• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering buying this 1970 Super Bee. Talk me out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize, but it's going to cost me at least 2 grand to go check it out so I like to get my decision pretty tight before I spend that time and money. An honest seller is willing to run a magnet for you on a video these days.

actually, an honest seller would have detailed pictures of the problem areas on these cars

There’s no reason to check the body with a magnet. Because it’s a 70, you should just walk away and start looking for a 68 or 69 instead.

Yeah the same old jokes sure do get old but at least no one posted their oh so valuable wisdom no one ever heard before: "It's worth what you're willing to pay."

Well you did say in post #1 to trash the car. :lol:

This car fits my preferences .... B-body, orange on black, big block, 4-speed, manual everything..... so my opinion is probably biased, but I would make the effort to physically get hands and eyes on it, try and negotiate a couple grand off the price and pull the trigger if I didn't find any major flaws.

I would buy it if it checks out to be good. And then the first thing I would do is remove the MSD box (I hate those things) AND replace the battery cables. Universal battery cable terminals, especially on a car like that, drive me CRAZY. Those universal terminals have their place and it's NOT on a car like that. Good luck.

I can't remember what I paid for my HemiCuda roller when I bought it sight unseen. I think I paid $18k which was about $20k too much. I will never buy a car without laying hands on it again no matter what pictures look like. Looks good in this photo though right?
Left lock piller was shoved back about an inch and built up with bondo for a start. There was brass on the top of that quarter panel patching up a tear in the sheetmetal, POR15 covering up all the floors. That was just the start of it.

IMG_20191221_0003.jpg

I can't remember what I paid for my HemiCuda roller when I bought it sight unseen. I think I paid $18k which was about $20k too much. I will never buy a car without laying hands on it again no matter what pictures look like. Looks good in this photo though right?

View attachment 1710462
Was that car from SK ??

If that is the one you are referring to, I think it went from Sk to either Alta, or BC then maybe somewhere else.
Pretty sure it ended up in BC .. it was a 4 speed I believe?

Y'all knew this was coming...

For posterity:

VIN: WM23N0A153611

do you have the master list somewhere?
Not me.

I just post the VIN from ads for possible future reference, or future searches. Also, among other reasons, I like to see ad pictures posted in case the car has changed if it is advertised in the future.

Upper one is from Facebook Marketplace ad and the lower one is a zoom-in on the license plate.

Screenshot_20240813-210819~2.png
Screenshot_20240813-210819~3.png

Michigan plate: NCF 534

Dude, what is not to like?! 4 speed!!

If you’re serious about needing an intervention, take this thread to a Camaro site to get talked out of mainlining more Mopar.

Ain’t nothing but hard core Mopar junkies over here, ain’t no one gonna tell you to slow down on that ‘70. Not here. Buy it.

Owner has the original numbers matching motor.

He needs to send pictures of the original block and include pictures of stamped numbers and casting numbers.

Is the block in the car an HP block or just a garden variety 383-2V from a C-body.

Is the trans numbers matching?

Are you in pursuit of a numbers matching car?

Numbers on radiator support (whatever it's called) match?

Numbers on trunk gutter match?

Ad pictures aren't good enough to assess quality of paint and body.

Were the floor panels patched or replaced?

Ditto trunk pan?

I don't like the shut lines / fit on the passenger door.

The fit of the driver's door, fender, and cowl looks odd to me. Closer inspection in person required.

The seats look like they don't have new foam underneath the new upholstery.

I would trash the exhaust pipes, tailpipes, and mufflers. Yeah, use factory hangers.

Battery cables. Ugh. Remove and replace as someone already mentioned. Make sure you route them correctly.

Sloppy work in the vicinity of the fender tag. Painted over the pitting as someone already mentioned. I almost mentioned this sloppy work the other day via pm.

I could barely read the fuzzy Broadcast Sheet, but this car came with the code J45 hood pins. Heavy duty brakes too. Maybe the seller can send you better pictures of the broadcast sheet.

How long has the seller owned this car?

He isn't mechanically inclined? That could explain some of the things we don't like, or are asking about like the floor and trunk pans.

Has the car always been in Michigan?

Hey, this is a 54 year old car. Looks pretty darned good compared to others at higher asking prices.

Maybe a knowledgeable FBBO member can look the car over for you?

$47,000 for a 383 magnum 4 speed car? When are you flying out to look it over and drive it back home?

I looked over his Facebook profile and didn't immediately see any red flags. Looks like a regular family guy.

save me from making stupid decisions

The only stupid decision would be to buy it without a thorough inspection. You won't make a stupid decision.

This car is worthy of pursuing further.

He needs to send pictures of the original block and include pictures of stamped numbers and casting numbers.

Is the block in the car an HP block or just a garden variety 383-2V from a C-body.

Is the trans numbers matching?

Are you in pursuit of a numbers matching car?

Numbers on radiator support (whatever it's called) match?

Numbers on trunk gutter match?

Ad pictures aren't good enough to assess quality of paint and body.

Were the floor panels patched or replaced?

Ditto trunk pan?

I don't like the shut lines / fit on the passenger door.

The fit of the driver's door, fender, and cowl looks odd to me. Closer inspection in person required.

The seats look like they don't have new foam underneath the new upholstery.

I would trash the exhaust pipes, tailpipes, and mufflers. Yeah, use factory hangers.

Battery cables. Ugh. Remove and replace as someone already mentioned. Make sure you route them correctly.

Sloppy work in the vicinity of the fender tag. Painted over the pitting as someone already mentioned. I almost mentioned this sloppy work the other day via pm.

I could barely read the fuzzy Broadcast Sheet, but this car came with the code J45 hood pins. Heavy duty brakes too. Maybe the seller can send you better pictures of the broadcast sheet.

How long has the seller owned this car?

He isn't mechanically inclined? That could explain some of the things we don't like, or are asking about like the floor and trunk pans.

Has the car always been in Michigan?

Hey, this is a 54 year old car. Looks pretty darned good compared to others at higher asking prices.

Maybe a knowledgeable FBBO member can look the car over for you?

$47,000 for a 383 magnum 4 speed car? When are you flying out to look it over and drive it back home?

I looked over his Facebook profile and didn't immediately see any red flags. Looks like a regular family guy.
That's certainly a thorough and worrisome list. Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back