• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My slot car track worked

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
So I went to a local cruise night yesterday. I set up the HO slotcar track thats in the back of my 65 Belvedere wagon. Wouldn't you know it. A couple of kids put their phones down and started racing. Big smile on his face he says that was so cool. After that a few of my buddies came over and we all raced. Everyone had smiles on their faces.
1719666196854.png

1719666214081.png

Very cool! And a nice layout!
Did any real car guy, NOT race slot cars as a kid?
All these guys saying that they had them as kids. One guys wife took over and had cars flying all over the place.

We had a slot car emporium a couple blocks from my house with full size tracks for 1/24 and 1/32 cars. Track rental time was reasonable. (50cents/hr, if I remember right).
And I had an HO track the width of the back wall of my parents two car garage. 20 ft straightaway, and a winding road to get back.

That's really cool!
It looks like a quality track too, I bet it is a blast!

Anyone else get the lighter fluid and do fire burnouts ?

Timmayy, curious how are you powering that thing?

Very cool...
We had a slot car emporium a couple blocks from my house with full size tracks for 1/24 and 1/32 cars. Track rental time was reasonable. (50cents/hr, if I remember right).
And I had an HO track the width of the back wall of my parents two car garage. 20 ft straightaway, and a winding road to get back.
We had Busy Bees in Concord Ca. had huge tracks,
1 real big one, right in the center of the store
like 15 turns, rises & drop offs, hairpins, loops, 1 really long straightaway,
after banked corners after the bigger straights
(lots of wrecks at the end of it) like 8+ (?) lanes wide IIRC
had several different scales too 1:18 (1:16) & 1:24 (or 1:25) cars
even a scale dragstrip,
I had a 1/4" plywood/garage box, burned with a torch/sanded & stained
it was like 18"wide x24" tall x12" deep
big open full front door, like a ramp, it had drawers for storage/parts
my stepdad Bob made for me, I was decked out & ready to party/race
it has spots for & carried like 4-5 cars
& all the spares...
I had chassis he soldered up out of welding/brass rod,
trick rewound motors & brushes :blah:
really thin/paper tin, light weight bodies
(my favorite was a 33-34 Ford or 40-41 Willys gasser & a 65-66 GT40 road car)
we'd/I'd try custom paint them, even a parachute
that got destroyed easily, when they fly off/crashed
They sold stuff too, cars, parts, wheels, tires, controllers, motors, axles
even custom tracks or track pieces for sale, & consignments etc.
the 1:32, 1:43, HO's & the smaller scale cars, all came a lot later...
It had to be like 1966-71-ish when I was doing it...

It became IIRC 'Service Center'
well known Aftermarket Performance Parts, when it was bought out...

Last edited:
Even set up a 'drag strip' in the hallway of our house with a pillow at the end to catch the cars at the end. Used powder to slow them down a bit to make it more interesting and it showed great tire tracks lol

As a young teeenager I got into slot car racing also. Built my own car chassis out of brass welding rods and sheet. My grandfather taught me how to solder.

A few friends and I were members of the local club. The city had a track layout in an old retail shop (upstairs) and it was a big deal back then.

Lots of fun, but then the club shut down and the fun kind of went away when real cars came along. My brother and I had a small battery powered Hi-Rev set as kids....lots of fun racing. When my boys were quite young, I bought them a small slot car set - movie themed 'Cars' set with Doc Hudson and Lightning McQueen for cars. Hours of fun.

Oh you actually had it in the wagon? That's double cool!

We always had 'HO' scale Tyco and Aurora sets as kids but the 'big time' was going to the bigger-scale tracks. There was a great one just off the Pismo pier, upstairs....I can still remember the surfer dudes hanging there and saying "dude...that Volkswagen hauls ***..." My stepdad had a little VW bug that he put together and painted and it ran circles around everyone.
We had several track places around here until maybe the mid-90s or so, then it died....too bad. That was a good damn time.

Showing my age-

"TCR" era, when you could change lanes.

Showing my age-

"TCR" era, when you could change lanes.
My older brother had a set like that. I tried to set it up but we never had a perm. place for it because of how many kids were in the family on the old farm.
By the time the youngest brother messed with it there were parts missing and the cars were ragged. I really, really wish I had kept what remained as no one wanted it when we were cleaning out the old house. Not sure what I was thinking, it went off to donation at the church thrift store.

My older brother had a set like that. I tried to set it up but we never had a perm. place for it because of how many kids were in the family on the old farm.
By the time the youngest brother messed with it there were parts missing and the cars were ragged. I really, really wish I had kept what remained as no one wanted it when we were cleaning out the old house. Not sure what I was thinking, it went off to donation at the church thrift store.
I haven't seen them in a long time.... but I think my old HO set might still be in a box somewhere in the garage where it used to be set up. I might run across it when we finally get the house and garage cleaned out, so I can sell the house.

I thought the engineering was genius and wondered why it took them so long to figure that out.

So I went to a local cruise night yesterday. I set up the HO slotcar track thats in the back of my 65 Belvedere wagon. Wouldn't you know it. A couple of kids put their phones down and started racing. Big smile on his face he says that was so cool. After that a few of my buddies came over and we all raced. Everyone had smiles on their faces.
View attachment 1686290

View attachment 1686291

Auto Transport Service
Back