• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I won a trophy!

I won a couple "People's Choice" awards. That was nice but I've been equally honored with a person just seeing me in the car on the road and smiling and giving me a thumbs up.
I'm also honored to see people scramble to get their phones out to take a picture or video.
One time I was at work and a guy told me that a co-worker was out of town and snapped a picture of a car he saw over the weekend. It was MY car.
The dude didn't know it was mine, I had to scroll through my own phone to show him pictures of it at my house!
That was funny.

So, people that like trophies would rather receive a trophy for some class competition?, or receive a People's Choice trophy from the public attendees who were permitted to cast a vote?
Baby Blue was no show car when I owned her. But her story was hard to match. Been posted here many times before, but the short summary is a fairly ordinary GTX that was incredibly maintained by every owner over five decades, but never restored. I owned her from 1983-91, and again from 2013 to 2021. Won Best of Show at a people's choice in 2018. Three higher level cars I owned since then never got that kind of attention. Shown below in 2013, with my friend Bob Miller who sold her to me the first time, in 1983.

Bob gtx.jpg

The movie Rocky Balboa ended about an hour ago.
At the end of his boxing match, he walked out of the ring and didn't even stay to see who won the decision. For him, winning the match wasn't the point.

I dont go into shows to win. I go to look at cars and meet some people along the way

The shows I have won and REALLY like the trophies were made by kids in vocational class

Like so

bestMopar.jpg

well I'd certainly like to have a Martinsville grandfather clock or a Nashville Gibson custom! It put things into perspective when the owner of the boat I crew chiefed and raced would bring out some cocktails on a silver platter and reminding us it only cost him .5 mil. to get that platter!

Never ever received a trophy except for drag racing and imo, that's all that mattered but what really mattered was going 7 rounds for the win with the slowest car in the field!! The faster cars hated me but then there were the ones that cheered for that slow *** but consistent car lol
That happens more than you think… When the other driver has to sit there waiting it becomes a head game..

Many times, whether at a gas station or someplace else, someone will come over and say how much they like the car and what a great job I did restoring it. My greatest compliment one night was when some woman, who was filling her car behind me, came over to me and said, " My daughter says that's the prettiest car she ever seen. She seemed to be 7-8 years old. I yelled thank you to her and waved.
I haven't taken it to a car show yet, and probably never will because I honestly don't care what other people think about what I did or didn't do to my car. Don't need any trophies. Just my take.

Last edited:
I go to have fun, if I drive something I don’t want it judged . Chances are I drove along way to get there and it may not be spotless. Trophies are for the kiddos in my book.

I understand why people do get their cars judged but I could never sit with a car... We would go as a group, park and look at all the cars, then look at the ones that had rubber all over the quarters and see if they were interested in running them later that night. That's what I was always into but I do appreciate the guys who take the time and money to preserve history and do OEM restorations or leave them as original. My wife and I along with our youngest went down to Dover Downs a few weeks ago for the Good Guys car show it's crazy that some of them drove from the Midwest and further to attend but you can tell money is no object for some of them...

Last edited:
My cars have all received plaques or trophies over the years my wife and I have attended. I think it is ok that people recognize the hard work it takes to build a show worthy ride. My enjoyment comes from meeting, chatting and checking out the other cars. Now-a-days I have a "Display Only" placard I put on the dash.

I've only taken my current 72 to a couple of cruise ins here in AZ and the pavilions once. Just to say I have. My car is a salvage title no fender tag car. I used that freedom to build what I wanted and can afford. I'm not a master mechanic so I got help when I needed it and always give credit to those that deserve it. But if I hear one more, those aren't the right seat covers, or that's an e body steering wheel, or ugh appliance white it'll be too soon. How about just a "nice car" or "you must really love her to have back top and interior in AZ without AC". Oh, and don't open my doors, the window is down, that's enough.

...playing BASEBALL when I was 12. That was over 45 years ago. From there, the only chance to score a trophy for me was at a car show.
I've noticed something lately and it disappoints me a bit. Follow along and see if you agree.
Many of us go to car shows as spectators. We ogle the cars, look at the stuff in the swap meet and have a good time doing it. Some of us look at the cars in the show to see how that guy routed his exhaust or wiring, sometimes we inspect the fit and finish with hopes to get our own cars to look as good when we are done.
Next are the guys that have "finished" cars that are in the show. We wash and wax them, clean the interior and park them in the show field and sometimes, park a lawn chair behind them and enjoy the day.
Awhile back, FBBO member Dennis H was at our show in Sacramento and in bold print on the face of his registration card, he wrote DO NOT JUDGE.
I remember then being surprised at that. He drove 2 1/2 hours to this show, spent the money on gas and the hotel and he didn't want a chance at a trophy?
Why?
I asked him and he played it off as if there were better cars at the show but I don't think that was true. What I learned that day had stuck with me since.
What Dennis was doing was something that strikes at the core of car guys and going to car shows.
It isn't the trophy that matters. It isn't the patting on the back, the picture with the trophy girl or any of that. What makes the experience worthwhile is the whole day....the environment, the people, the cars. It is the guys and gals getting together to celebrate these great cars regardless of what some judge thinks of the car itself. It is the telling of stories of when the cars were new or the trouble you got into with them. The girls you met, the experiences you lived with them.
A plastic trophy cannot compete with that.
Agree, @Kern Dog

The very first (local) car
show I entered was more of
a curiosity. I had no idea
what to expect, and was
completely surprised at a
third place muscle car class
trophy.
I entered because I love old
cars and the memories they
hold. And hearing others'
memories reinforces that.
The old Plymouth is really
nothing to look at.
She doesn't sport a shiny
paint job, or lots of bling in
the jewelery box. But years
of effort, and some oddball
ideas of design makes her
mine.
Gotta shake my head
though, when some calls
her a rat rod.
It's my opinion after that
first show, that catagories
should be added and
broken down as to engine,
chassis, body and paint,
and interior.
I may not appreciate the
overall aspects of a
lowrider, but some of
their paint jobs are over the
top with hundreds of
hours invested.
There were over a hundred
cars there that day, and
many more than mine
deserved a trophy.
PS...the only other trophy
I won, I was 12, and it was
for third place on a little
league team).

