• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley Street Dominator on RB Stroker

Just planning on using an old fashioned carb.

I'd use the SD for clearance and then add a Holley Sniper. The Sniper will allow you to easily "super tune" the engine combination. But don't do it unless you know something about computers since tuning EFI does require at least a basic understanding of attaching files and finding folders on a computer.

I have consider using a stand alone EFI engine management system. It is called a Megasquirt but I didn't consider it ever for my 69 Fury III. I wanted it for my small Mopar at one time and the only car I really ever built.
A 1986 Dodge Omni GLHS Shelby I restored/ modified in the 1990's.
But I chickened out and went with a custom flashed chip in a modified socketed computer. These are a few pics after 15 years of storage at her first autocross that happened a month ago.

20190929_120945 (1).jpg
20190929_121021.jpg

Last edited:
I have consider using a stand alone EFI engine management system. It is called a Megasquirt but I didn't consider it ever for my 69 Fury III. I wanted it for my small Mopar at one time and the only car I really ever built.
A 1986 Dodge Omni GLHS Shelby I restored/ modified in the 1990's.
But I chickened out and went with a custom flashed chip in a modified socketed computer. These are a few pics after 15 years of storage at her first autocross that happened a month ago.

View attachment 857258 View attachment 857259

That's really cool.

Hey guys ,my home base is FCBO but I lurk around here from time to time and thought you might help me with my decision on intake manifolds on my 505 stroker build.
The car is a 1969 Fury III . It now has a mild 440. I am keeping the 3.23 rear as one of the things this car does best is blasting down a highway. I am keeping HP exhaust manifolds,,I know,I know,,i am keeping them. Stealth heads mildy worked by Dwayne Porter of Porter Racing in Burlington VT and a custom roller cam of his design. 440 Source bottom end at 10 to 1 cr. I want a rather civilized idle with decent vacuum which is what I specified to Mr Porter on the cam. I was told to run a 800 cfm carb and a Edelbrock Performer RPM. Second choice by Mr Porter would be a Dominator intake because he realised room under the hood may be a problem with the Eddy. My question is will a decent idle be a problem with this intake and around town manners? Or will the stroker be moving so much air and stroke it won't care? This car I want to be a big comfortable powerful cruiser. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Mr Porter told me the Street Dominator would work well and the idle differences between the Edel RPM and Dominator would be different but not a huge difference. Mr Porter did the top end for me with a custom roller cam and mildly worked Stealth heads. So why do I ask this then?
I ordered a few days ago the 440 source bottom end etc. I was speaking to the guy there at 440 source and asked about the Street Dominator intake. He did not recommend it and said the Performer RPM was the way to go. He was not too specific why the Holley wasn't recommended. Didn't have good luck with it or something. Or is it as simple as they don't sell it?? That is why I came here as there is a lot of experience with strokers and high performance in general. As I said my build isn't radical and rather conservative compared to what some of you do here. If I make an honest 500 hp and high 500's tq with good behavior on pump gas I will be happy. I like the low design of the Holley SD as I can use the Dual Snorkel stock air cleaner easily but wanted to make sure.
I appreciate your thoughts. Kern Dog's too!

I had the edelbrook performer rpm and carb on a roadrunner i bought. I chaneged to a Weiand Intake Manifold and a Holley Street Avenger Carb. runs excellent and clearance issues solved. The Formula for your carb is multiply your cubic inches by top rpm and divide by 3456 and that will tell you wether you need an 800 or 700 or 600 for example. My Road Runner has a 670 street avenger and an 800 would be too much carb for motor. some will say also multiply by volume efficiency which on your motor should be 85%. but it comes to the same as C.I.x rpm divided by 3456. The Weiand intake is a Holley Product and is HP intake. as far as idle sounds your cam and muffler choice is what determines that not air intake.

Great Fury and also a neat 86 GLHS!! I had an 87 GLHS but always liked the 4 door Omni style better.

Mines not a stroker but I have a SD on my 440, 800 AVS2, Hughes STL 3842 cam, MCH ported Stealth heads. Idle quality is fine, lumpiness can be attributed to the cam. Choke removed from the carb and cold starts are still excellent, 30 seconds of feathering and it will idle on it's own, whether it is 100 degrees or 50 degrees.

I have enough power down low that I doubt I would notice any difference between the RPM and SD. I originally bought it for clearance issues but have since installed a 6 pack hood. Still have the SD.

I had the edelbrook performer rpm and carb on a roadrunner i bought. I chaneged to a Weiand Intake Manifold and a Holley Street Avenger Carb. runs excellent and clearance issues solved. The Formula for your carb is multiply your cubic inches by top rpm and divide by 3456 and that will tell you wether you need an 800 or 700 or 600 for example. My Road Runner has a 670 street avenger and an 800 would be too much carb for motor. some will say also multiply by volume efficiency which on your motor should be 85%. but it comes to the same as C.I.x rpm divided by 3456. The Weiand intake is a Holley Product and is HP intake. as far as idle sounds your cam and muffler choice is what determines that not air intake.

Yes thanks for that. I crunched the numbers and came up with 800 cfm which is what Mr Porter told me to use also.

Great Fury and also a neat 86 GLHS!! I had an 87 GLHS but always liked the 4 door Omni style better.

Mines not a stroker but I have a SD on my 440, 800 AVS2, Hughes STL 3842 cam, MCH ported Stealth heads. Idle quality is fine, lumpiness can be attributed to the cam. Choke removed from the carb and cold starts are still excellent, 30 seconds of feathering and it will idle on it's own, whether it is 100 degrees or 50 degrees.

I have enough power down low that I doubt I would notice any difference between the RPM and SD. I originally bought it for clearance issues but have since installed a 6 pack hood. Still have the SD.

Thanks for the compliments on the cars,I appreciate it. I guess I could say I own one of the biggest and smallest of Mopars lol. Maybe someday I will get one in the middle.
Good to hear your experience with the Street Dominator. How do you like the Eddy 800 cfm AVS2? Fits the SD ok and runs well??
I was wondering if I need a choke at all also. I live in the North East in Massachusetts. I don't tend to drive it when it is in the 40's or lower.
Would I miss the electric choke I wonder?

get the choke
you will end up with less start up wash down from the squirters
I'd run 0W-xx oil

He probably just means your choice...30...40...50.
0w-30 is a better, new formulated oil than 10w-30, especially for a roller.
Ok thanks ,I didn't know that. I was planning on running some oil that contains zinc also.

Auto Transport Service
Back