• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I won a trophy!

And yes there are those who must receive a trophy.. Back around 98 I took a first place trophy at a semi prestigious car show, it was pretty apparent the second place guy wasn't happy.... There was another show the following week, this guy wound up having his Hemi Challenger parked right next to my car... But he wasn't around his car much.... He had a guy showing the car for him while he was staying with one of his other three cars in the show.... When the judging began he showed up and with everyone watching he grabbed the head judge and read him the riot act... Letting him know he'd been robbed the week before & it had better not happen again... If it did he wouldn't be showing his four cars at this event any longer....
Turns out he had two Ferrari's a Duesenberg & the Hemi Challenger.. One of his Ferrari's took Best of Show...
Have I ever mentioned some people are nuts...
These douchebags are the worst. A few years ago, I'm sitting next to my RR at a cars & coffee meet. Next to me was Mr. Golf-cap Whiteshorts, showing his Ford GT. Standing and boastfully extending it's virtues to all who passed by. Across the aisle, a little kid screamed to his little brother " Look at that, Joey !!" as they both started to scurry over. Mr. Whiteshorts had his chest proudly out as he readied to greet the two little boys running over. As they passed right by him, the one boy ran right up to my dust trail and shouted " Look, it's the Road Runner !! " Mr. Whiteshorts snarled as I let the little kid hit the beep-beep horn !! Priceless.

My earlier post might have been a bit too sour grapes. I'm 56. I've had hotrods and beaters most of my life. Been going to shows for years all over the country. I find that I enjoy cruise ins and mom/pop/community type shows the most as I get older. Shows around here have changed since I moved to Az in '92 (as society and I changed). Maybe its the Barret Jackson effect here in Az that makes every a-hole think he should share his critique. The auction mentality also seems to make folks feel they have the right to touch. I will agree with most on here that I'm happy to get a thumbs up when driving. And me in the charger and my wife in her Nash can make for a crazy experience at gas stations.

IMG_20220930_162541_01.jpg

I only received one trophy for any of my cars that I had and would go to them. It was because I was the only one in class and no other contenders. After getting somewhat away from the hobby, I never went back to any shows and to this day still do not. Waste of time, gas, and effort to do so just hanging out or cruising the swap meet. In today's collector car world, there are just way too many trophy hunters, and wanna-be authorities that are only out there to ridicule or bash one's work as they are more knowledgeable than the owner is and their arrogance is never-ending. Besides, too many of the current shows and meets are just too damn far to waste driving to and from. But I get that others can do whatever they want in their preferences...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I feel the need to say a bit more about the SoCal car culture - something that really affected me and really turned me off. Spring Fling was quite a nice show all in all. But it was also all Mopar - thus the attraction. The few others I went to were pot luck. Not one ford or GM **** would give me the time of day. If you tried to chat w/them they’d ignore you and would hold their nose if ever chancing by me and my X. One seemingly neutral guy liked my car and was chatting me up and I told him how I came about the color choice some 20+ yrs earlier and painted it that recently. (A one yr 2003 Lexus color) So he starts telling his buddy somewhat excitedly. His buddy had a one of those old Shelby roadsters. Not sure it wasn’t a kit car… So his buddy snears and very clearly right next to me says “yeah whatever - nothing more than an old Toyota”. I’m not a shy guy, but caught off guard and a bit shocked… I didn’t say anything and just kind of turned away. I’ve wanted that moment back ever since… But that was the kind of mentality and my experience w/shows out here, and the last straw. Sure like most of you I did love the thumbs up, the gas station chats, and acknowledgements when cruising around - who doesn’t. But that snob *** **** at non Mopar shows - couldn’t do it….. You say - hang around w/the Mopar guys - well believe it or not Mopars seem to be quite rare around here - or at least they don’t venture out much to shows, probably for the reasons I mentioned. I searched for a Mopar club etc but could not seem to hook up any where near me.

