• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil Suggestion

TL44

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
70 RR, 383, 30 over,Hemi Street Grind/purple shaft cam. Firecore distributor to convert to electronic ign. Started getting a miss under load, 2nd and 3rd. I pulled the coil wire from the Accel Super Coil and oil poured out, the coil is 6yrs old and the second Accel Super coil I've had on it since I had the car (2016) I'm looking for suggestions on a different coil that would be good for my setup.

Thanks in advance!

Ive always used nothing but OE stock mopar coils and have yet had one fail in 40 years
And I have an nos one on the shelf,,,,JUST IN CASE that changes

But most of my stuff is stock, or real close to it

I think mine was a Firecore branded one Firecore recommended when I bought their distributor.

Are U running a ballast resistor??
My experience with a Mopar electronic ignition system...
When one starts to mixing different brand ignition components certain product reliability issues happen..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

You need to factor in the Ohm's. Factory Mopar coils are 1.5 Ohms
You can run .6 or as much as 3.0 Ohms. As asked above did you eliminate the ballast ?
What electronic conversion are you using ?
I got lost about a Firecore Distributor being converted to electronic.

You should really tell us what type of ignition your using? You said a firecore converted to electronic ignition ? If you are using a typical Mopar Orange ECU , which is what I run, I run a MSD Street fire coil with , with a .8 ohm ballast resistor . Has run flawless for 5 years now

Cheers

You should really tell us what type of ignition your using? You said a firecore converted to electronic ignition ? If you are using a typical Mopar Orange ECU , which is what I run, I run a MSD Street fire coil with , with a .8 ohm ballast resistor . Has run flawless for 5 years now

Cheers

Think he means he's has installed a Fire Core distributor and has converted to an electronic ignition system of some sort ? What electronic ignition he's referring to is a mystery, and coil choice suggestions would depend on an answer to that question.

Unless something has changed from when I bought and installed the conversion kit many years ago, here's what I can tell you. Since the the"orange Box" Mopar kit replaces the points distributor, it was intended to use a "stock coil" and "stock ballast resistor" same as the points system and would have been original to the car. The function of the ballast is to be a current limiter for the coil which helped extend the life of the points which were subjected arcing as the coil is initially energized. The condenser associated with the coil kept the sparking of the points from causing static and interference with the cars AM radio.
In the Mopar "Orange Box" system, the switching action of the points is a power transistor that doing the switching on-off of the coil. The reluctor in the distributor magnetically creates electrical pulses to feed the orange box electronics that among other things controls the on-off cycling of the power transistor.. I run with a stock coil and stock resistor. The orange box that came with the Mopar kit I bought from Mancini did fail after about 2 years of operation after I did the conversion. A replacment orange box still going strong after some 10 years now. I had used the Mopar distributor for a year or so and found that it produced mixed results and was never very happy with the physical quality of it, timing did not remain stable IMO. I upgraded to the FireCore distributor that I've had for about 12 years with no issues, runs perfect and timing remains rock stable, so that was a good choice. I do however carry a spare coil, spare ballast resistor and spare orange box, and multi-meter just in case.. I try to keep my 66 Charger as original as is reasonable, so still run with stock coil and ballast resistor with no isssues. Of various brand coils, some want a ballast resistor and some say it's not required. Perhaps you may want to consider the stock coil and resistor My opinion, sure some may disagree..

Unless something has changed from when I bought and installed the conversion kit many years ago, here's what I can tell you. Since the the"orange Box" Mopar kit replaces the points distributor, it was intended to use a "stock coil" and "stock ballast resistor" same as the points system and would have been original to the car. The function of the ballast is to be a current limiter for the coil which helped extend the life of the points which were subjected arcing as the coil is initially energized. The condenser associated with the coil kept the sparking of the points from causing static and interference with the cars AM radio.
In the Mopar "Orange Box" system, the switching action of the points is a power transistor that doing the switching on-off of the coil. The reluctor in the distributor magnetically creates electrical pulses to feed the orange box electronics that among other things controls the on-off cycling of the power transistor.. I run with a stock coil and stock resistor. The orange box that came with the Mopar kit I bought from Mancini did fail after about 2 years of operation after I did the conversion. A replacment orange box still going strong after some 10 years now. I had used the Mopar distributor for a year or so and found that it produced mixed results and was never very happy with the physical quality of it, timing did not remain stable IMO. I upgraded to the FireCore distributor that I've had for about 12 years with no issues, runs perfect and timing remains rock stable, so that was a good choice. I do however carry a spare coil, spare ballast resistor and spare orange box, and multi-meter just in case.. I try to keep my 66 Charger as original as is reasonable, so still run with stock coil and ballast resistor with no isssues. Of various brand coils, some want a ballast resistor and some say it's not required. Perhaps you may want to consider the stock coil and resistor My opinion, sure some may disagree..
Thanks! I have been running with a stock resistor, I did order a stock coil and bracket (got a good price on it) so I'll give that a go and see.

Firecore should have a recommended coil for their ignition system. If you mix and match parts you need to make sure the coil is compatable with the ignition system.

Actually the purpose of the condenser in a points distributor was not to limit radio static interference but...
To control and minimize the arcing of the points contacts, everytime there is an arc the points get a small buildup of material that eventually can/will cause the points to fail..

The condenser associated with the coil kept the sparking of the points from causing static and interference with the cars AM radio.

Actually the purpose of the condenser in a points distributor was not to limit radio static interference
Both correct and both speaking of two different condensers .
1 for the coil, 1 for the points, and 1 for the IVR
If equipped with radio.

Forgot to include that in my ramblings.
No biggee.. :)
Ur explanation was very complete. The only other thing I would comment on is the Mopar Orange Box..
Over the years, Mopar had many sources and its been my experience in the later years its quality and reliability went downhill..

Radio ? The sound of that purring kitten under the hood is all I need !! :poke: :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back