• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blown fuses that do not look blown

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Just a heads up.
I just replaced 2 blown fuses in our 72 cutlass that looked great even after pulling them out.
I was already scratching my head what the issue is when someone recommended me testing them with a multimeter continuity test.
Turns out those visually beautiful looking fuses were actually bad.

So turns out looks really can be decieving. :D

Newer glass fuses tend to separate that way. One of the first things I do with a parts car is remove and test all the glass fuses. Then store the good ones. Take one of the tested bad fuses and tug a little on the metal end caps and it will probably separate at one end or the other.

Thats why I cringe when people post an electrical problem and state all the fuses are good. Then when asked did you test them? You get the Deer in the headlight look and they say I know they are good because I looked at them. Then they get testy when you tell them how they should test them. Then they never come back to tell you if it was fixed or not. Or if they do they have some other cock and bull story on what fixed it.

Thats why I cringe when people post an electrical problem and state all the fuses are good. Then when asked did you test them? You get the Deer in the headlight look and they say I know they are good because I looked at them. Then they get testy when you tell them how they should test them. Then they never come back to tell you if it was fixed or not. Or if they do they have some other cock and bull story on what fixed it.
Testing the fuse is the only way to detrrmine if it's good or bad. An inexpensive multi meter set to ohms will tell you if the fuse is good .....0 ohms = good any other reading = replace the fuse. Visualization is an extremely unreliable method......just my opinion of course
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back