• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 440 build issues

Last set we bushed was $180. Probably more now.
It is nice, but optional. By the time you resize rods, bush them and do arp bolts, the price is close to an aftermarket H beam.

Last edited:
Ya...come this far. What the heck..this way I can fit pistons and check valve clearance before balancing.

I'm hoping if want bored and only honed, they paid attention to out of roundness..even I with little experience know that one...lol

You better verify that the OE rods will fit into the Weisco piston. I have had at least 2 customers need to get Eagle rods as the pistons they purchased were too narrow between the pin bosses for the stock rods. Sometimes the top pad on the rod above the pin end will hit the underside of the piston too. You can machine the rods, but might spend as much as a nice set of aftermarket rods, and likely with bushed pins to boot...

Good point...according to summit and wiseco said this.

Screenshot_20240705_141845.jpg

I'm so deep in this now, I hate to buy new rods. Maybe I'll just go back to speed pro 2355 and .060 head gaskets?

I'm at .140 in the hole now. L2355f will be .135 taller then what I have now. So .005 below deck makes my 10.17 CR with .039 gaskets.
Have to balance anyway so maybe that's the best option?

Or else buy new rods. Getting up there now. Especially with all the BS I've gone through. If I knew the block was punched, maybe. But may just be refreshed with a .030 from the past. I'll dial bore it tomorrow and check for clearances..

Imho..I wouldn't bush stock rods for this. Switch pistons and be done. Spend your money else where.

We have these same wiseco's pistons on stock rods with no modifications, except balancing. I am sure there are pistons as 69bee mentioned, but I don't believe that is case here. These pistons are not race they are marketed as pro tru street.

Just because a piston says it is free floating does NOT mean you have to use it that way. However, full floating rods can NOT use a stock piston that has no keeper to keep the wrist pin in.

The wiseco's have a narrower ring and modern lightweight design with bigger valve pocket then a 2355. 2355 has 4 valve pockets instead of 2 which adds 3 cc. Wiseco are also more money, but a upgrade.
Either piston will work on a stock rod. The wiseco must be balanced. Speed pro 2355 is closer to stock in design and weight. But, balancing is also a good idea IF the place that balances is trustworthy.

Actually he just got back to me. Block was punched new and decked.
So he's got a set for roughly 1/2 price. Just waiting to confirm.
Think I'll do it and stay with the wisecos over the 2355f's. 1 pt more CR but better product. Otherwise like you said stick with the 2355's and call it a.day.

K...Here's where we're at.
Unless I spend $1000 for new rods, I can press on LY rods on 2355f's. With the new alum heads will be at the following. Am I going to have a problem?

Screenshot_20240707_211704_Samsung Internet.jpg

The rods were the wrong ones. So ya...spend for new rods, or use .039 gaskets high CR, or fork out for .051 or .060 gaskets an additional $300 plus balancing?

Buy new H beam rods!!! It is a no brainer!!! Stronger steel. By the time you re-con factory rods, you spend almost as much on new rods.....& they are still weaker......in three critical areas:
- stock uses 3/8" bolt, H beam uses 7/16".
- factory rods have a scallop for the bolt head in a heavily stressed part of the rod. H beams do not have this.
- the metal is HARD. For the last 30 yrs, I have ground oil reliefs in the rod cheeks. My grinder finds it tough grinding the H beam material.

It’s +4 cc, not -4 cc. 10.5:1 CR.

It’s +4 cc, not -4 cc. 10.5:1 CR.

And, I thought those pistons actually had more like 6cc for the 4 valve pockets. Could be my failing memory, or maybe they changed.

Anyone measure them recently?

The rods were the wrong ones. So ya...spend for new rods, or use .039 gaskets high CR, or fork out for .051 or .060 gaskets an additional $300 plus balancing?
What makes you think they are the wrong rods? Did you read post 270? I am driving a 440 today with those wiseco pistons on press fit LY rods. Certainly, H beams are far superior and a nice upgrade over an LY. But a mild engine w 703 voodoo cam...LY is plenty strong, this is not a race engine.

also you are not using the right ch for the wiseco's.
The wiseco piston are 2.05 ch and are .016 down not .005.
They are 10.2:1
4 cc valve pocket

A 2355 is .005 down. 10.16:1.
7 cc valve pocket

Last edited:
What makes you think they are the wrong rods? Did you read post 270? I am driving a 440 today with those wiseco pistons on press fit LY rods. Certainly, H beams are far superior and a nice upgrade over an LY. But a mild engine w 703 voodoo cam...LY is plenty strong, this is not a race engine.

also you are not using the right ch for the wiseco's.
The wiseco piston are 2.05 ch and are .011 down not .005.
They are 10.31:1
4 cc valve pocket

A 2355 is .005 down. 10.16:1.
7 cc valve pocket
Yes you're right. I was hoping to have them floating, but ya LY will work.
Block was decked .015,.so I get math as follows based on what I have now with 2388's

I'm .140 in the hole now.
So:
2388 CH - 1.926 = .140 in hole
Wiseco - 2.050 = .126 taller
.140 - .126 = 0.15 - .016 in the hole approx
Approx 11.02 CR with LY pressed on.

Yes you're right. I was hoping to have them floating, but ya LY will work.
Block was decked .015,.so I get math as follows based on what I have now with 2388's

I'm .140 in the hole now.
So:
2388 CH - 1.926 = .140 in hole
Wiseco - 2.050 = .126 taller
.140 - .126 = 0.15 - .016 in the hole approx
Approx 11.02 CR with LY pressed on.

Your math is still wrong

Auto Transport Service
Back