• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just put a new gas tank in my 67 Satellite and can’t get fuel through the line to the carb. Any tips?

tonyp25

Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Managed to puncture my old gas tank so I replaced it today. The fuel line was fairly new and so is the pump. Got all new gaskets and seals but reused fuel sending unit. The fuel gauge works fine still but I can’t get gas to the carb.

I tried pouring some gas in the carb as I have someone turn the ignition a bunch of times. It starts for a second and putters out. I also tried a little compressed air in the tank, while someone poured gas and another started it. Still not luck.

Next I guess I’m going to pull the fuel line off and connect the pump to a can just to make sure it works but not sure how to prime the line if it is working. Anything I might be missing?

Everything was untouched and left the same, except for the tank. My best guesses: 1.. fuel pump just gave up the ghost (coincidence)
2.. My best guess, is that you cracked the existing fuel line either at the sending unit or very close so the pump can't pull
3.. filter sock is in the tank but is not touching the fuel level, got bent somehow.
Best of luck

Disconnect the gas line at the tank and at the pump, then blow compressed air through the line to make sure it's clear. Next blow compressed air into the tank from the sending unit and listen for bubbling in the tank. If both those are good, disconnect the ignition and have someone try starting, while you put your finger over the fuel pump input to see if the pump is working. If working, yes you can feel it.

If you have a mityvac you could try suction on it just ahead of the pump-

i have seen the sending unit put in upside down

Pull the carb feed line off the pump. Crank & observe if fuel is being pumped. If not, see posts 3 & 6.

I tend to think simple. Do you have enough gas in the gas tank for the sending unit to draw from? I’d help a buddy install an aftermarket tank in his Chevy truck and the issue we had was that there wasn’t enough gas in the tank. All of the symptoms you describe were solved by adding more gas to the tank.

You did remember to put the fuel pump pushrod back in?

I think it might be the fuel pump all. For the life of me I can’t find a replacement to the below Carter online anywhere. Do those numbers mean anything to anyone? I bought a cheap replacement just to see and it seems to suck fuel but isn’t fitting flush. The engine is a 360.

69029K04A

IMG_9604.jpeg

IMG_9605.jpeg

I think it might be the fuel pump all. For the life of me I can’t find a replacement to the below Carter online anywhere. Do those numbers mean anything to anyone? I bought a cheap replacement just to see and it seems to suck fuel but isn’t fitting flush. The engine is a 360.

69029K04A

View attachment 1710564

View attachment 1710565

If it matches up to your old one, try turning the engine so the eccentric on the timing gear is farther away.

Hold the pump in place and use a remote button hooked to your starter relay to bump the starter. You'll feel the pump getting closer.

Pump lever on your new pump looks longer after the bend. If you put pump flanges next to each other are the levers the same length?

If you end up needing a new pump,​

Fits 1964-91 Sb Mopar Dodge La Hi Flow Fuel Pump 273 318 340 360, but there are cheaper units available.​

Redirect Notice
1723597414486.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to update and let anyone that finds the thread know it was the pump. Lots of good tips here if it wasn’t. Can’t believe the coincidence of the pump failing but maybe it ran dry for a second and was damaged or just really at the end of its life.

Just wanted to update and let anyone that finds the thread know it was the pump. Lots of good tips here if it wasn’t. Can’t believe the coincidence of the pump failing but maybe it ran dry for a second and was damaged or just really at the end of its life.
Ran into the same problem when replacing my fuel tank. No fuel to the carb, I thought I messed up somewhere as well. But it just turned out the fuel pump took a dump. Replaced fuel pump. Problem solved .

Auto Transport Service
Back