• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drip rail molding

Rayman72

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Shout out to FBBO members! How the hell do ya get the drip rail molding off a car without screwing it up? I am restoring a 72 Roadrunner and need to pull this off the car before getting it media blasted. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Carefully with a flat blade screwdriver. Use the shaft to lift not the tip of course. That's how I did mine anyways. Hard part is putting it back on...

I made, or actually modified an existing tool to do the job. Its nice because its plastic and if you are removing from an already painted car, then less risk of damage to the paint.

Here it is.
20140307_152527.jpg

Pretty easy to use, just use the modified edge in the picture, insert under and behind the molding and slowly pull it down. It basically hooks the edge of the molding that is crimped and bends it away from the body. You don't need to get too crazy with it and I started slowly to determine how much I needed to bend it before it became loose on the car then just slipped off.

Damn. Those are good ideas. What do you recommend for putting it back on?

Once you slip it back on the body, I used a 1/4 inch thick piece of hardwood about an inch wide and a rubber mallet, and lined it up on the crimped edge and lightly tapped it back into position.

Thanks for all the feedback. Gonna start on it today and see what happens!

Go to harbor freight if you have one close or get online they sell a soft pry bar kit for 5.00 do not use a screw driver or anything metal to pry them off ! that kit has a really nice crow bar looking bar that works great use the curved end to get under the trim and very slowly work your way along the trim ! The other tools like screw drivers exct will work but you will make more work for yourself straitin out all the trim lips that you will bend !! TRUST ME SPEAKING FROM EXPERIANCE !!

I use a wide blade scraper preferably a plastic one but can also use a metal one if your very careful and with the windows down push from inside the car outward slightly on the bottom edge of the trim all the way along that edge until it comes off. You may have to use a thin piece of plastic like a putty spreader to hold it out just a bit following along once you get it started. This way you won't cause any dings on edge or the outer surface from prying it up with tools from the outside.

Auto Transport Service
Back