• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you close to any nuclear targets?

Interesting listening causing one to pause

Not sure how many can last thru this 3+ hour interview.
Here are some highlights from this credible author, a nuke attack on the coastline of Calif of a Nuclear power plant for instance will kill everybody by radiation released all the way to Denver, for thousands of years, a nuke bomb has 10's of pounds of nuclear material, a nuke plant has thousands of pounds, 5 billion people will die in a full-bore nuke exchange between Russia and the US, any single nuclear missile attack will evolve quickly into WW3, because of baked in worldwide deterrence strategy's, US has over 5000 warheads, but only approx 1700 are currently "deliverable", meaning sitting on launch vehicles, Russia has about 1600, Russia has an unreliable unsophisticated warning system prone to false alarms, to carry out a counterattack, there is approx a 6 minute real time window after adversarial missile launch detection to make the decision to launch a return strike, a 1 MT nuke will also cause massive fires within 100 mile radius of detonation from the heat produced and blindness for anyone looking within 50 miles, the predictable nuclear winter will drop Temps 30+F, and block out 70% sunlight for years resulting in mass starvation worldwide.
Watch the link for the basis for the above. It is bleak.

Last edited:
When I was a kid growing up in Cleveland post WW II in the early 50's, we had an underground "Nike" anti aircraft missile base in the next east side city to where we lived, one of many surrounding Cleveland. It was a targeted city due to many steel there mills back then. From what I read about Pittsburgh, where I have lived since 1972, same deal here.. many Nike missile bases surrounded Pittsburgh with the many major steel mills here and certainly back in the 50's, Pittsburgh was a prime bombing target. There was a Nike base in North Park just a few miles from where I now live in the north Pittsburgh suburbs. There are still a couple of mills operating here, but all the missile bases are long gone and so is massive steel production. Don't think we are in a targeted area any longer, least hope not....
along lakeshore it was the Nike Missile sites I remember them well I was still in the service when we had to fill them in kids would will have to look and see if I could dig up some old photos

NIKE MISSILE BASES | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University
1721405600594.png

About 20 minutes south of MacDill AFB (SOCOM and CENTCOM), probably far enough to not be vaporized at least! Anyone else here played Fallout...?

Hey Snakeyes, Thank for the info and video. Born in 1949 and I grew up in Maple Hts. The base I remember was the one in Warrensville or Warrensville Heights ? My uncle lived somewhere not far from that site and we visited him quite often. I remember us driving by that missile site and my dad would always point out where it was.
Found this video of exploration of a Pittsburgh area Nike missile site that's located at a police & fire training center located in Allison park, it's just a few miles from where I currently live in the North Hills of Pittsburgh area.

Last edited:
The patrol ship my father was on was on the perimeter of one of the Bikini tests. They gave them special glasses and when the time came they faced away from the blast, saw the flash reflected off the ship, heard the rumble, felt the hot wind and turned around and saw the mushroom!

My favorite is Atomic Anne the M65 Howitzer!

That was interesting, so to add they later had two versions, one conventional warhead and another a Nuke, main propose was to neutralize incoming Nukes by blowing up another nuke nearby. Guess it didn't take too long to figure out if successful. that many nukes blown up over/near a target city was still not a very good outcome. Can't see from that launch process/cycle firing in less than 2 minutes, meaning that defense was somewhat easy to overwhelm, even if all they were only bombers. I visited that location but not that exhibit, I regret that. Thank you for sharing.

About 20 minutes south of MacDill AFB (SOCOM and CENTCOM), probably far enough to not be vaporized at least! Anyone else here played Fallout...?

I disagree.

You're a gonner.

...and so am I, 50-65 miles away.

This type of scenario was easy to research as early as the 1980's.

Parts of South America and Australia...maybe.

I spent some time traveling Australia in the early 80's. In the local newspapers there was a discussion going at the time over whether Australia should join the nuclear powers. The number one reason given of why the public was in favor of having nukes, was to stop the billions north of Australia from invading their country post nuclear exchange elsewhere in the world .

not since all the steel mills closed, now they're closing the power plants.

Fairly close at all times.....

infrared-fart-175588.gif

Does it really mater ? It will be the end for all of us. Those who live will just suffer then die.

Auto Transport Service
Back