• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you close to any nuclear targets?

SteveSS

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
I know there are obvious targets then like second or third-tier targets. We're goners here in Colorado Springs. We have an Air Force base, an Army base, the US Air Force Academy, part of the Space Force, and above all the Norad Cheyenne Mountain facility. About the only higher ones would be Washinton D.C. and Norad in Nebraska.

Headquarters for NORAD and the NORAD/United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM) center are located at Peterson Space Force Base in El Paso County, near Colorado Springs, Colorado. The nearby Cheyenne Mountain Complex has the Alternate Command Center. The NORAD commander and deputy commander are, respectively, a United States four-star general.

Connecticut is/was a target for sure. We have the Navy Sub base in Groton, Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky helicopters, plus we'd get plenty of fall out just from being half way between New York City and Boston. My Mom & Dad were ready to bug-out of the State during the Cuban missile crisis in 62. By the 1980s we realized it would be pointless to hit the highways if the air raid sirens alarmed because they'd be jammed with cars. After Reagan and Gorbachev cooled off the threat, it felt like the world took a breath. Today we don't have to worry about an enemy with thousands of missiles as much as a lunatic with one.

Close enough to be smoked.
Dc is about 50 or so as the crow flies
Don't think about that much though

Connecticut is/was a target for sure. We have the Navy Sub base in Groton, Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky helicopters, plus we'd get plenty of fall out just from being half way between New York City and Boston. My Mom & Dad were ready to bug-out of the State during the Cuban missile crisis in 62. By the 1980s we realized it would be pointless to hit the highways if the air raid sirens alarmed because they'd be jammed with cars. After Reagan and Gorbachev cooled off the threat, it felt like the world took a breath. Today we don't have to worry about an enemy with thousands of missiles as much as a lunatic with one.
Agree you miss anything. We'd be a nuclear waste site. You have to stay in your house for 2 weeks if you have one.

Grade school, 1960s
hide under your desk, do not look out the windows.

No.
Not unless they want to blow up some kangaroos.

When I was a kid growing up in Cleveland post WW II in the early 50's, we had an underground "Nike" anti aircraft missile base in the next east side city to where we lived, one of many surrounding Cleveland. It was a targeted city due to many steel there mills back then. From what I read about Pittsburgh, where I have lived since 1972, same deal here.. many Nike missile bases surrounded Pittsburgh with the many major steel mills here and certainly back in the 50's, Pittsburgh was a prime bombing target. There was a Nike base in North Park just a few miles from where I now live in the north Pittsburgh suburbs. There are still a couple of mills operating here, but all the missile bases are long gone and so is massive steel production. Don't think we are in a targeted area any longer, least hope not....

I used to live five blocks from the USAF museum and WPAFB.
I had a friend that lived with his brother on base housing, literally right across the street.
At the time it was the 16th largest military installation in the world.
That friend and I had a plan.
If we ever got the "two minute warning" or what ever it was...
We were gonna get as many beers as we could, get a couple lawn chairs (preferably loungers), and sit in his front yard and watch.

Don't know for sure because we're not near any major military installation. However, the nearby plant site I work at might be a lower tier target if they go after aerospace defense contractors since Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky and Aerojet Rocketdyne all have a presence there. Not a big production site, but we do a lot of engineering and testing.

WI:
Makes combat ships
Makes combat vehicles
makes the trailers for the vehicles and whatever else they want to mount on the trailer chassis
Makes a couple other things related
Makes little stuff even, like the boots down in Racine.

Except I don't think even commies want to nuke the biggest fresh water source on the planet. Maybe, but seems counter productive.

Besides, my guess is we have kamikazee drones with neurotoxin in them flown by a room full of teenagers half a planet away. No muss no fuss. Whack all the citizens and clean them up later, no harm to buildings, infrastructure, nature.
Nukes are a scary talking point but are obsolete outside of mutual destruction defense theory. For conquerors, they are too messy and too restrictive, outside of the fact you would conquer a worthless landscape. China wants our farmland, water, and natural resources. So if they bomb anything it will be mega cities far enough away from any of the things they want it doesn't matter. Like LA.

We have a lost Mark 15 thermonuclear off the coast of Tybee Island (Savannah, GA.)

We bombed ourselves.
:wetting:

Kenda is a show about a police detective who solved a lot of murders in Colo Spgs. Where I live, north of the USAFA we look right at Mount Herman. I could be there in less than 15 minutes. The dropoffs on that mountain road are so steep and wooded I don't see how anyone could find a body you just kicked out of your car. There are cars they don't find until the snow melts.

Like a lot of cities it depends on the neighborhood. Down by the airport, nope. Up by the little town of Momument, I see a cop car about once a month.

(Okay not me personally like in front of my house!)

They say most post blast fallout will degrade in approx two weeks, and staying inside away from any fallout is crucial for survival.
That being said, most if not all nuclear power Plants are targeted, and I suspect with enough explosive force to overcome any and all protective shielding of the Nuclear core.
So the question becomes, does the bombing fallout from a nuke power plant and surrounding area for hundreds of miles just become another Chernobyl with a 10,000? year half-life vs the typical 2 week period we are warned about and staying inside worthless?

We have a lost Mark 15 thermonuclear off the coast of Tybee Island (Savannah, GA.)

We bombed ourselves.
:wetting:

So the "...hold my beer watch this...." did NOT work out too well for ya'll

Cherynobyl has TONS of vegetation, plants, animals, ok, 3 eyed fish in the lake, but it is alive. You can buy a tour of the joint.

Also consider, Russia for example has 6500? warheads, I doubt they would launch everyone in an attack, so maybe 5200?
Assume 200 will not explode or fail.
That means if equally divided among states which it will not be, every state gets 100 bombs. Connecticut however will not get the same amount as say California IMO.
Think for a moment if 100 bombs are detonated in your state , where can you be to not at the least be downwind of your states bombs or a neighboring state. forgetting the initial blast effects?
It should be sobering.
I moved from St Louis to So Fla in 1955. My Dr said he can see evidence of Nuke testing in X rays of my lungs from being downwind in the Midwest.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back