• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's it Worth Lil red express

hoover

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
was talking to the guy that owns the local hardware store and he told me he had a 79 lil red express in his barn.
The truck looks really nice in the pictures he showed me. Almost no rust at all.
The interior looks great.
Under the hood is all original and complete.
It is wearing it's original paint that looks goodbut dirty.
He wants me to make an offer on it.
I am positive that with a carb clean and fresh gas it would run and drive.
I know it is subjective, but I am looking for a ballpark price range for when I go and look at it.

"Retail" for a nice one at "classic car" dealerships is between 25 and 35K

"..make an offer on it". These types always seem to have Barrett-Jackson numbers floating around in their head. Or hoping someone throws a B-J number at it.

A member here just sold one reasonably priced.

If I was closer.....

I actually have known the owner for a few decades.
He isn't "that" guy.
I just want to make a fair offer that I won't feel guilty about.

How long has it been sitting? I’ve resurrected two trucks like you described. Brake system needs gone through, radiator will likely need re-cored, tires, etc. Without pictures we’re all shooting in the dark. Original parts like the air cleaner, hoses, etc all affect value. A very complete truck that will fluff and buff that’s been sitting is $15k. Add $4-5k for parts, radiator re-core will run close to grand if done right, tires another $700. Once back on the road and mechanically sound you’ll have a $25k truck. That’s with very nice wood too, add another $1500 or so for lumber. And what kind of barn are we talking about? You’re in MN, unheated barn will give you plenty to look at. Oh, and he’s selling the truck, he puts the number on it. Don’t be a free appraisal service.

For what it's worth, Hagerty puts it at $23,600 at number 3 condition and $37,000 for number 2 condition. I'm not sure how I would adjust for a barn find. I'd have to see it. Paint condition can make a big difference in how I would value it. Uncertain mechanicals would be a big discount for me. Tires, brakes and fuel system will need replaced. I don't know what your relationship with the owner is, but I would want my 1st offer to be declined. That's the only way to know you didn't start too high. I like @moparker 's suggestion.

The old trick was to pull out a wad of cash and then make an offer.
Amazing how the human brain reacts to a big bunch of bills.
***Make sure he has a clean title first though.

I had a guy do that one time who was seriously lowballing me. He put the cash in my hand and refused to take it back, and I wasn't making the deal. Eventually I just stuck it in my pocket and told him fine, I'll keep the car and the cash, and turned to walk away. He changed his tune real quick then. He ended up buying the car but at a price that I'd accept.

I had a guy do that one time who was seriously lowballing me. He put the cash in my hand and refused to take it back, and I wasn't making the deal. Eventually I just stuck it in my pocket and told him fine, I'll keep the car and the cash, and turned to walk away. He changed his tune real quick then. He ended up buying the car but at a price that I'd accept.
Well I wouldn't be pushy, it's not my nature.
But I wouldn't bring more cash than I intend to spend that's for sure.

He is your friend.

He has a number in his head. It could be way too low, or way to high. That is normal. You are a good guy for not wanting to low ball him.
Talk with him and feel it out. Discuss the "mechanicals" that absolutely must be taken care of to drive, and then the possible "aesthetics'" if that's where you want to go. A running driving vehicle is one thing, but after sitting for years, it is not that. Even if it got put away mint.

You can snoop around the internet and you will see many to compare. A fair offer is when you both feel good about the exchange.

True a wad of bills gets sellers attention but to large a wad could raise the price. I like the a wad he may take and maybe a couple of backup wads.

True a wad of bills gets sellers attention but to large a wad could raise the price. I like the a wad he may take and maybe a couple of backup wads.
Have to remember how much is in each pocket

I was told once that a fair deal is when both sides feel like they got screwed 'a little bit'. That makes a lot of sense to me.
Hmmm, I've heard it the opposite way.
My Dad sold new and used cars from 1968 to 1995. He often said that a good deal was when both parties felt that they got the better end of the deal.

Hmmm, I've heard it the opposite way.
My Dad sold new and used cars from 1968 to 1995. He often said that a good deal was when both parties felt that they got the better end of the deal.
Pretty much the same thing. The follow up statement is that if one guy thinks he got a good deal, the other guy likely got screwed.

Auto Transport Service
Back