• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look weird to you?

kjalltrac

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Just finished mini tubbing and relocate the springs on my 64 belvedere.
Moved the axle back about 1/2 inch, but I kind of think it looks odd, or is my brain just messing with me.
Tires are 29x15r15

20240410_185825.jpg

20240410_185736.jpg

20240410_185642.jpg

There is a difference between B body front spring hangers. OE early B front hangers are shorter which moves the front spring eye closer to the front of the wheel opening.Though not the best photo, I had 69 front hangers to roll this car around. It shows how much the housing is set back. I thought I had a photo of it on the ground but not.

IMG_2733.jpg

From what I remember when I did my 64 some 20 plus years ago there was a difference between 64 dodge & Plymouth also. Plymouth has a different front hanger

I'm aware of the different front hangers.
The car used to have the 1" extension front hangers together with ss springs. I have moved the springs 1/2" to the rear from this position.
Thinks the axle sits a little to far back, or maby not, it's pretty much in the center of the wheel opening now.
Hard to get good look at the wheel location when the garage is small.

20240115_201441.jpg

I think it looks a bit strange as well. If the springs flatten out some when you throw some weight in it the axle will shift back a bit more as well. So you'll have to watch clearance to the fenderlip.

Would love to see some side shot pictures and measurements on cars with 28-32" tires for reference.

The red car looks right and when it squats a bit the wheel moves back a touch which centers it in the wheel well and the tire won't get into the wheel lip at the back.

My 64 was too far back as well, I moved it up an inch. About a finger and a half would be good clearance

I did have another photo showing how far back the axle sits. The day It went to the new owner

IMG_0009.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back