Last edited:
The trophy would only have some meaning if you built the car yourself, or if it was a street machine modified type show, and it was your vision that created the car.

If you just bought a fancy show car and parked it there, then who cares?
Couldn't agree more!
20240427_134814.jpg20230830_152808.jpg

I get alot of attention just driving my cars. Everytime time I'm out I get à thumbs up, or some one yelling nice car. I know how nice it is when others appreciate an older car on the road. So I always try and do the same when i see other older cars on the road.

It’s great they have trophies for those who have those special cars and who are looking for trophies. To each his own. But, I have never taken the charger to a show! I go to see the cars and environment of the show with all that Kern mentioned. I personally couldn’t care less about the trophies.

I also recall shortly after getting the car I was at a show looking around and there was this antique car club advertising for new members. Wifey said you should join, so I took their info. Later on I emailed the club inquiring. They were advertising for new members on their website too! A couple days went by and a guy got back to me telling me that there weren’t any openings in the club and basically a member had to die to create one. We went back and forth and I asked then why at the show and online they were advertising for new members. He got all pissed off that I questioned it and called me all sorts of things that Karen would only say through email and not to my face!

That experience turned me off from shows and trophies and certainly clubs! I learned I personally didn’t want to be part of that. I just want to enjoy the car and all the other cars and good people out there looking to do the same.

Two Northern CA Mopar clubs are having trouble keeping members. This hobby appeals primarily to those born before 1980 and those people are thinning out. I'm always happy to see someone under 40 interested in these cars and working on them. Just yesterday I had a swap meet space in Cupertino selling some stuff and a guy maybe 20-23 was looking for stuff for his 74 Dart Sport. I gladly cut my asking prices to help the guy out. I'm not looking to get rich on these parts. Why not make it easier on the guys that can least afford them?

I dont go into shows to win. I go to look at cars and meet some people along the way

The shows I have won and REALLY like the trophies were made by kids in vocational class

Like so

View attachment 1683877
That looks along the same theme as one I made for a small gathering we had a few years ago - presented to our own Santa Tom for his Little Red Express. It was a broken spark plug as a hard luck trophy.

I presented my buddy Cliff with a trophy for playing host at host shop.... Best Hosedt (a hose fitting) :lol:

20160508_115453.jpg
20160508_151555.jpg

1719219243947.png

I won a second place plaque at an area Mopar show with the magnum yesterday. Trophies take up too much room in the garage and gather dust, with plaques at least I can always find another spot on the wall to hang it, for garage art.
While hanging it on my wall after getting home, I noticed the trophies on the adjacent shelf were mainly from around year 2000.
I’ve been participating in shows for decades and awards for the most part lost their luster with me long ago.
But every now and then I get one that I’m excited about.
Last year I went to Moparty, and took my car to a kickoff cruise Thursday evening at an area CDJR dealer, they had awards there and I was in a long wait at a food truck when they announced awards, so didn’t bother going over to hear, nor was very interested. Later I checked my phone and saw a text from the dealer saying I won a trophy. Totally unexpected, and picked by the dealer not participant judging which is usually more of a popularity contest anyway.
Last trophy I’d got before that with any meaning to me was a Mr Norms memorial pick award at MCACN in ‘21, and an OE Gold there in 2018, for my T/A. Those have prestige, area show awards generally aren’t anything special.

I go to some shows...but local cruise-in stuff mainly. I'll knock the dust off the charger, get some of the bugs off the windshield, and park where they tell me.

IMG_20240615_104226971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240615_114939299_HDR.jpg

Then, I walk and look at stuff. Stuff that *I* like. And that's rarely the "nice" stuff. Last show, I spent nearly an hour talking random stuff with the guy who had a ratty F100... with a Godzilla transplant and a 6 speed. And a sign that said "NOT AN LS" on the engine. Then I drooled on an original 289 Cobra, because I remember spending a few hours with Carroll Shelby in 2001 at a Shelby day at VIR - the man himself walked right past all the cobras and mustangs to hang out with us "shelby-dodge boys" who were chasing him around the track on the parade lap free-for-all (unlike the cobra and mustang guys who were too worried about paint chips to do anything fun with their cars). I checked out some ratty old VWs because - like all of us - I had an old beetle in college. Look at the oddball stuff like the 87 Cutlass a guy had, cause Dad was a huge Cutlass guy. Grabbed a sausage from the local vendor guy, headed back to the charger, set up a chair, ate, and talked with folks who came by. "is this yours?" Kinda stuff.

I like seeing old cars. And appreciate what it takes to keep them going. And I like when people show the same appreciation for my old junk - it's fun talking about my cars, and other people's cars, and all the memories surrounding the cars. I like the swap meets. I like the food. I like the exercise and the fresh air. But gone are the days when I'd spend the week prior, full-detailing my car inside and out. It ain't SEMA...just a bunch of neighborhood folks who like their old cars. And that's good enough for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back