• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I won a trophy!

I don't mean to disparage the car show experience. I hope that they continue to exist and do well.
It should be a happy experience for those that attend. Other threads you'll see people post good and bad things about them. Some complain about the long lines coming in, the loud or repetitive doo-wop music, the crying dolls some people put leaning against the bumper and other stuff.
I prefer the shows that are on grass and shaded by trees. The shows in unshaded asphalt parking lots are the worst but the hosting club is at the mercy of what venues they can find. Our own club has dealt with negotiation troubles with our venue from time to time. The cost of the daily rental is a huge factor in whether the show makes any money or not.

Just a personal opinion, but the main reason I attend local shows with a small group of older retired couples is to enjoy a relaxing day with them surrounded by a variety of beautiful cars of all makes. There's no telling how long my friends will be on this earth, so each day is a bonus. Carlisle, on the other hand is a different story. If you participate, you receive a ballot to vote for particular classes and are asked to pick one car from each class on the list. One. So for people to come hundreds, if not a thousand or more miles that you never met before and walk around in the heat casting their one vote for your car, yes it's flattering, but again, not the main reason for being there. A lot of times I'm hardly with the car since I'm too busy checking out other cars or getting some needed parts. Then there's this....I took my 80 year old friend to see first hand how nice Carlisle is, and after coming back from hours of walking around, Miss Mopar is there with him telling me she decided to give the celeb choice to us. It wasn't necessarily the car itself that intrigued her but the story behind it. He explained how he bought it for his wife when it was 2 years old in '70, hauled the kids around in it, and she loved humiliating guys at stoplights. He could barely contain his emotions since she passed a few years ago. A lot of times it's not the award itself that has meaning, but the story attached to it that's priceless.

I only go to shows that benefit the local PD or FD or the military. Always leave before judging begins. A few hours checking out the cars and im headed home.

Then there's this....I took my 80 year old friend to see first hand how nice Carlisle is, and after coming back from hours of walking around, Miss Mopar is there with him telling me she decided to give the celeb choice to us. It wasn't necessarily the car itself that intrigued her but the story behind it. He explained how he bought it for his wife when it was 2 years old in '70, hauled the kids around in it, and she loved humiliating guys at stoplights. He could barely contain his emotions since she passed a few years ago. A lot of times it's not the award itself that has meaning, but the story attached to it that's priceless.
I had the Demonstrator at the largest local show of the season last week, 500 cars. Mopar class covers 1949 to 2024, so I never let the thought of winning a trophy enter my mind (although the A33 car took a second in 2018.) I attend for the chance to catch up with people I don't see the rest of the year. I get preferred parking in the heart of the downtown, in shade next to the courthouse, because the GTX has been verified to be one of the cars that actually cruised the block back in the day. The group now numbers about a dozen, I'm the only Mopar, but the Ford and GM guys are cool, all about my age.

High point was meeting up with Rob Clark, and listening to him tell spectators how his dad drove the car when it was new, and how I fell into its history. He approved of all the upgrades I'd made to bring it back to its as driven appearance when new. Later that evening he asked if I'd won Best of Show. He had a fit when I said no, and expressed his low opinion of the judging. I responded that his opinion was the one that carried more weight.

I don't mean to disparage the car show experience. I hope that they continue to exist and do well.
It should be a happy experience for those that attend. Other threads you'll see people post good and bad things about them. Some complain about the long lines coming in, the loud or repetitive doo-wop music, the crying dolls some people put leaning against the bumper and other stuff.
I prefer the shows that are on grass and shaded by trees. The shows in unshaded asphalt parking lots are the worst but the hosting club is at the mercy of what venues they can find. Our own club has dealt with negotiation troubles with our venue from time to time. The cost of the daily rental is a huge factor in whether the show makes any money or not.
The local Dodge dealer ( Dodge City) yearly clears their lot for our Saskatchewan Mopar Club show. This year they are clearing both the body shop/display lot and sales lot. It is our 25th anniversary. They even supply porta-potties.

Auto Transport Service
Back