Last edited:
Great thread @Kern Dog :thumbsup:

The only time I thought I'd have a chance at getting a trophy was after I bought my '62 I'd go to Chryslers at Carlisle and not see any '62 Dodges. I'd go up every year and still wouldn't see any. I thought to myself if I had the '62 done and brought it up here, being the only one, I'd be sure to take home a trophy!

Well several years later the car was on the road, entered it in the show field and guess what. There were a half a dozen '62 Dodges there. :rolleyes: Oh they were real nice ones too.

After going to a few shows I realized how important it is to attend. You're showing something that people don't see everyday. Yes the questions can be endless sometimes but you are passing on fun facts that many may not know. The younger generations get to see and learn what it might have been like to own these vehicles back then and the people who lived it, it will bring back memories.

If someone is looking for an example of what they are working on at home, having a car there to look at can help with their build. Others at the show that have the same car can compare notes to what is correct if their car was reassembled at one time.

The first year I took the '62 to Chryslers at Carlisle I'm parked next to at least four examples. What fun it was to note suttle little differences there were between them. Things that you wouldn't know that took place when these cars were built unless you had another one to look at. Also the owners are fun to chat with knowing we all went through the same thing bringing these relics back to life.

So this for me is more rewarding than any trophy could ever accomplish.

I don’t relate at all to the ones that say I never go to shows, they are a waste of money, etc.
Car shows are a great way to talk to other car people face to face.

Last edited:
I don't begrudge those that do
more power to ya'
'if' that's what get your rocks off or blows up your dress
then by all mean participate

I'm really not a car show type person, been there done that
not my deal anymore...
I still understand the draw, just not for me...
I like to go every once in a while to spectate walk around
maybe meet up with a few members would be cool...
But;
sitting in the heat or under an awning,
with coolers & on lounge chairs behind my car,
swilling beers all day, smelling smoke, or the charcoal BBQs all day
listening to people that either don't even have a car
or they know someone that did :blah:
or they're critiquing my build, don't know **** about Shinola
or have their own
or the VIN - Fender tag snobs comments
isn't my form of 'car fun'...
Some like it far more than I do...

I do like seeing & enjoying all the photos posted here :poke:

I personally like an event where you use the car,
race or autocross or a nice organized cruise etc.
Not just drive 250 miles to go to a car show...

I did do a few big shows 'way back when', prior to moving east in the sticks
the old Oakland roadster show was fun, I knew a to=ne of people there
even won a trophy 'best newcomer' I think it was called
I had participated for about a decade, I wasn't a newcomer :poke:
& had tee-shirts made from Big Daddy Ed' Roth
of my 49 Ford 8.50 P/G car, when it ran 7's with a blown injected Milodon Hemi...
Just not worth it to me now,
I sometimes would go to look or to shop at the swap meets/car parts venders
it was more for the sponsors then me, especially when my car was newer/fresher
worthy of showing, not just some driver...

Or the hundreds of new cars with hoods up, craze now...

The Diablo Valley MoPars, Concord Park show (when I lived in Concord still)
& Sacramento Park show were OK (when I was still in Rancho Murieta)
the Fremont/the College show was OK too, it's moved around now
(when I still lived in San Jose I liked it much better,) it's not much now...

I used to like the shows in the 80's they were really good,
I was more tolerable too, lots a cool cars...
Cal Expo Car Craft was a good one
lots of cool cars, many or most were all driven in & later raced
at Sacramento Raceway too, those were the days...
Good type of show...
Pleasanton Good Guys & the Drags at Fremont
or Sears Point raceway/s (Good Guys Sponsored)
after were even better, get a show & a race in one deal
Now, Just another car show 'now otherwise'...

Now, If I have to drive over 150-ish miles for just a car show
just not my deal, I'd much rather do an event, than a show...

Most my old car buddies are the same way now too...
Very few are still into the "shows", unless it's a local deal
now events & cruises are a bit different...
But I'm not driving across the county for them either...

Last edited:
Great thread @Kern Dog :thumbsup:

The only time I thought I'd have a chance at getting a trophy was after I bought my '62 I'd go to Chryslers at Carlisle and not see any '62 Dodges. I'd go up every year and still wouldn't see any. I thought to myself if I had the '62 done and brought it up here, being the only one, I'd be sure to take home a trophy!

