• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock Carb Draining After Shutdown

Udderchaos

Local time
6:35 AM
Reaction score
I have the above mentioned problem with the carb on the 451. After an hour, the carb bowl is empty, and requires a few splashes of gas to get it primed again. Unfortunately it's now draining back through the intake and into the cylinders, and into the oil pan. What can be done to prevent this from happening, other than another carb(That I don't really have the $ for right now).??

Thank you in advance for any information, Bill

the carbs not "draining". you probably have a fuel percolation issue causing a spill over thru the venturi's. next time you shut the engine off hot wait a few minutes, remove the air breather and look for fuel boiling on the throttle blades. sometimes fuel will boil/cook in the lines and create a pressure spike causing a spill over in the bowls after the engine is shut off. a heat spacer and regulating the heat in the intake manifold can work wonders.

What I don't understand is why it didn't boil this summer. Why now that the temps are cooler.?

There's a 24"+ hole in the hood for the air cleaner, how else can I regulate the intake temp.?

Thanks again for any info...

X2 lew. Also might check float levels. 7/16 for eddy carbs

not so sure it would be percolating enough fuel to make it down to the oil pan.sounds like it is cracked.take the carb off and empty it.fill it with dyed water(any food color works).set it on a paper towel and check it every couple minutes to see where the dye leaks out at.then look for any cracks in that area.if it was percolating the fuel most of it would evaporate and the fact that it didnt do it in the summer kinda points away from that.

I used a phenolic carb spacer it helped keep gas from percolating. I used 1 inch spacer that is if you have the room for it.

I used a phenolic carb spacer it helped keep gas from percolating. I used 1 inch spacer that is if you have the room for it.
I have a couple of inches before the air cleaner tags the under side of the hood scoop.

What would cause a crack in the carb.? It hasn't backfired... Wouldn't that be a major vacuum leak.?

I'm wondering if the car had a percolating problem before we bought it. It had an eighties style cool can/ice can mounted on the firewall..

I can't really afford a different carb. But what would be a nice carb for a 451, solid lifter, long tube header, max 6k rpm engine with a 727 TF.?

Thanks for all the input..

Auto Transport Service
Back