• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to test ignition components.

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Hello again.
I'm curious about how to test ignition components to know if they are good or bad.
Let's say that I buy a box of parts at a swap meet and get them home. Of course I'd want to keep the good stuff and dump the junk.
I take my electrical multi-meter and do an ohms test, right?
Ballast resistors, coils, distributors, ECMs....

Post_count.jpg

I could have the most advanced equipment but if I don't know how to use it, I'd be just as lost as I am now.
Like many of you, I like to make do with the simple tools to get a job done. I am not one to jump to the most expensive or complicated way to get there.
I tested the ballast that I took out of the car, it gave no reading at all so to me, that means that it is bad.
Would a bad coil have really high or really low resistance? I don't have a dead coil here to test.
Looking at a Chiltons manual regarding Car fails to start, they list 5 things to check, the ballast resistor being the first thing, then the coil, the pickup coil in the distributor, the wiring, then the spark box ECM last.
If I had a factory service manual from the era when electronic ignition was standard equipment, I could look for what they advise for troubleshooting.

@HALIFAXHOPS has a great manual on testing electronic ignition parts. Was not very expensive and a great book to have to reference.

A coil might test ok with a resistance check.....but break down under load. For some ign components, substitution is the only way to test them.

I guess without spending the money on testing equipment, putting stuff on a known good running car is the cheap and easy way.
I have at least 10-15 coils, maybe 50 ballast resistors mostly 4 pin, maybe 8 ECMs, numerous distributors...I've picked up parts from all over.
Having all this stuff here has made me lazy though. I haven't developed the diagnostic skills since it is so easy just to start swapping parts.

I meet him at Carlisle. He is not only a nice guy, but willing to share his knowledge to all.

Make sure you dress for the occasion Greg.

1722324245666.png

Marty told him about the idea for the Flux Capacitor right after that.

NAPA Echlin electronic Ignition Service Manual. You can get them buy it now on eBay.

Hello again.
I'm curious about how to test ignition components to know if they are good or bad.
Let's say that I buy a box of parts at a swap meet and get them home. Of course I'd want to keep the good stuff and dump the junk.
I take my electrical multi-meter and do an ohms test, right?
Ballast resistors, coils, distributors, ECMs....
Sounds like you've become or becoming a "hoarder".....buying stuff just to buy it, not knowing whether it's good, bad, functional or not. Have a spare or two ok....having 10-12 of the same thing.....????
BOB RENTON

Sounds like you've become or becoming a "hoarder".....buying stuff just to buy it, not knowing whether it's good, bad, functional or not. Have a spare or two ok....having 10-12 of the same thing.....????
BOB RENTON
Will you just go the heck away?
You rarely add anything of value to the forum.
Do you ever do anything? I mean, actual work on any cars?
All I read from you is your perceived superiority complex.
I get calls from people that clear out their stuff and don’t want to throw it away. Some of the stuff is junk, some is not.
People like me that still actually work on these cars sometimes need a part that isn’t easily found anymore. I’ve given away all sorts of stuff to guys that are either short on cash or just don’t know where else to find it.
What do you do for other people that helps them?

I get calls from people that clear out their stuff and don’t want to throw it away. Some of the stuff is junk, some is not.
People like me that still actually work on these cars sometimes need a part that isn’t easily found anymore. I’ve given away all sorts of stuff to guys that are either short on cash or just don’t know where else to find it.
ABSOLUTEY NOT......why can't I express my thoughts the same as you??....not in the same details or minutiae but in a more comprehensive manner......my thoughts are knowledge based based on real time occurrences.....
BOB RENTON

Calm down gif.gif

C'mon man.......Bob is entitled to be here as much as anyone Greg. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back