• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My very own barn find! Seeing light for the first time in 44 years.

Magnum XE

Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
I purchased the 1978 Magnum brand new in 1978. I drove the car for 1 year and a few months. In 1980 I got into the automobile industry at a Chrysler dealership and got a demo to drive. My car was parked in my parents' garage, ran the car empty and it's been sitting there since until a few days ago. My car has approximately 20,000 original kilometers which is about 12,000 miles. Unfortunately I neglected the car and never started it up the brakes got all seized up and now it's time to do a little work and get it back on the road. Looking forward to chatting with a few people on this wonderful forum and getting some tips and information on obtaining some parts for my car as I also find it very difficult to find stuff for 78 bodies online most of the parts are for 74s. Here is a few photos of my car.

20240731_191528.jpg

20240731_191445.jpg

20240701_173809.jpg

20240701_173852.jpg

20240701_164953.jpg

20240701_164930.jpg

20240701_165023.jpg

Welcome from CT. As long as you had anti freeze. My car engine wasn't lucky, the previous owner didn't take care. $$$$.See those red lines.
HEMI BLOCK2.jpg

Welcome to the site!! I've had one late model B and like them!

Allowing you to store in their garage since '80?! Best parents ever!

Welcome from S Carolina. Love the red interior and DAM those are some big a$$ bumpers. :lol:

Working at the Dodge dealership in '78 I remember a father and daughter both bought new '78 Magnums. After a couple of months the father brought his in and complained that his wasn't getting the gas mileage that his daughter was getting with hers. So I did a little fine tuning and sent him on his way. A month later he came back in and stated it was running great but his milage hadn't changed, still worse than his daughters. So I told him to swap cars with his daughter and see what happens. I was afraid I was going to insult him but he didn't say anything but he'd give it a try. Some time later he came in for service and I asked him about the gas mileage. He quietly said his daughter got better gas mileage with his car than with hers. Funny stuff!

Working at the Dodge dealership in '78 I remember a father and daughter both bought new '78 Magnums. After a couple of months the father brought his in and complained that his wasn't getting the gas mileage that his daughter was getting with hers. So I did a little fine tuning and sent him on his way. A month later he came back in and stated it was running great but his milage hadn't changed, still worse than his daughters. So I told him to swap cars with his daughter and see what happens. I was afraid I was going to insult him but he didn't say anything but he'd give it a try. Some time later he came in for service and I asked him about the gas mileage. He quietly said his daughter got better gas mileage with his car than with hers. Funny stuff!
:rofl:

Welcome to FBBO from near St. Thomas, Ontario. That looks like quite the time capsule you unearthed there. Good luck with turning back the hands of time. I hope the engine is not stuck. My friend, Bob, still has his 1976 Charger Daytona that he bought new. He gets it out for the odd car show and cruise. It has about 20,000 miles on it.

P6110157.JPG

Wow, who buys a new car, drives it a year then abandons it?
I don't live in that world, man... :lol:

newwelcome.jpg

Welcome, good thing your car was in a garage and on concrete. Looks like the critters didn't attack it. Several things to check before you go cruising, reckon you are versed on what to look for.

I purchased the 1978 Magnum brand new in 1978. I drove the car for 1 year and a few months. In 1980 I got into the automobile industry at a Chrysler dealership and got a demo to drive. My car was parked in my parents' garage, ran the car empty and it's been sitting there since until a few days ago. My car has approximately 20,000 original kilometers which is about 12,000 miles. Unfortunately I neglected the car and never started it up the brakes got all seized up and now it's time to do a little work and get it back on the road. Looking forward to chatting with a few people on this wonderful forum and getting some tips and information on obtaining some parts for my car as I also find it very difficult to find stuff for 78 bodies online most of the parts are for 74s. Here is a few photos of my car.

View attachment 1705684

View attachment 1705685

View attachment 1705686

View attachment 1705687

View attachment 1705688

View attachment 1705689

View attachment 1705690
IMG_4630.gif
IMG_4629.gif
IMG_4626.gif
IMG_4625.gif
IMG_4624.gif