• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disaster, almost

never say never , had that happen with one of my engines when i owned it , but back in my younger days in the 70's i owned a few different brands of hp cars , had a 70 boss 302 mustang , it was very fast only after some mods cam , dizzy , carb , headers the street treatment . big wild cam , big tube full length header , with a power brand of 4700-8500 rpm , you know street car , lol . well i sell the thing and the guy was it for about a week , calls me up and tells me the cars engine is broken and want to know what machine shop did the work so he cab have them fix it . well i say it's not there fault the engine was fine when he got the car . he says yes it was fine , but some one was helping him with the air cleaner , and yes dropped the wing nut some where but placed the air cleaner on the carb . and while his buddy was looking for it , he started the car , rev'd it up some and then he found the wingnut , yes it had been in the carb . when he hit the throttle it dropped in the intake found its way passed the intake valve and in the cylinder with a piston traveling up the cylinder , well not enough room and kicked the piston sideways in the cylinder and cranked the wall . well after shelving the cylinder and putting it back together , he had that wingnut mounted with a copy of the build for the repair bill on his wall .

I was not trying to imply you made that mistake Doug. Just that it looks familiar. And I KNOW Bob's rat (my friend) was routinely into valve float.

Dang,every dog has a lucky day. How the heck did that get in there. Nice catch. :thumbsup:

I bought a 383 magnum from a 69 Super Bee. It would only turn so far each way. Took the valve covers off and an intake valve was stuck down. Rapped it a few times and the valve popped up. They gad dropped a carb bolt down the intake. Pulled the head off. Lapped the 1 valve in. Turned out to be a great runner. Kim

In 1st post the intake gasket is a different color along the top. Looks like manifold isn't compressing the gasket as much there? Would think gasket would be sucked down or is that runner where nut was?

There is a large magnet (4' diameter) taped to the outside of the rear of the aluminum pan under the daiper. It does a great job of retaining magnetic particles. The oil was changed right before all of this started. The filter was cut open, looked great. The cam is out. In my notes from the build prior to the 2022 season it states there were some pits in the intake #5 lobe. Obviously they're worse. I'm not sure the replacement cam hasn't been reground. It's hard to get a straight shot with the dial indicator on a lifter with the heads installed. Going to put it in a spare 440 block, attach the degree wheel to the cam itself, drop a lifter in and measure it. Obviously the numbers will have to be divided by two reading directly off the cam. At least one lifter wheel is damaged. A friend has some spares. I will check the other lifters in our fixture. If everything looks ok? I'll install this cam with the borrowed lifter pair in #1. Send this lifter for repair. The #1 lifter pair can be snuk ou through the distributor hole. I tried and was able to do that already. Kevin from I J crank scrapers has been very helpfull. he has a solution for the windage screen. Even sent me parts yesterday free. That's great service. I talked to many about the intake gasket issue. Going to try Ultra Grey. A fellow Indy head user said he tried everything. And that's what solved it for him. I do use it to seal the upper and lower intake halves with no gasket. We may make next weeks race.
Doug

Last edited:
I had a Comp billet roller a friend got used. Didn't know if it had been reground. It had the Comp numbers on it. Very close to what was in the engine. Same lobe family. .24 greater intake lift, 4 degrees more exh duration, 111 LCA instead of 112. Today was spent cleaning a old 440 block good enough so it would take the cam and a pair of lifters. Then modified a degree wheel to bolt to the cam. Got the dial indicator out and did all the math. Since there was no TDC w/o a crank I started at the intake C/L and worked my way from there. It is what it says. New lifter pair ordered from Isky yesterday. Windage screen ordered Sunday. Looked back on the 2022 build. Coil bind will be close. I checked each spring for coil bind then. For some reason all the springs with the greatest coil bind distance are on the intakes. So I'll shuflle them to the exhaust. Everything is cleaned up and ready to assemble starting tomorrow.
Doug

20240423_155247.jpg

20240423_104849.jpg

Today had to swapp springs around so it had enough coil bind clearance for the increased intake lift. The Pac 1224 springs will take .850". However I run them at 1.950" instead of the recommended 2.00". So each spring was removed and individually checked. Even though Pac lists bind at 1.100" 8 were less than 1.070" The springs with the greatest coil bind clearance went on the intakes since the new cam has .024: greater intake lift. Its close but itll all work. Can't work on it tomorrow. But everything is ready to put back together on Friday.
Doug

Cam is installed. Still waiting on the lifter pair. .837/.810 with checking springs and no lash. 285/296 on 111.5 lca. Had to measure every spring for coil bind. Put the ones with the most clearance on the intakes. It has .050" with lash. P to V .075" int, .110" exh without lash. Checked all the spring pressure on the engine today. All 285-290lbs on the seat except #8 exh. I have spares so I'll swap it. So far, so good.
Doug

Last edited:
Still waiting on the lifter pair.
hopefully they have them,, i just had my red zones rebuilt while getting everything ready on my mega block build and they took over 4 weeks.

hopefully they have them,, i just had my red zones rebuilt while getting everything ready on my mega block build and they took over 4 weeks.
It's in transit already.
Doug

Got the lifter this afternoon. Had everything already reassembled. Just had to slip the lifter pair through the distributor hole. A little finagaling with a magnet and it was set. Lashed it, primed it to make sure it oiled up through the pushrods. installed the pump drive and distributor. Fired right up. Tommorow it'll get a timing check and trans fluid topped off. Then it's into the trailer for Wednesday test and tune at Milan dragway.
Doug

Got the lifter this afternoon. Had everything already reassembled. Just had to slip the lifter pair through the distributor hole. A little finagaling with a magnet and it was set. Lashed it, primed it to make sure it oiled up through the pushrods. installed the pump drive and distributor. Fired right up. Tommorow it'll get a timing check and trans fluid topped off. Then it's into the trailer for Wednesday test and tune at Milan dragway.
Doug
Great news Doug!

Made it out to Milan this afternoon. Pretty windy. Track prep was great. Had to tighten the front shocks up full tight to keep from 60 ft on the rear wheels.

2024 1st runs.png

Auto Transport Service
Back