• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting a key made in CA for a project

70chall440

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Here is the deal, I am picking up a 85 Toyota MR2 next month from southern CA. Here are the details
  • The guy who has the car has misplaced the keys
  • the car has a WA title and registration in his name
  • car has been sitting for 10 years so it does not have current registration
  • Toyota will not make keys for anything before 1991
  • the lock smith/s this guy has talked to are telling him they need a "registration" however I am unsure if he has showed them the expired registration but has shown them the title
I must be missing something because this just doesn't seem right, perhaps this guy is lying to me and hasn't asked anyone or if he has did not explain the actual situation well enough.

I can still get the car but I am going to have to break in and use dollies on the front tires to move it around which I would rather not do.

Anyone from CA got any insight to this situation, I am trying to determine fact from fiction at this point.

Title should be good, what more then that proves ownership. I don't think you're looking at a "Calif" thing.

Yeah thats what I am thinking, I get the feeling that he is blowing sunshine up my backside.

Have you looked at getting a coded lock set consisting of ignition, doors etc with keys ready to go?

Any locksmith will carry that rod to unlock the door then I think the ignition lock will need to be removed so he can make a key. I think the whole situation may be too expensive for him to pay????

Any locksmith will carry that rod to unlock the door then I think the ignition lock will need to be removed so he can make a key. I think the whole situation may be too expensive for him to pay????

They quoted me $120 to come out and make a key

Well this deal is not done yet.... So the people that have the car are supposed to get the key made (since the title is in the guys name and he physically has the car). So after I called the locksmith I handed the information off to the car's owner, then later on I hear that he called the locksmith but was told that they needed to see if they had a blank key and would call back but hadn't as of last night. Either the car owner is stupid or is super lazy. I know that he doesn't want the car so that isn't it, but its starting to piss me off.

Here is another option, not that hard to install.
upload_2022-1-27_11-31-20.png

Here is a video of the installation. Since you don't have a key, you will have to drive the lock pin in with a punch — don't damage the housing.

I was told that they have an appointment for 4pm today to have the locksmith come over and make the key, so we will see.

Thanks for all of the information and comments thus far.

UPDATE: We have success (finally), a locksmith showed up and made a key, got the car open and steering wheel unlocked... I think we are good now, thanks for all of the support.

Auto Transport Service
Back