Well several years later the car was on the road, entered it in the show field and guess what. There were a half a dozen '62 Dodges there. :rolleyes: Oh they were real nice ones too.

After going to a few shows I realized how important it is to attend. You're showing something that people don't see everyday. Yes the questions can be endless sometimes but you are passing on fun facts that many may not know. The younger generations get to see and learn what it might have been like to own these vehicles back then and the people who lived it, it will bring back memories.

If someone is looking for an example of what they are working on at home, having a car there to look at can help with their build. Others at the show that have the same car can compare notes to what is correct if their car was reassembled at one time.

The first year I took the '62 to Chryslers at Carlisle I'm parked next to at least four examples. What fun it was to note suttle little differences there were between them. Things that you wouldn't know that took place when these cars were built unless you had another one to look at. Also the owners are fun to chat with knowing we all went through the same thing bringing these relics back to life.

So this for me is more rewarding than any trophy could ever accomplish.

THIS ^^^^
Agreed 100%

I go to see cars, talk cars, meet people who own or used to own similar / cool cars

If I take a trophy home, so be it. But its NOT what Im there for.
But half the time Im gone before the show is over anyway

To be honest, I much prefer Cars and Coffee events or local cruise ins, especially if its for a charity fundraiser over any trophy show

That said, having been a judge for the Mopar Nats for about 10 year. Im always going thru the entrants and pick my top 5 based on quality . NOT engine choice or color combo.
And if I feel my car may be close I might stick around to the end to see if my picks are right. And its EXTREMLY rare the best car wins first place , IMO only

Participant voting or peoples choice is a friends vote for friends show

Last edited:
From time to time I'll see a car at a car cruise night or a car show where the owner displays a bunch of trophies he's won in his car's back seat. It makes me laugh as it reminds me of a classic South Park episode featuring Phil Collins being cast in a very negative light, and whenever the Phil Collins character is seen in the episode, he has his Grammy trophy with him since he is so vain.

Phil Collins.JPG

From time to time I'll see a car at a car cruise night or a car show where the owner displays a bunch of trophies he's won in his car's back seat. It makes me laugh as it reminds me of a classic South Park episode featuring Phil Collins being cast in a very negative light, and whenever the Phil Collins character is seen in the episode, he has his Grammy trophy with him since he is so vain.

View attachment 1684392

THAT is some funny ****...The guys that put out multiple trophies next to their cars as if peer pressure will coerce a show judge to award the guy yet ANOTHER trophy....

Daddy Warbucks? :rofl:
There was a great FX or Altered WB car (ferd ; 427 sohc & later side oiler blown)
named Daddy Warbucks it was a Thunderbolt IIRC originally

this is a remake of it
64 Falcon 427ci Side Oiler B-G Daddy Warbucks.jpg

Phil Bonner's org. AFX/AWB

64 Falcon 427ci SOHC AFX AWB Daddy Warbucks Phil Bonner #1.jpg

carry on just thought of it...

My favourite reply to the guys like you described is, "mmmm okay, so which car out here is yours?"
That usually shuts 'em right up!
Oh, and by the by Rog....if you EVER make it over here to the West Coast you BETTER let us know so we can take you on a proper 'grand tour'!!
(Just let me know in advance so I can warn my friends in the various law enforcement departments! :D )
:lol:

THAT is some funny ****...The guys that put out multiple trophies next to their cars as if peer pressure will coerce a show judge to award the guy yet ANOTHER trophy....
We had a local show in State College, where this happened on steroids. Cars were invited based on previous show performance. My A33 GTX made the cut. Entrants were encouraged to display past trophies.

Thankfully, it became no more in 2019. Epitomized the snobbery I don’t like about my home town. But I have to admit, I did get satisfaction out of making the cut, after driving a nerd car in high school.

