• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MSD Distro ?

Virg464

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
Anyone ever have a pick up coil in a MSD distro go bad on them? I'm in the process of of tracking down the cause of a no spark condition, and just read about some folks having issues with the MSD coils? The distro was bought a few years ago (new), installed last year and the motor fired at the end of the year, ran perfect for break in (roller cam), stopped and restarted 3 or 4 times, has about 60 min of run time.

I've checked the distro pick up coil for resistance and its at 599 Ohms, they're website said it needs to be between 500 and 700 Ohms to be in spec.

The motor was running, sat for about a month, when I tried to start it again it fired and stumbled, then stalled. I got it to pop on a couple of cylinders after that, then nothing. Fuel pressure is good and the carb is getting fuel. Ignition control box, volt reg, engine block are grounded. I put a an old school in-line spark plug lamp on cyl #1 and no spark.

I'm running a "mancini version of the "Orange" box (ignition control), and a MSD blaster coil. Everything is checking out so far, just curious if the coil thing is a an issue to be considered.

Thanks

Check the ground wiring. I had similar no spark issues and actually got a new msd box only to find that the ground wiring had some broken strands inside the insulation and found it using dvom and wiggling the wires around. Replaced ground wiring and bingo, really easy to miss.

Anyone ever have a pick up coil in a MSD distro go bad on them? I'm in the process of of tracking down the cause of a no spark condition, and just read about some folks having issues with the MSD coils? The distro was bought a few years ago (new), installed last year and the motor fired at the end of the year, ran perfect for break in (roller cam), stopped and restarted 3 or 4 times, has about 60 min of run time.

I've checked the distro pick up coil for resistance and its at 599 Ohms, they're website said it needs to be between 500 and 700 Ohms to be in spec.

The motor was running, sat for about a month, when I tried to start it again it fired and stumbled, then stalled. I got it to pop on a couple of cylinders after that, then nothing. Fuel pressure is good and the carb is getting fuel. Ignition control box, volt reg, engine block are grounded. I put a an old school in-line spark plug lamp on cyl #1 and no spark.

I'm running a "mancini version of the "Orange" box (ignition control), and a MSD blaster coil. Everything is checking out so far, just curious if the coil thing is a an issue to be considered.

Thanks
What is a "distro pick up coil??" Nomenclature discriptions are exact....not approximations or vague phrases like dizzy, p/u coil, orange box....call the item what it is.....for a better understanding.....and a more complete answer. MSD components and systems troubles continue.....why not just use the origional Mopar system and avoid all troubles that seem to crop up? Once again, it seems as if miss matching with an unspecified coil is to blame......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

Check the ground wiring. I had similar no spark issues and actually got a new msd box only to find that the ground wiring had some broken strands inside the insulation and found it using dvom and wiggling the wires around. Replaced ground wiring and bingo, really easy to miss.
Ended up pulling the distributor out and put it on the bench. Checked it again for resistance, wide open! I believe I have a bad connection at the harness connector. Probably pull it apart and check the leads directly to see if its the pins in the connector or the coil.

What is a "distro pick up coil??" Nomenclature discriptions are exact....not approximations or vague phrases like dizzy, p/u coil, orange box....call the item what it is.....for a better understanding.....and a more complete answer. MSD components and systems troubles continue.....why not just use the origional Mopar system and avoid all troubles that seem to crop up? Once again, it seems as if miss matching with an unspecified coil is to blame......just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON
Thanks for sharing. I find it curious though, even with the non-exact phrases, you still knew what I was talking about?

Auto Transport Service
Back