• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 440 build issues

What brand?
Is it a optical illusion In the picture? Is the roller tip shorter then the sides of the rocker at the valve?

Regardless they need to be centered with the right side clearance. Not runnable as is.

Last edited:
How did I know you would say that..lol.
I believe speedmaster. No but close. I'll try and get better pic.

But back to original 440. Waiting for rods, re degreed 3x last night and looks like I'm 2° advanced. Considering what you said about chain stretch etc, I'll roll with it. Be like a jack rabbit out the hole for a while..
So second guessing myself decided to make sure my rockers are all good. And found this. Not as bad as the 2nd 440 previous, but should I roll or start grinding the bolt tower mounts and shimming?

20240630_160425.jpg

20240630_160436.jpg

20240630_160608.jpg

20240630_160617.jpg

3rd pic from top. You need to grind a little off the bolt washer to centre the roller on the valve tip. Stamped factory rockers had a very wide contact pad that allowed for variations; not so with roller tip rockers.

Crane cams claims a cam has to be moved 4* before the butt-meter will tell the difference. Faaaaaaaar too much sleep is lost about where exactly the cam should be installed....because you won't notice it.

3rd pic from top. You need to grind a little off the bolt washer to centre the roller on the valve tip. Stamped factory rockers had a very wide contact pad that allowed for variations; not so with roller tip rockers.
Did that. Not enough before hitting bolt tower. Either I go stock stamped or die grind some material off tower. Not sure what I'm gonna do.
As the cam crazy, am thinking just run stock rockers.

Crane cams claims a cam has to be moved 4* before the butt-meter will tell the difference. Faaaaaaaar too much sleep is lost about where exactly the cam should be installed....because you won't notice it.
Well as yellow71 said with chain stretch, am.just gonna run it. It'll settle down in short order anyway. So just to deal with rocker issue and breakin.

Especially considering that, generally speaking, the hobbyist never really tunes their cars for performance, or ever intends to change/adjust cam time to improve performance or learn something.

And, as you implied in an earlier post that folks don’t seem to understand that the manufacturers recommended ICL is simply that, a recommendation. Folks act a if it is a right or wrong thing verses simply a reasonable starting point.

I would grind the bolt tower....certainly NOT the rocker. While the stock rockers are plenty strong, their actual ratio is usually less than 1.5.

Actually the builder is going to help out. He's buying back the heads and I'll upgrade to aluminum. That'll solve the problem and get me a bit more CR too. Stay tuned

You might be the only one ever to get 170 psi compression test w a 2388 low compression piston!

Only had to advance the cam 43 degrees!
Who'd a guessed?

Haha..right? That was with rockers off. Was checking more for bent valves.

What an unfortunate piston. For almost zero dollars more, the builder could have put in 2266 or 2355 pistons.

Hello all. Just an update. So don't make the same mistake.
New Wisecos enroute. Have to get my rods machined and bushed as these are floating. Once I check clearances and check valve clearance, I'll send to machine shop here for balancing. Building the run stand in the meantime.
After all this I should be ready to go.

You don't need to Bush the rods for those pistons.
Yes.. wisecos can be used on a free floating rod they have the grooves for the round snap ring. But if you run a press fit rod the pin is held in place by the rod. Free floating is nice..but optional.
We have the very same wiseco's..w stock press fit Ly rods.

Well how much can it be to Bush them? Nice option to use? No?

Auto Transport Service
Back