Two Northern CA Mopar clubs are having trouble keeping members. This hobby appeals primarily to those born before 1980 and those people are thinning out. I'm always happy to see someone under 40 interested in these cars and working on them. Just yesterday I had a swap meet space in Cupertino selling some stuff and a guy maybe 20-23 was looking for stuff for his 74 Dart Sport. I gladly cut my asking prices to help the guy out. I'm not looking to get rich on these parts. Why not make it easier on the guys that can least afford them?
:thumbsup: Exactly, I wish more felt like that & would do the same...

I had older guys help me out/mentor me as a kid, 15 y/o wet behind the ears
It's called paying it forward...

or it (these cars & the hobby in general) will "eventually" die off
or become a rich mans/checks writters game only

I'm no saint, I can be a jerk a LOT of times but I do try to help out when I can.
Everything is so dang expensive nowadays. If a young guy can be helped out to keep the hobby within his reach, I'm all for it.
I never aimed to squeeze the most money out of stuff. I'm sure that some stuff I sell ends up being flipped later but as long as I made a little from it, I don't care. I do get some satisfaction knowing that I helped out some new enthusiast get his car going for a fair price. Most of what I have is driver quality stuff I pulled from junkyards or parts cars, not wrecked cars that were recently restored. I'd be stupid to expect big money from stuff that isn't perfect anyway.

Not exactly sure what you mean but if it's what I'm thinking there was this one show I went to and the cars that were awarded trophies all belonged to the same club. Even one car showed up at the last minute and they received a trophy for that class. :realcrazy:

Not exactly sure what you mean but if it's what I'm thinking there was this one show I went to and the cars that were awarded trophies all belonged to the same club. Even one car showed up at the last minute and they received a trophy for that class. :realcrazy:
This is EXACTLY what I meant

These shows have nothing to do with which car is the best . Its about club members / friends voting for reach others cars.

There is a club locally and 90% of the cars that win at their sponsored shows are club members and they make no issue with hiding it

I took my car to local show 5 minutes from my house last year. And once show was over and awards were handed out. A club member came up to me and said my car should have been 1st overall.
I asked him as cold as I could make it sound. " Then why didnt it ? " , he just gave me a blank look as I drove away!

Not exactly sure what you mean but if it's what I'm thinking there was this one show I went to and the cars that were awarded trophies all belonged to the same club.

These shows have nothing to do with which car is the best . Its about club members / friends voting for reach others cars.

There is a club locally and 90% of the cars that win at their sponsored shows are club members and they make no issue with hiding it

Now what I’m about to state here may seem hypocritical but it isn’t intended to.
The shows that gave “participant judging” often use some BS excuse for doing it like A lack of qualified volunteers to do the judging.
Me? I volunteered to judge every show that our club hosted. Our club members parked away from the show cars and were NOT judged. Every participant got a fair shake at our show. About 5-6 years ago, they made a switch to have another car club judge our cars and our club judged theirs. We can now have our own cars in our own show.
Stepping back….
I have stated that winning a trophy isn’t the point for me however…,
If I were at a show and there were dirty tricks played on the paying participants, I’d be pissed off not necessarily because I didn’t win but because the deck was stacked against everyone that wasn’t in the club. That **** isn’t right, man. Some people may need the validation of their hard work and it would be cheating them out of a chance at it when others conspire to rig the game. If you lose to a better car, that may suck but it can also inspire you to improve. If you lose to an inferior competitor, you lose faith in the system.
Man, THAT seems too familiar.

I won a little league trophy when I was 10.
I was the starting pitcher and threw 3 scoreless innings.
I remember arguing with my coach that I should pitch the entire game. But I was just a kid and didn't really understand good sportsmanship.
We did get to go for pizza and soda afterwards.
Used to ride my bike to practice and games. It was probably 3-4 miles away.
I wonder how many kids do that today?

Not interested in any car show trophies.
But I do want it to look good for people who are interested in it.
Always do your best.

I Have expressed this before.We go to shows for the trip and to meet new people. Our club has voting for participants only in one category. There is a top 10 category, no idea where a person is in it. The car that is most most liked get’s a special award. Last year it was a 1956 Desoto that the couple bought on the US Eastern seaboard and drove it here.

Auto Transport Service
Back