• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gun safety

Same here. The criminals with guns don't scare me, its the people who have guns to protect themselves from criminals with guns that terrify me.

d907970448930256283669503f4c9295.jpg

I was five years old when Dad made it very clear every gun he owns is loaded, every gun his friends own are loaded... If you see a gun, assume it is loaded because it is... Further training came later when I was eight to ten years old but understanding all guns are loaded was taught early & it made an impression on me that & remember nearly sixty years later....

IMO everyone should be given the same training.... Alec Baldwin has handled enough guns he should know the basic rules of firearm safety... He should be held accountable... He demands accountability of Police & Military.. We need to demand accountability of Hollywood....

Post number 35 said 2 things had to happen. #1 He pointed the gun at someone. #2 He pulled the trigger. You forgot one other thing. It was a Single Action Colt ( or replica). He also had to cock it first.
Every body failed in this situation. As we have heard it. They are probably still getting their stories straight. Live ammo never allowed on set. Firearms always in the control of the armorer, except when the scene is being shot and then the armorer immediately regains control and secures the arms.
Why was a non actor being the subject of Alec's aim ? 2 people were hit. One bullet passed through both people ?
No apologies only responsibility, jail sentences and fines/lawsuits/settlements now.
Hire NRA instructors for all firearm involved movie productions to be on set at all times.
The comment about trusting a 24 year old girl was totally out of order. It depends on the person. What is the appropriate age to trust anyone ? Boy/man, girl/woman.

A complete collection of fools in the movie industry.
They are what's wrong with our country.

If you hand me a gun I check it, I don’t count on you. Even if I know you, if I haven’t shot a particular gun I ask how to work it. I teach my kids too. I know I trust my friends and family but I still check. I’m responsible for it not anybody else no matter what. If I pull the trigger I’m responsible .. It’s common sense..Do not pass the buck on responsibility movie star or not ! We would hang!

A movie set is no place for a real gun.....thats why they make prop guns that basically are an overgrown cap gun. I own several prop guns along with many real handguns if they were in a pile you can not tell them apart even holding it is hard to tell them apart. they are heavy metal with all the same moving parts, they go bang sounding real, they cannot accept a real bullet perfect for movie sets as they were intended for. There should NEVER be a real gun on set for any reason.

I think it's on the director who picked the gun up (should not have), and handed it to Baldwin, declaring it safe. Nevertheless, a sad and tragic event for all involved.
It is ALWAYS on the person pulling the trigger.

I don't care if God himself hands you the gun. CHECK IT YOURSELF.

I was at my LGS last night, seeing what they had. EVERY gun they handed me out of the case, they checked. Then handed it to me. I pointed it at the floor, away from them, and checked it again with my own eyes.

I know them.
I trust them
I STILL double-check them.

And...they appreciate it when I do.

Our society has looked at Hollywood for unrealistic "standards" for decades. People have a soft spot for these pampered elitist that shove counter culture and philanthropic causes down our throats. Is this another exercise for gun control? We'll know the second a politician gets involved.

It's easy to see the media is covering this up. This is a "celebrity", so they elevate him. Now the masses can't see this is far more than an accident, it's emotional for them.
When the evidence presented it is crystal clear, he pointed, (as Leo stated, cocked the trigger) and pulled the trigger.......... seems to form intent........even if it was a prop and obviously, it was not and proves operator error.

"you better cock your piece, all the way, 'til it locks" (my True Grit humor)

Well,
sadly, Alec Baldwin made a comment a few years ago about Cops innocently, mistakenly killing some innocent person.
He asked: "I wonder how they feel"
Now, he is on the other end...
Hey Alec, How does it feel?

Alec Baldwin haunted over old tweet about fatal cop shooting

Furthermore,
The "Rust" incident happened when they "Technically" were not shooting film...
So, possible he aimed the gun at her and squeezed the trigger?
But, in all fairness
1. It was the Armor's fault, and assistant Armor's fault
2. An experienced gun person should have checked the "rounds"

I hate Alec Baldwin but I have to give him a PASS If the scene was being filmed.
If the Scene was not being filmed and he just pointed and squeezed, that would be so sad.

