• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering buying this 1970 Super Bee. Talk me out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just entering the drywalling stage of building a house right now and do not have a weekend of drive time to spare, as my house already sold and I have to be out by mid Oct. The new build has to be 100% completed before we are allowed to occupy it by law so I cannot even store things in the new garage and stay in an air bnb if the house is not ready by the date I have to turn over these keys. Otherwise I would have gone visit my Indiana family and taken a trip to see this car already. I'm what you might call run ragged right now. I even had to quit my volunteer coaching position to try to get things on track, as the early part of the build season was constant heavy rain and we got a very late start. The other option of flying out and storing it at my brother's until my garage is ready hit a snag when I realized you can't fly with that much cash. Plus he rents his house as an air bnb during ND home games and I'm not comfortable with the car being accessible to people partying. Keys or no keys it would be too much of a temptation to molest. DeltaV did scare the hell out of me with his list though critiquing all of the body panel fitting. If he's right that indicates serious restoration.
Sounds like you already have more than enough on your plate. Don't include a car purchase to your daily stress at this time.

Sounds like you already have more than enough on your plate. Don't include a car purchase to your daily stress at this time.
I went through a period like that after my corporate tour ended. There were plenty of nice cars waiting when it was over, and it was easier to strike a good deal with a clear head.

Less than one year ago this beautiful example sold for $40,000 on Bring A Trailer

Screenshot_20240814-163640~2.png

For posterity:

VIN: WM21N0E119446

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-super-bee-28/

Edit to add fender tag

1970_dodge_super-bee_20231026_152730_resized-66082.jpg

Last edited:
I am just entering the drywalling stage of building a house right now and do not have a weekend of drive time to spare, as my house already sold and I have to be out by mid Oct. The new build has to be 100% completed before we are allowed to occupy it by law so I cannot even store things in the new garage and stay in an air bnb if the house is not ready by the date I have to turn over these keys. Otherwise I would have gone visit my Indiana family and taken a trip to see this car already. I'm what you might call run ragged right now. I even had to quit my volunteer coaching position to try to get things on track, as the early part of the build season was constant heavy rain and we got a very late start. The other option of flying out and storing it at my brother's until my garage is ready hit a snag when I realized you can't fly with that much cash. Plus he rents his house as an air bnb during ND home games and I'm not comfortable with the car being accessible to people partying. Keys or no keys it would be too much of a temptation to molest. DeltaV did scare the hell out of me with his list though critiquing all of the body panel fitting. If he's right that indicates serious restoration.

It turn out that this whole thread was just a waste, as threads like this usually are.

It does seem like he is trying to do his homework before buying a car. Most people impulse buy and end up regretting their purchase. There is no substitute for doing an in person inspection of the car.

Wrong. Seller is making a video this weekend and taking more and better photos.

It turn out that this whole thread was just a waste, as threads like this usually are.
How is cataloging information and attempting to pedigree one of the rarer and most desirable models a waste of time? This serves as a resource for other potential buyers going forward as well as people looking for the original motors etc. for their cars when the numbers are listed. This sort of exercise serves a number of valuable purposes for posterity.

It does seem like he is trying to do his homework before buying a car. Most people impulse buy and end up regretting their purchase. There is no substitute for doing an in person inspection of the car.

Nothing wrong with doing homework, but admittedly, the OP has more important home projects and it sounds like getting involved with a 50+K old car that needs work is the last thing that he should get into at this time. I'm sure that most everyone here would agree.

If a 70 Bee is what he wants, then he should do some research, ask questions here & talk to owners of other owners at car shows. Most of all, be patient and go see a car in person. DO NOT solely rely on pictures and cell phone videos. Everything can be made to look good in pictures.

Wrong. Seller is making a video this weekend and taking more and better photos.
How is cataloging information and attempting to pedigree one of the rarer and most desirable models a waste of time? This serves as a resource for other potential buyers going forward as well as people looking for the original motors etc. for their cars when the numbers are listed. This sort of exercise serves a number of valuable purposes for posterity

A 1970 383 Super Bee is not really a rare car & desirability is subjective oin comparison to other years. But back to this particular car .... Enlarge what few pictures he has in his ebay ad and you can see that the engine compartment & exhaust system both are a complete mess.

Ask yourself why the seller doesn't have much of a description of the car in his ad and notice that what minimal pictures he did supply really don't show much. There's a reason for that & to me, that's a warning that the seller is not very forthcoming, which should be taken as a major red flag.

