• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m building 2 440s- what should I build?

What 440 should I build?

• Total voters

Joe’sMoparMess

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
I just got an insane deal on 2 440s and one even still has the 727 attached. Assuming the blocks are in good shape (otherwise the deal was not so good ) I plan to build them both. The first one is going to be a budget build, mostly stock, trying to get around 400hp. The second motor is where I need your help, should I go with a stroker kit, 6 pack, forced induction, or a combo of these?

To me nothing tells me performance more on a 440 than a 6 pack.

I would go for a stroker and get some serious torque monster out of it!
Forget the 6 pack and slam EFI on it! :)

I hope you are a good wrench. Anything better than stock will need your ongoing attention. Its very exciting and rewarding when its completed.

I would go for a stroker and get some serious torque monster out of it!
Forget the 6 pack and slam EFI on it! :)
You do know they have a 6-pack EFi setup right?
fitech-413-440-6-pak-fuel-injection-kit-1.png

You do know they have a 6-pack EFi setup right?

No i did not, but that is even more badass!! :thumbsup:

Assuming you would have the same CFM that suits the engine perfectly , would there be much difference between a singe (4 barrel) or 6-pack setup in EFI or carb? Tq or Hp?

I just got an insane deal on 2 440s and one even still has the 727 attached. Assuming the blocks are in good shape (otherwise the deal was not so good ) I plan to build them both. The first one is going to be a budget build, mostly stock, trying to get around 400hp. The second motor is where I need your help, should I go with a stroker kit, 6 pack, forced induction, or a combo of these?

A curiosity question....

In these days of uncertain economic times, due in part to inflation, rising energy prices, pending Ukrainian situation......WHY would consider spending large sums of money on something of questionable value? Wouldn't it be prudent to wait until the overall world situation improves? Making a mortgage payment (assume that you have one) makes more sense than building a "stroker six pack" engine with forced induction system (for what purose).....perhaps now is the time to reconsider....... Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Stroker (4.15 stroke X 7.1 rod length) with a ported CH28B and Trick Flows. But just because I've always wanted similar to that; world stage, personal situation, and fuel prices be damned... I would run carburetors, but in the end, that's your choice entirely.

Fi tech EFI systems have alot of issues. If you go EFI six pack build your own harnesses. Theirs are cheap junk from my experiences working with several of my buddies cars.

In these days of uncertain economic times, due in part to inflation, rising energy prices, pending Ukrainian situation......WHY would consider spending large sums of money on something of questionable value? Wouldn't it be prudent to wait until the overall world situation improves? Making a mortgage payment (assume that you have one) makes more sense than building a "stroker six pack" engine with forced induction system (for what purose).....perhaps now is the time to reconsider....... Just my opinion of course.....

There is always something going on on this planet, enjoy life while you can because life is too short to sit and wait for better times.
Who cares about "questionable" value, build it and enjoy it.
There will always be a crisis, being war, oil/gas prices, covid, you name it.

There is always something going on on this planet, enjoy life while you can because life is too short to sit and wait for better times.
Who cares about "questionable" value, build it and enjoy it.
There will always be a crisis, being war, oil/gas prices, covid, you name it.

THAT SIR, is a matter of personal opinion and choice......the question may be that of being able to remain solvent, without any obligations, owing nothing to anyone. Or perhaps, having a 10 second "pro street" vehicle, what ever that is, is of utmost importance to you....to that I say: more power to you...have at it. I'll continue along my chosen path and enjoy my ability to do so....without obligation.
BOB RENTON

THAT SIR, is a matter of personal opinion and choice......

What is your comment then? Or do i need to read it as a suggestion...
Obviously people who are burried under a massive mortgage and need the money for building a house are not asking a question on what to do with 2 engines he just purchased and how to spend money he doesn't own.
The question is raised as a plan, though unsure of what particular path to take he ask an opinion on what others would do in regards of engine build, not asking to do it now or wait until Putin has conquered the Ukraine.

Way off topic here… but as far as that conquering the Ukraine goes, Putin seems to be ignoring one thing there that’s going to plaque whoever owns it in the future. The remains of the Chernobyl power plant with its six tons of eternally radioactive coreage. Making yourself into a pariah nation to steal that which is certain to be an on-going maintenance issue that’s been a MAJOR undertaking for the whole world for oneself just doesn’t seem like wise planning.
Well, unless you plan on planting a Tsar Bomba there to have it on hand for a new doomsday device… the fallout would make a cobalt salted device look like a toy.

Last edited:
Putin could afford to build 2 440s AND start a major war all at the same time.
Hope that clears that up! :drinks:

Forget about that stroker kit and super charger, make it nuclear powered.
A single Uranium rod will run you for years to come while at WOT going past those fuel stations! :D

Auto Transport Service
Back