• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does Pertronix install remove the orange box?

booah

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
Hi, Got my new billet distributor from Pertronix (part# D142700) and the instructions sound simple enough, hook up the red to 12v and the black to the negative side of the coil. Depending what coil, bypass ballast , OK.

My question is: when I unplug my stock wiring to my old distributor and hook up the Pertronix as above, what do I do with the orange box. Is it directly replaced by the Pertronix set up internally? Do I just leave it on the firewall for looks?

I don't want extra wires hanging around that don't need to be.

thanks in advance

I don't have the Pertronix but I do have a Firecore50 Ready To Run distributor. I bypassed the ballast resistor and removed the 'orange box' since everything is built in to the distributor.

Got an answer from Pertronix today, the orange box is removed.

Even though you could do it in a coupe of hours or less, I would wait until you've had your fun to switch.

Good luck.

I recommend getting the correct Pertronix coil usually one of the flame throwers. Then you can eliminated the ballast resister and run full battery voltage to the coil. It will give you a bit more spark and you can try gapping your plugs a bit more. Here's their site and you can contact them for the correct application with your distributor. http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/45000_volt.aspx

I like it when your passenger yelled, "Yee-haw!!"

Glad you got it going. What is your opinion of the Pertronix upgrade?

Thanks.

I got the vacuum advance but after a couple of test drives blocked the advance and worked the mechanical only. Still have to tweak the max advance.

So it worked well, but.......... in my opinion it didn't fit well.There was interference between the base of the distributor and the cal head cast. True the head had casting dags on it but I'm sure the distributor OD didn't have to be that big. That was a hassle that I shouldn't have had to deal with.

Auto Transport Service
Back