However, if you're asking him to send pictures and videos to just gain knowledge for yourself, then all you're doing is jerking the seller around.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth of advice. Take it for what it's worth.

Nothing wrong with doing homework, but admittedly, the OP has more important home projects and it sounds like getting involved with a 50+K old car that needs work is the last thing that he should get into at this time. I'm sure that most everyone here would agree.

If a 70 Bee is what he wants, then he should do some research, ask questions here & talk to owners of other owners at car shows. Most of all, be patient and go see a car in person. DO NOT solely rely on pictures and cell phone videos. Everything can be made to look good in pictures.

A 1970 383 Super Bee is not really a rare car & desirability is subjective oin comparison to other years. But back to this particular car .... Enlarge what few pictures he has in his ebay ad and you can see that the engine compartment & exhaust system both are a complete mess.

[/URL][/URL]

Ask yourself why the seller doesn't have much of a description of the car in his ad and notice that what minimal pictures he did supply really don't show much. There's a reason for that & to me, that's a warning that the seller is not very forthcoming, which should be taken as a major red flag.

However, if you're asking him to send pictures and videos to just gain knowledge for yourself, then all you're doing is jerking the seller around.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth of advice. Take it for what it's worth.
I think RC has nailed the issues here. He is a serious Mopar guy who has bought and sold some heavy hitter cars over the years, in a mix of markets. He is offering his experience without charging a consulting fee. Gift horse in the mouth, so to speak. My own experience is on a slightly lower level, but consistent with his. Personal inspection, period. Time out, not a bad idea.

What better place than FBBO to ask questions and seek help before a purchase? Still, as already pointed out multiple times, don't make a purchase before inspecting it first hand.

However, if you're asking him to send pictures and videos to just gain knowledge for yourself, then all you're doing is jerking the seller around
Agree, but Facebook Marketplace sellers (especially) don't hesitate to ask for a premium price while offering very little in terms of picture quantity/quality, useful pictures (e.g., 5 pictures of one side and 1 of the other side), along with a short, poor description. Do they ever wonder why their car doesn't sell or few people call them?

I like the orange, I like the front end, and I like the pistol grip.

What better place than FBBO to ask questions and seek help before a purchase? Still, as already pointed out multiple times, don't make a purchase before inspecting it first hand.

Agree, but Facebook Marketplace sellers (especially) don't hesitate to ask for a premium price while offering very little in terms of picture quantity/quality, useful pictures (e.g., 5 pictures of one side and 1 of the other side), along with a short, poor description. Do they ever wonder why their car doesn't sell or few people call them?
Right. Don't want your time wasted? Then do the work up front in description and photos. I've been selling on FB for years and in all this time the only people who have actually shown up on time with full agreed upon price were few and far between. 90% of my messages are the awful "Is this still for available?" that never follow up, and the rest ask questions I clearly answered in the description, having never read it. I watch all the ebay auctions for these cars. They get 100+ followers immediately and what most commonly happens is they fail to reach reserve and then relist with an opening floor of the last auction's highest bid, with the same sky high reserve, and get zero bids. Taking time up front to make a proper ad can do a lot of the back end work for you. Assuming anyone actually reads.

Which tells me that the person selling it is probably under the age of 35, which means that they won't talk on the phone. All communication will most likely be via text messages; short and cryptic. Another red flag.

I like text.
Both parties convenience.
...and you have a record to refer to later.

I like text.
Both parties convenience.
...and you have a record to refer to later.
Exactly. And I'm not on the spot trying to remember every little thing I need info on. Why anyone thinks texting is inconvenient is beyond me. It takes a lot less time and energy and can include photos to verify most claims.

I always post these threads now so you guys can trash a car and save me from making stupid decisions. Fire away.

Owner has the original numbers matching motor. I asked what he would do to the car with 10K to throw at it as he seems to have been doing upgrades when necessary. He said he'd rebuild the original motor and otherwise the car is solid except for it has a slight run on after turning off the key (timing probably) and a small oil leak.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Facebook - log in or sign up marketplace/item/816794730109177

Just copy the above Facebook url and delete that empty space to link directly to the ad.

View attachment 1710073

View attachment 1710074

View attachment 1710075

View attachment 1710076

View attachment 1710077

View attachment 1710078

View attachment 1710079

View attachment 1710080

View attachment 1710081

View attachment 1710082

Advertised as having 70,000 miles

Screenshot_20240815-204708~2.png