• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's The Truck It Self That Failed

44,000 lb rears has become the norm for rears on tri-axle dumps and roll-offs because they're cheaper. If you want a "construction" truck, aka garbage, dump, cement, etc. to last, 58,000 lb rears are a must. In the 1980's, we had a few tandem roll-offs with 65,000 lb rears and walking beam suspension. You couldn't kill them trucks.

View attachment 663671
Double frames , wasn't that for the weight?

I could not believe the power of rust until i saw it on double frame trucks. The rust between the frames actually would bend the legs of the channel upwards. Even between the mounts of a tri axel i have seen it bow out the steel in between the mounting bolts.. i would have never thought that

Fuggedabout it !!!! Your last name end in a vowel???

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

fuggedaboutit.jpg

:rofl::rofl:

Rust is really powerful....and you don't have to be in the rust belt to see it. Just spend some time in Galveston and you'll find it lol

Nope I'm not...
I just didn't agree with what he said about the org.
problem in his posts...

pretty simple
Your i think said you have a mechanical engineering degree so your opinion would be well taken. Again my take is this and its based on my experience not just on trucks but structural jobs and the such...
The frames are basically a channel engineered for a certain spec. When a apartment building is put up with balconies the architects design the channel or I beam to extend out a certain distance from the building and carry its own weight and the weight of given amount of square feet load.
My though would be how much can that frame carry at that point right behind the cab when lifted at that point? The frame would have to carry its own weight, the rear and the body but the load is not at the very end of the channel but spread out over the distance of the frame.
My feelings were the web is to short and to thin. We know all channels are placed the "hard" way for strength of course but i still feel the distance from right behind the cab to right in front of the rear, assuming this is the normal spot to lift a truck, should not result in the failure of a frame in good condition. I do understand behind the cab is the wrong spot and would stress the frame at that point. What do you think?

The frame will have been engineered to carry the load from top not bottom
and 70% of the truck weight carried on that point load would have failed new
The GVW of a truck is for an even spread of load not concentrated in one spot

The frame will have been engineered to carry the load from top not bottom
and 70% of the truck weight carried on that point load would have failed new
The GVW of a truck is for an even spread of load not concentrated in one spot
I dont disagree, i dont understand what you mean on the bottom. The truck was carrying almost no load except for the body which was minimal. If the truck was loaded to the maximum of its load capacity, ,maybe it could split if improperly lifted. But thats not the case. Remember were taking how many feet from the rear of the cab to in front of the rear. There is no way that frame should have ripped apart like that unless it was damaged or rotted.

All of the macks we had were 44,000 lbs rears i can remember a couple of pumpkins needing replaced but we kept up on the rear suspensions we only kept the trucks 9 to 10 years and we got rid of them .

All of the macks we had were 44,000 lbs rears i can remember a couple of pumpkins needing replaced but we kept up on the rear suspensions we only kept the trucks 9 to 10 years and we got rid of them .
Who did you work for, County Disposal?

I started at BFI in 88 i worked at a couple smaller companies before that I think around 99 allied bought BFI out i worked there for about the last year allied owned it i was out on long term disability when republic bought it . They let me go because i had been out to long i ended up on SSD county waste bought three smaller companies around here when they started I have heard county is up for sale .

I started at BFI in 88 i worked at a couple smaller companies before that I think around 99 allied bought BFI out i worked there for about the last year allied owned it i was out on long term disability when republic bought it . They let me go because i had been out to long i ended up on SSD county waste bought three smaller companies around here when they started I have heard county is up for sale .
I drive through Fredericksburg all the time on US-29 and see the County trucks. BFI bought out one of my families transfer stations in the early 90's.

I believe they have a lot of stuff up and down the east coast one thing about county they don't mind buying new trucks and equipment neither does republic .

You must run up and down 17 all the time .

I believe they have a lot of stuff up and down the east coast one thing about county they don't mind buying new trucks and equipment neither does republic .
Republic runs my area. They hire the WORST drivers. I actually applied with Waste Management when I first moved to North Carolina. They wouldn't hire me as a driver because I didn't have recent driving experience even though I have had a CDL since 1987. They offered me a diesel mechanic job starting at $14.50 HR. I laughed at them all the way out the door. Did me a favor, cause they pushed me to buy my own truck.

The trash business isn't what it used to be bfi and allied always treated me good but didn't pay as much Waste management is the most screwed up company i have ever seen they bought the first company i worked for and lost all the customers within a couple years. The last timed i worked i made 24 a HR my friend who got me to work for BFI just quit republic and went to work for county making 30 dollars a hour as a working night shift foreman he worked there for 30 years . I got my cdl when they made them mandatory i had got my chauffeurs license when i was 17 i drove a barrel truck .

You must run up and down 17 all the time .
Not 17, I run up US 29 on a regular basis.

Auggie56,

Any updates on your truck?
The pictures alone show the rear lift arms are not in the correct spots for a safe & proper lift.

Have you contacted any other news outlets? Worst case, contact a lawyer and paythe $100 consult. This will be an easy case...would likely see punitive damages added. Even if you only got repair costs (frame replacement is cheaper than a total) and had to give up 30-40 percent for lawyer fees, you are still better off than eating the whole thing...and it goes on record that the stealership was negligent. Don't let this go!

Auto Transport Service
Back