Bottom line is:
(Hollywood is talking)
The Film was Low Budget, Non-Union (Ahem...Non-Experienced) people were running the project.
The Assistant Director was trying to succeed with Low Budget, hoping that IF it all went good, under budget then it would look good on the Resume'
Sad
Someone need to be accountable for the Homocide
I agree with what you say here with the exception on non-union = non-experienced. Getting into any of the film industry unions is a catch 22. To become a union member you need to have worked for a company who is a signatory of one of the craft unions, but they rarely hire non-union workers.

What I find interesting is that the media reports say Baldwin was practicing draws when the gun discharged implying that it just went off rather than he pulled the trigger.

I wonder why there'd ever be a need for a "real" weapon on set. Wouldn't a gun with the pin removed serve same purpose and remove all the danger? Seems silly this is even an issue today.

On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene in The Crow where his character is shot and killed by thugs.[97] In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee fires a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.[98]

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun (which was a real revolver) was loaded with improperly made dummy rounds, improvised from live cartridges that had the powder charges removed by the special effects crew, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges, and at some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired. Although there were no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck—a dangerous condition known as a squib load. During the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank's propellant and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[99][100]

After Massee pulled the trigger and shot Lee, Lee fell backwards instead of forwards as he was supposed to. When the director said "cut", Lee did not stand up and the crew thought he was either still acting or kidding around. Jeff Imada, who immediately checked Lee, noticed something wrong when he came close and noted Lee was unconscious and breathing heavily. Medic Clyde Baisey went over and shook Lee to see if he was dazed by hitting his head during the fall, but did not think Lee had been shot since there was no visible bleeding. Baisey took Lee's pulse, which was regular, but within two to three minutes it slowed down dramatically, and stopped.[101]

Lee was rushed to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, North Carolina. Attempts to save him were unsuccessful and after six hours of emergency surgery, Lee was pronounced dead at 1:03 pm on March 31, 1993. He was 28 years old. The shooting was ruled an accident due to negligence.[102] Lee's death led to the re-emergence of conspiracy theories surrounding his father's similarly early death.[103] Lee was buried next to his father at the Lake View Cemetery in Seattle, Washington. A private funeral attended by 50 took place in Seattle on April 3. The following day, 200 of Lee's family and business associates attended a memorial service at actress Polly Bergen's house in Los Angeles. Among the attendees were Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, David Hasselhoff, Steven Seagal, David Carradine, and Melissa Etheridge.[104][105]

I've worked in the industry since the '90s. Live, not film, even ran a 1,600 seat roadhouse for 10 years (300 shows a season). Union is a racket - think "teamsters". Seriously.

Just because you're "in the union" doesn't mean you're more qualified to do the job. Not at all. All it means is you pay dues, to get priority on certain gigs.

I'll take non-union riggers over union guys any day. Union guys don't "move with purpose" - they "need to log their hours". I need to do a show in three hours, get my scenery up NOW!!!

What I find interesting is that the media reports say Baldwin was practicing draws when the gun discharged implying that it just went off rather than he pulled the trigger.
Guns don't "go off". The ONLY possible exception to that, especially on an old gun (if this was, indeed, an original SA revolver), is a drop.

I can throw my loaded Hellcat against a wall like a fastball, and it won't fire. There is no external safety. It has a bladed trigger that blocks the trigger pull unless you are doing it correctly, and there is a firing pin block attached to the trigger (it's a striker-fire). That is called "drop-safe", and just about every single firearm nowadays is drop-safe except for shotguns. My Mossberg 500 is not drop-safe, so I store it "cruiser-ready" like the police - full mag tube, empty chamber. Pump a round into the chamber and pull the trigger.

If it "went off when he was practicing drawing", he would have shot himself in the foot or leg...not another person in the neck.

His finger was on the trigger, plain and simple.

Added Corrie: “The reason that Alec Baldwin did not check the firearm is because… he’s not given time to do so. It is an understood that when the firearm is handed to him it is in proper working order. And that is the responsibility of the armorer prop master, whoever is in control of the firearms on set. So all the armchair quarterbacks that are sitting back and saying well, Alec Baldwin is responsible because he didn’t check the gun, that’s not the procedure that’s used on set — so stop with that. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the armorer or prop master or whomever is on set in control and responsible for those firearms being available and made ready for each scene.”

Merrick centered his concerns on the fact that the low-budget, independent film had reportedly seen some of its union crew walk off set in protest of the working conditions, and the prop department was replaced with an out-of-state, non-union staff.

Auto Transport Service
Back