• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dominator on 572 street/strip engine

Please describe your entire fuel system.What type of fuel container,does it have a sump? What size fuel line from tank to pump?What size fuel line from pump to regulator?How & where is the regulator mounted? What size fuel lines from regulator to carb?

FWIW,I don't like the feed line to the rear fuel bowl.Regulator should be in front of the front bowl and flow back to the carb if possible. You never have a "too large" of a fuel pump!

Please describe your entire fuel system.What type of fuel container,does it have a sump? What size fuel line from tank to pump?What size fuel line from pump to regulator?How & where is the regulator mounted? What size fuel lines from regulator to carb?

FWIW,I don't like the feed line to the rear fuel bowl.Regulator should be in front of the front bowl and flow back to the carb if possible. You never have a "too large" of a fuel pump!

Hi,
the fuel system:
dynamic aeromotive fuel system:
original gas tank with sump
12 AN feed line to the pump > 100 micron 12ORB Filter (SKU 12309) > aeromotive black Eliminator pump (SKU 11104) > 10AN feed line > 10 micron 10 ORB Filter (SKU 12306) > A2000 bypass regulator (SKU 13202) > each fuel bowl feeded from a 8 AN feed line > 10 AN retrurn line to the sump.

Carb: 1200 cfm pro-systems pro series dominator http://www.prosystemsracing.com/proseriesdom.html

Maybe a silly question, how big is the fuel line from the pump to the regulator? My 500" motor acted the same way with a 3/8" fuel line & an old Carter electric pump.. Put in the 1/2" fuel line & Mallory 140 pump, problem solved. Your big motor sure might want more fuel delivery.

Maybe a silly question, how big is the fuel line from the pump to the regulator? My 500" motor acted the same way with a 3/8" fuel line & an old Carter electric pump.. Put in the 1/2" fuel line & Mallory 140 pump, problem solved. Your big motor sure might want more fuel delivery.
Hi,
the fuel system should be OK now, it is a 10 AN fuel line from the eliminator pump to the regulator.

Are you still have the same problems?

Well,
almost.
It runs now about 5500-5700 rpm in second and thrid gear.
When I come out of the waterbox and in first gear I always hit the rpm limiter. It is set at 6300 rpm.
Is it maybe possible that my pinion angle has something to do with it?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Michael

But its better with the new fuel system? Right? Change your rev limiter to like 7k and see.
It runs better with the new fuel system and!! the new carburator.
I also changed the timing curve. All in now at 2400rpm.
That was way better then the old original timing curve from out if the box.

I'm thinking maybe your rev limiter is coming on early.

unfortunatlly not, in the past the rpm limiter was set at 10.000 rpm.
I changed it before the last racing weekend.
I don't no what the problem is.
My valve springs are good for up to .600 lift.
I am running .640 lift. But in first gear I do not have problems to reach the rev limiter at 6300 rpm.

during winter I will take of the the intake and port it until it matches the intake runner ports of my heads.
Because my intake ports are smaller than the ports of my intake runners of my heads.
Intake: 1.73" x 1.89"
heads: 1.93" x 2.00"

and I need big port intake gaskets.
Until now I only have found the big port gaskets from "mr.gasket".

Are there any other brands that sell the big ones?
In the past I was using "best gasket", I am quite happy with their qualitiy, but they do not have the big port gaskets.

What does the engine do when it gets to this limited rpm? Does it stop pulling or miss? The valve springs might be an issue.

I use the mancini gaskets...not sure if they fit though.

What does the engine do when it gets to this limited rpm? Does it stop pulling or miss? The valve springs might be an issue.

I use the mancini gaskets...not sure if they fit though.
The mancini gaskets are too small as well.
When I hit the rpm limit the rpm is a kind of being catched at 6300 rpm. The engine want more, but it is limited by the MSD box. You can feel that the msd 6AL box stops the rpm. It works great. When I leave the water box the rpm rises real quick, much faster than I can get of the throttle and then the limiter comes in.
The same in first gear on the track.
In second and thrird gear I can not hit the 6000 rpm..

So it can't climb to 6000rpm. Does it stop pulling or pop or misfire?
it just stops pulling. no missfire.
A couple posts ago someone wrote that he had the same problems and in his case it was the a faulty igniton box.

Maybe I test a new coil and another msd box?

If upgrading the fuel system made it better then I would have to say that it's most likely fuel delivery issues? Could be springs but again why did it get better with the fuel upgrades?

Yes, good point. I think the springs would make it. They dont care of you are in first or third gear. When the can handel the lift at higher rpm in first gear, they can handle it in second and third gear as well.
I have changed the carb and the fuel system at the same time.
But like I have said at the beginning of this thread, every time I have changed the carb, it was able to go a little higher in the rpm range.
I will not go much higher than 6300 rpm at all, but the last 800 rpm maybe sleeps a lot of power.
Never been to a dyno now.
Here is my data sheet of my pro systems carb. I gave them all informations I have. And thats a lot :)

Auto Transport Service
Back