• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation 1789

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I may have posted this in years past. Apologies if so....

George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation 1789

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor - and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be...

That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks -for His kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of His Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions - to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord...

To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

(Wordy SOB, wasn't he? :) )

Only a matter of time before they say Thanksgiving is racist and try to abolish it! Welcome to the new USA!

Only a matter of time before they say Thanksgiving is racist and try to abolish it! Welcome to the new USA!

I think it is religion that's the problem here, not race. George says nothing about race.

I'm not really religious, but
I was raised a good Christian, did all the Sunday schools & church etc.
:praying:
longs story, why my doubts that I have today,
I'm still not an atheist or an extremist heathen
forcing my views on everyone & the country

BUT;
yep the extremists today already removed the word
GOD from all kinds of stuff
courthouses steps, statues, signage, TV, news etc. etc. etc.
& including the DNC & their numerous convention/campaign speeches
& US pledge of allegiance, multiple times, they purposely removed
the word GOD from them

that was nice to read Ed :thumbsup:

tradition or perception of it in some areas has gone byby

Hey I AM an athiest but I have no problem at all about historic religious pronouncements like this one. And FWIW it seems to me that the religious fanatics, regardless of which religion, are the ones forcing their views on everyone else.

religious fanatics, regardless of which religion, are the ones forcing their views on everyone else.

fanatics - regardless of what they're fanatical about - are a pain in the ***. But religious and political fanatics are THE worst. And vegans, they're a nuisance too.

I'm not a religious "fanatic"; I AM however a Jesus fanatic (fanatic meaning "a big fan of"). How can I not be when He paid my sin debt. However, instead of "forcing" my beliefs on someone, I just politely express them, and go about my business. The rest is up to that individual to believe or not. You can't beat a man up about it... that's just rude.

I thought George Washington was canceled with the rest of our forefathers?

Our Forefathers were not only uncommonly brave and wise, but yes - they were quite the Christians as well.
Some try to deny the countries' founding principles, but anyone who spends more than a little energy and time
looking into the basic precepts of same can readily see how the whole she-bang was put together:

The Founders didn't so much invent anything new as they simply acknowledged acceptance of what in more modern
times has been referred to as "Judeo-Christian ethics". They built a country based on those precepts - and
fought like hell to be able to be left alone to do so.
Such things about our countries' founding used to be routinely taught in our schools...and should be again now.

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless you and yours, everyone. Don't forget where we came from. :)

Our Forefathers were not only uncommonly brave and wise, but yes - they were quite the Christians as well.
Some try to deny the countries' founding principles, but anyone who spends more than a little energy and time
looking into the basic precepts of same can readily see how the whole she-bang was put together:

The Founders didn't so much invent anything new as they simply acknowledged acceptance of what in more modern
times has been referred to as "Judeo-Christian ethics". They built a country based on those precepts - and
fought like hell to be able to be left alone to do so.
Such things about our countries' founding used to be routinely taught in our schools...and should be again now.

Happy Thanksgiving and God bless you and yours, everyone. Don't forget where we came from. :)
dont know if its been the same in the US,but i can remember in grade school the lords prayer being recited n the jehovah witness kids would leave the class room n stand in the hall,our prayer system was abolished decades ago,i guess the hallways werent big enough.

dont know if its been the same in the US,but i can remember in grade school the lords prayer being recited n the jehovah witness kids would leave the class room n stand in the hall,our prayer system was abolished decades ago,i guess the hallways werent big enough.
Yes, we said the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, hand over heart, followed by the Lord's Prayer - and we said Grace before lunch every day, too.
Those were all done away with in public schools heck, 40 years ago maybe?
Wouldn't want to offend any of the little heathens, you know...

They stood in the hallway back then,i guess our new wave of modern immigrants decide that this was not good enough for them,

Auto Transport Service
Back