• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bit by the Hellcat bug...what would you do?

I`m waitng for a wrecked one come up again for a rebuild

I figured the replies would lean heavily towards keeping the bird, but I didn't think it would be 100%.
Good advice from all. Would hate to have buyer's remorse just moments after pulling the trigger!

Thanks to all for your input. I'll put the cat fantasy on the back burner and watch the market.

KEEP THE BIRD !!!!!!! Unless you have the cash to buy the Hellcat also (like RC), IMHO, it's stupid to get rid of a classic and a dd, to go into debt and just have one car especially taking into consideration what Prop said about drivability and what other members have said about there will always be new cars coming out but they will never make more 69 birds.

That's what the Camaro, Mustang and Tri-five guys said. If the demand is there......lol.

Man o man...I would love to get a Hellcat. Problem is, I would have to sell the roadrunner and my daily driver 06 charger to free up some down payment money. I'd still have to finance probably $20-30K.

What would you do? Go for the cat or keep the bird?

If I had the extra car funds, to spend & an extra $60k+
& especially extra room in my garage for anther car {my cars don't sit outside},
I'd buy a Hellcat in a New York Minute !!
But, I don't think I'd sell my RR to get one thou...

never say never thou !!

I figured the replies would lean heavily towards keeping the bird, but I didn't think it would be 100%.
Good advice from all. Would hate to have buyer's remorse just moments after pulling the trigger!

Thanks to all for your input. I'll put the cat fantasy on the back burner and watch the market.

sold one of my early coupes to buy a more modern car with Hp and a radio ,didnt last long got rid of it and bought my coupe back don't need no stinking radio and the rest of the **** that coupe was a lot more fun no radio no air no carpet just a lot of balls and open headers those where the days and not a lot of the stinking traffic

I know there are many guys here that think the Hellcat is all that, but in my opinion, there are to many Challengers out there now. Most people won't even give it a second thought because it's just that, a glorified Challenger. However this is the type of vehicle that a young man that has money, I state MONEY, should buy, drive it very little, store it and wait 40 - 50 years and get there money back. Of course this statement is made by a guy and his gal that That survive on SS and a little retirement money.

I bet this will get you all going!!!

I had my heart set on buying a Hellcat but my smart brain kicked in, yeah it is a cool car, you buy it, it immediately deprecates the moment you drive off the lot, so if you pay 75,000 you lose money. I have a 2011 Green with Envy SRT8, with 6,000 miles on it, so they will now give me 30,000 as a trade in, well now my brain kicks in. Why don't you buy something that is proven to hold it value, really cool, people will break their necks to see it drive by.... so I found me a 1970 Superbird 440-6 four speed with only 49,000 miles on it. My opinion appreciate what you have! CH1014-201285_12.jpgCH1014-201285_4.jpgCH1014-201285_6.jpg Robert

I tell my wife and parents all the time that I can't understand why people are never happy with what they have. The old saying goes you never really understand what you had till it's gone. Don't do it man. I have a beat up old 67 charger and I'm happy as a lark. Hellcat wouldn't make me any happier. It just like a new old lady eventually they are all the same so atleast find one you are comfortable with lol

Keep the bird & get the Hellcat. Sell the daily driver for the downpayment, finance the rest, get the Hellcat, keep it for a few years & then sell it. Or, do the same, but in the end, after a few years decide if you prefer the hellcat over the runner, then sell the bird and put the money into the hellcat loan.

I'd rather have a Superbird now that Sixpakrob brought his up! You never see these beauties being driven. What a shame.

Tough decision. The runner is a special car for sure. I was going to sell mine to free up space in the garage but the wife and daughter convinced me to sell my Mini Cooper. First allocation 2015 Hellcats will be less then 3000 in number. I was lucky enough to get one and pay cash for it. This car will a piece of Mopar history forever. If you can get one, do it but, don't get in over your head.

Last edited:
Tough decision. The runner is a special car for sure. I was going to sell mine to free up space in the garage but the wife and daughter convinced me to see my Mini Cooper. First allocation 2015 Hellcats will be less then 3000. I was lucky enough to get one and pay cash for it. This car will a piece of Mopar history forever. If you can get one, do it but, don't get in over your head.

You ordered one & it came in, or bought one off the lot? My order is still in Hellcat limbo.

Sell a 69 Road Runner to get a flash in the pan new car with a name fail??????

As Bugs Bunny might say: "You'll be SORRY!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Lad-In_His_Lamp

Legal disclaimer:
(Your premise is that the choice is one for the other, not both. Those who don't have to make that choice are excluded from this evaluation. )

Sell a 69 Road Runner to get a flash in the pan new car with a name fail??????

As Bugs Bunny might say: "You'll be SORRY!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-Lad-In_His_Lamp

Legal disclaimer:
(Your premise is that the choice is one for the other, not both. Those who don't have to make that choice are excluded from this evaluation. )
I would respectfully disagree. Thing is most cars don't make a hell of a lot of sense financially. In the end, it's nothing but passion. In the end... do you want it, do you like it? Is it worth it to you?

Just think, in 1970 for less than 5,000 you could own any hemi car Chrysler built and today they are worth a mint. You could buy many hemi cars you could have brought for the same you'll pay for a Hellcat. You could sell one of the hemi cars today and buy two hellcats. Just a thought.

The truth is... I like the comfort ride of the 2011 Challenger for sure and faster than most production cars back then, stock from the dealer floor.

Just think, in 1970 for less than 5,000 you could own any hemi car Chrysler built and today they are worth a mint. You could buy many hemi cars you could have brought for the same you'll pay for a Hellcat. You could sell one of the hemi cars today and buy two hellcats. Just a thought.

The truth is... I like the comfort ride of the 2011 Challenger for sure and faster than most production cars back then, stock from the dealer floor.
Yeah, in 1970 my dad made around 7000 a year working in a steel mill. He bought a Riviera brand new for around 6k. Guys in the mills make around 70K now so...

Auto Transport Service
Back