• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new Y2 69 Bee project

Well I thought I would update this thread some. I have been busy working on other stuff and projects of mine and have not really done much with my 69 super bee since getting it home.
So this past Monday I got it in the shop to work on it. Now when I bought the car the guy I got it from told me that the clutch had issues and it made noise when you pushed it down. He said that it did run, but he quite messing with it due to the clutch issue. So my first order of business was to pull the trans out. So I Got that out Monday night. I found a 10.5" pressure plate with an 11" clutch disc in it. So Tuesday night I put everything back in with another clutch and pressure plate. By Wednesday I was thinking I was close to hearing the ole girl run for the first time. I came home and started to work. First order of business was to drain and replace the oil. Pull the drain plug to find quite a bit of water in the oil. First sign of trouble. I go get a ratchet and a socket and the engine turned over with no issues. So I go in the house and get a gallon of water to put in the radiator. Now I noticed when I got the car home back in April that the radiator was empty , but I chalked that up to he might have had water in it and had drained it to keep the corrosion down. So after pouring the gallon of water in the radiator I start to see water coming out of the oil pan drain plug hole. More signs of trouble. I got disgusted and just quit Wednesday might. Started fresh back last night to see what the issue might be . Pulled the intake off to look around and noticed some metal pieces in the intake runner of the head on the number 3 cylinder. I also noticed both pushrods were bent on that cylinder. So time to go deeper. Went ahead and pulled the drivers head off to find a broken exhaust valve on the number 1 cylinder and a completely busted piston and cylinder wall on the number 3. So I guess its down to either sleeve the motor or find another block. I don't understand peoples dishonesty with this stuff. I guess it did run all the way up until it blow up. I attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Matt

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0953.jpg
    IMG_0953.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 307
Damn man that ain't just a little broke. Sorry to hear this update but it's good excuse to stroke a 400 maybe ?

Great find. Finding restore-able is cars is getting harder. With my car, I had to find an engine, and then rebuild it. Good luck

The car looks good and solid with a nice list of options. Real bummer about the motor and I know what you mean about people being less that truthful. I know all about buyer beware but he had to know that motor was not running right!
Wayne

Man, that sucks! It's going to be a nice car when done though!

It makes me sick to hear something like this! Im hoping im not in the same boat with a BB i have hear, really sucks and hope you can find a good block somewhere to do this up right, Cant stand someone who deliberately screws someone! Good luck!:angry1:

That really sucks with your motor. Looks like he tried to beat it out with a hammer or something when he broke it, then put everything back together to make it look good.

Nice ride, should be a great car when it's done.

Damn man that ain't just a little broke. Sorry to hear this update but it's good excuse to stroke a 400 maybe ?

I like the way you think Tallhair . . . LMAO . . . best way to fix "just a little broke" . . .

The push rods aren't bent too much, if you squint and hold your head in the right position . . . uh, scratch that . . . they're bent ! ! ! ( sigh )

I like the way you think Tallhair . . . LMAO . . . best way to fix "just a little broke" . . .

The push rods aren't bent too much, if you squint and hold your head in the right position . . . uh, scratch that . . . they're bent ! ! ! ( sigh )

:eek:ccasion14:

Well I got the motor out tonight and found more damage. Just thought I would post up some other pictures. Looks like to me the lifters are rusty so the valves were probably stuck and caused them to hit the piston or something to that effect. Mn this sucks.
Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 253
And the seller told you it ran? I would be just a little pi$$ed with him. You should show him the damage and ask if we are talking about the same motor.

Man....that sucks.

I feel so lucky about the 383 commando Fury III convertible I have been tooling around in. it needed nearly everything mechanically after sitting for 20 years, there was a bent pushrod in #7 because of a stuck valve. got it unstuck, new pushrod and lifters, and she just purrs. It doesn't even smoke, just runs...

https://plus.google.com/photos/1116...s/5946471325116572529?authkey=CO-i39SVx-_bsgE

sjd

With all that "sludge" inside, I'm surprised if the motor even turned over.

And the seller told you it ran? I would be just a little pi$$ed with him. You should show him the damage and ask if we are talking about the same motor.

Yes he told me the motor ran, but had clutch issues. The clutch issue was a 11" clutch disc in a 10.5" pressure plate. I have sent him all the pictures, but he said the guy he bought it from must have lied to him about the motor. That is also a lie as some one put new plugs, wires on to get it running and the two bad cylinders spark plugs are beat to death. You can also tell by the exhaust manifold paint that it did not run long at all. My guess is stuck lifter / valves and once it started it blew up. I am sure he will not do anything about it as He still owes me a piece of 4 speed console trim that I have never seen and I have had the car since April of this year. Guess that is why you need to look in to anything you buy as soon as you get it and not let it set.
Matt

- - - Updated - - -

With all that "sludge" inside, I'm surprised if the motor even turned over.

It did turn. , but I only tried it with a socket. I never had a battery in it. If the busted piston got to the bottom it would look in that spot. Once I questioned the guy about the motor being junk, he said well I did take the valve covers off and turn it over with the starter to see what was wrong and the valve train seem to move as it should.
No way that this turned with the starter and not make a heck of a lot of noise and beating around. So as I I said he knew it and lied about it. Plan and simple.
Matt

That is a shame! I have been had by some of the a$$es in the hobby too! After you sort out what you can reuse in that motor, return the rest to his front yard!

Still an awesome bee, at least once you get it together you will know what you really have.

Goodluck,

Mark

I've got some 383s, 400s, and a 413 up here. Drive up help me pull them out and get them sorted an organized and you can have one. It would be a core for rebuild.

Look at it on the bright side you still have a great car that's gonna be awesome. Engines are easy to replace not that you wanted to but still a great car and great scenery you have down there.

attachment.jpg

Man I got to so that Is a very Good offer. Either way I appreciate the offer to do that and I would love to come up and hang out and pull a few motors. I have already found a replacement E383 HP 69 model engine from a RM21 roadrunner. BTW you are also correct about another thing. It is a good car to restore and I should try to look at the positives and not the negatives. I have had and have a lot of blessings in my life if its nothing more that looking out my front porch.
Thanks again, Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back