• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heat

steve from staten island

Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Upper nineties today. I took my time but welding burning in sun, i did six hours and called it a day. The heat was never a issue like it is now. I did my time working in weather and in the power house but now i feel for some of you guys. How do you handle it?

Been working in intermodal maintenance for 10 years, no where to hide no shelter from rain snow sun or cold, it was rough even when I first started at 18. I've worked my way into management and am glad to be out of the elements.

Upper nineties today. I took my time but welding burning in sun, i did six hours and called it a day. The heat was never a issue like it is now. I did my time working in weather and in the power house but now i feel for some of you guys. How do you handle it?
Steve I feel for you, I don't think I could do it any more, spent one summer building tanks in shreveport , NOTHING hot bothered me after that summer, five of us could drink 7 gal of gator aid a day, nothing like being able to drink that much in a days time and not piss even once!! could not take our gloves off, had to sit on boards to keep from burning blisters on our asses. running 3/16 jet rods all day is a pretty warm job. by the time we got 3 rings up there was no air at all inside, then the overheads on the floating lid, 3/16 6010, gotta stop now starting to sweat just talking about it. Dave.

It's been upper nineties and humid since Thursday.

I chore my animals early morning before sunrise to avoid stressing them. Work outside the rest of the day. Luckily there's a stiff breeze to take the edge off. Luckily my old Dakota has got cold air so I hop in frequently. Not quite as productive when it's miserable outside. But can't avoid work just because it's unpleasant. I feel your pain Steve. I was a millright worker once upon a time and welding in this **** is pure hell.

I feel bad for my dogs. They don't get to stay outside for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Steve I feel for you, I don't think I could do it any more, spent one summer building tanks in shreveport , NOTHING hot bothered me after that summer, five of us could drink 7 gal of gator aid a day, nothing like being able to drink that much in a days time and not piss even once!! could not take our gloves off, had to sit on boards to keep from burning blisters on our asses. running 3/16 jet rods all day is a pretty warm job. by the time we got 3 rings up there was no air at all inside, then the overheads on the floating lid, 3/16 6010, gotta stop now starting to sweat just talking about it. Dave.
Wow Dave, i just hope you had a 300 amp plus stinger and good grounds/cable! Its amazing in the winter i have a cup of tea and I'm pissing like a race horse. Now I'm drinking water/gator aid and i dont have to hardly go LOL. Never did big tank work but i know its no walk in the park

Wow Dave, i just hope you had a 300 amp plus stinger and good grounds/cable! Its amazing in the winter i have a cup of tea and I'm pissing like a race horse. Now I'm drinking water/gator aid and i dont have to hardly go LOL. Never did big tank work but i know its no walk in the park
Yes, we were using those big jackson stingers on a piece of cable as big as your thumb, on most days we had a bucket of water nearby, disconnect the stinger lead and let it soak in the bucket of water for a few minutes to cool it. we were running off of an old miller eight pac with one ground lead, that thing would get so hot that the insulation would drip off of it, the ground lead was about 3/4 inch lead, and still wasn't big enough. worst summer of my life working. glad its over. Dave.

I don't have A/C in my shop but I find that a fan moving the air can make the difference from not being able to take it and being able to bear it . . . the catch-22 of that is when you're welding, you can't have the air flow directly on the area that you're welding so that it disrupts the welding gas . . . might have to shield the area to allow the welding to work better . . .

The heat and humidity in North Carolina can be brutal, and getting out in the shop on a regular basis can help me get "used to" ( and I'll use that term loosely ) the temp changes as it gets into August, and I find I can keep going to the shop and working. As I get older . . . it IS getting a bit more difficult to bear the heat and the cold . . .

I do what I can to get by . . . good luck . . .

I work in the Electric Utility Industry, so I've never done welding ( at least purposely, haha). Long sleeve FR shirts, rubber gloves and sleeves makes for a very warm day. I can't imagine welding heat on top of that. Don't drink too much electrolytes tho, it can mess you up too.
If you're not expelling water at least every 2 hours, your not drinking enough.
Water
Electrolytes
Water
Learn the symptoms of both heat exhaustion and heat stroke. We had a Lineman go down yesterday with heat exhaustion.

I work in the Electric Utility Industry, so I've never done welding ( at least purposely, haha). Long sleeve FR shirts, rubber gloves and sleeves makes for a very warm day. I can't imagine welding heat on top of that. Don't drink too much electrolytes tho, it can mess you up too.
If you're not expelling water at least every 2 hours, your not drinking enough.
Water
Electrolytes
Water
Learn the symptoms of both heat exhaustion and heat stroke. We had a Lineman go down yesterday with heat exhaustion.
What do you prefer Wacko working in the heat, or whiteout blizzard? Or freezing rain? There should be a Linesman appreciation day. Lol
I don't have A/C in my shop but I find that a fan moving the air can make the difference from not being able to take it and being able to bear it . . . the catch-22 of that is when you're welding, you can't have the air flow directly on the area that you're welding so that it disrupts the welding gas . . . might have to shield the area to allow the welding to work better . . .

The heat and humidity in North Carolina can be brutal, and getting out in the shop on a regular basis can help me get "used to" ( and I'll use that term loosely ) the temp changes as it gets into August, and I find I can keep going to the shop and working. As I get older . . . it IS getting a bit more difficult to bear the heat and the cold . . .

I do what I can to get by . . . good luck . . .
I don't have A/C in my shop either. A couple of large fans to keep the sweat off the concrete is about all I can do

What do you prefer Wacko working in the heat, or whiteout blizzard? Or freezing rain? There should be a Linesman appreciation day. Lol

Well, when I did linework regularly, yes the dinosaurs were extinct, I preferred between 20 and 40 degrees. Keep moving and you're warm, not hot enough to sweat - perfect. I never met a good linehand who was cold. I mentioned once as an apprentice my feet were cold, the old Line Chief winked at me and said "get your hooks on n get up the pole, it's warmer up there". 120 feet later he was right.

You haven't experienced HEAT till you've been in the Middle East, full combat gear, in a fire fight, summer heat, and no way too cool down! That's HEAT!!

San Jose. No weather here.

Gonna be 104 here in sunny southeastern Arizona today....110 by the weekend and 114 Monday and Tuesday. I do not work outside thankfully, but I do walk twice a day for 30 min each time outside, so I am interested to see if I can deal with 114 degrees. The hottest I have walked in so far is 109 last summer, that that was definitely not comfortable! I always hydrate well before going and I take my cell phone in case I get it to trouble. Now I will find out if my wife wants me to come home or just my life insurance!

Oh "Suck it up Buttercup"!

(tee-hee-hee)
I had to do it Stevie!
Forgive me, it was all in fun......
The CRAZY thing is, Monday and Tuesday here in the Mojave Desert it was 68 and 72 but in RI where my family is from, it was 94!
Warmer there than the Mojave!
Oh, today is 104 BTW and tomorrow is expected to be 108

Oh "Suck it up Buttercup"!

(tee-hee-hee)
I had to do it Stevie!
Forgive me, it was all in fun......
The CRAZY thing is, Monday and Tuesday here in the Mojave Desert it was 68 and 72 but in RI where my family is from, it was 94!
Warmer there than the Mojave!
Oh, today is 104 BTW and tomorrow is expected to be 108
Now that made my day!!! Thanks Ski i needed a good laugh.

God Cooking Arizona.jpg

American Ronald Reagan Can't make them see the light make them feel the heat.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back