• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jeep

tlt23

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Any good or bad news on the Jeep diesel wrangler (4 Door)

I can only find stuff on car and driver. They are so few and far between to find i am looking for real world information.

my wifes highlander hybrid is acting up. Talked to the Jeep dealer and might order a 21 leftover. the dealer said that every option will be an added price next year because of the chip shortage. Also they are going back to manual windows and stuff. Is that true?

Thanks all

I just bought a ‘21. Not a diesel, though. The demand is so high that you really have to search to find what you want up here. No ‘22’s to be found, let alone a diesel.
They offer a turbo four that I didn’t want so I had to look harder to find a V6 that I bought. Could only get power locks and windows which I did not want.
Otherwise I really like it. It replaces a ‘08 that I pretty much used up but is still going strong as my best friends granddaughters daily driver.

I was told to just go in and order a left over (they are still producing 21s) and i can get the last of the assembly line with all the options I want. If im doing that and spending that money should I just buy a hellcat? lol

i have a 2021 Gladiator, so far i love it, this is my 3 rd jeep. Like you, the 4cy turbo diesel kinda scared me, so i went with the v-6

I was told to just go in and order a left over (they are still producing 21s) and i can get the last of the assembly line with all the options I want. If im doing that and spending that money should I just buy a hellcat? lol

You could ...but it won't have the same off-road capabilities...:poke:

I have a '14 Grand Cherokee Summit with the EcoDiesel. Sitting outside right now with a hair over 85k miles on it.

LoveloveloveLOVE it.

Couple warranty issues but nothing that Ma Mopar hasn't taken care of (at least, as quickly as parts are available). Most of the diesel issues center around leaking EGR coolers, but caught early enough they don't disable the vehicle so it is still usable while parts are on order. I've also had to replace 2 front hubs and a steering rack (noisy, and leaking - not unusual Grand Cherokee WK2 issues)...but that, and 2 EGR cooler replacements, are the sum total of my warranty experience with this Jeep (aside from the emissions flash debacle). They issued an EGR recall right after my last replacement, so I'm waiting to see when/if this one starts leaking before I go putting a(nother) new one in, especially since my last replacement IS the recall kit, anyway. It's just another freebie in the bank!

I don't plug in the block heater, even in single digit temps. It starts and runs fine.
I don't add any snake oil to the diesel fuel, even in silly-cold weather. No gel problems. Starts and runs fine.
I use pump DEF from the truck stop - significantly cheaper than store-bought, works fine, I fill the tank (literally) once a year.
I change the oil once every 10k miles. Zero issues, zero consumption, factory interval.
I change fuel filters every 15k miles. Zero issues.
I keep it BONE STOCK. Stock exhaust. Stock filters. Stock emissions.
I average (in ***-cold winter weather like now) 24mpg winter time, 27mpg summer commuting (local/mountain driving). Highway, like driving from MD to FL? 32mpg, all day long. 5500 lbs, all wheel drive, luxury SUV.
Revs like a gasser. Accelerates like a gasser. Torque for DAYS (stock in my '14 is 240hp/420tq; the new ones are stepped up even more than that). Clean. Quiet. Efficient. Durable. LOVE IT.

People will give you a hard time about "diesel prices" - screw 'em. No tuneups. No spark plugs. Dollars a gallon may be higher, but...dollars per mile? MUCH cheaper overall.

My debate is honestly whether or not I'll ever mess with it. My work truck is my '01 Cummins Ram 2500, 24v, 6 speed stick, 4x4. Edge Comp box, open air intake, Banks 4" turbo-back exhaust, upgraded manual lift pump, boost/EGT/fuel pressure gauges, and a South Bend clutch. 289k miles; I replaced the clutch at 250k. Boost is cranked up, turbo spools fast, it puts plenty of power to the wheels with the box on it....but I just don't feel the need to do that with the Jeep. More power is easy with a diesel...but I love the reliability on the Jeep and I just don't think I'm gonna mess with it. It doesn't need it. The Cummins is dead-nuts reliable too...but those ISBs are so under-stressed in the Dodge chassis to start with, it's only just starting to realize some of its potential in there. I need THAT one to be reliable, too - it's my business truck for my concert company, so it has to get to shows when I need it. And, it does - at 20mpg all day long with my concert rig on board. But the Jeep...it's just gonna stay stock, reliable, decently-fast, nice and quiet...and comfy.

I chuckled when I saw the first post
My wife has an 09 highlander hybrid with 200k miles and absolutely never one problem. She was worried it might start trouble soon so she found an 18 Jeep Moab with little miles and scooped it up.
We will give the hybrid to our oldest son for free to commute.

DAKO- yes it has all the capabilities. All the 4wheel and stuff.. Just $$$ that is all they need. lol

Triple Green-
That was/is exactly what I was looking for. I can't find the Cherokee with the Eco new. They stopped making them when all the diesel fiasco happened and haven't put it back in. Sooo, I am at a turning point of what to do.

Sloppy- that is exactly why we bought it, thought it would be trouble free, but it has been completely opposite. bunches of little problems, plus there is a weird thing about Japan/Hawaii and not being a mainland model. The nav system wont work in the mainland... sooo maybe that will be another reason to get rid of it for when I move to Wa in the next 6mo to yr.

Thank you all.

You're right about the nav thing. When my two youngest got posted to Kaneohe naturally their Ram trucks went with them and the nav didn't right work there.
They didn't care
Neither did I...:)

Still have mine.....she's 43.
image005-1.jpg

Never buy a ‘07 or later diesel! Always in the shop for emissions repair!

Gunner

That was what I built my 2006 Tj for. Nth Degree 6in long arm, tummy tucker, alloy axles, with 37's. As a stupid @$$ I thought a toy like that in hawaii was unpractical and sold it for a loss..... BIG LOSS... now thinking I am going after this new thing for my upcoming move.

CHrger 383- why not anything after 07.... I have a 16 cummins 2500. Never been in the shop. I did use calibrated solutions and reprogram it. never has any emissions issues. Love my diesel....

Still have mine too
She's 45
Goes in this coming Monday for the golden eagle decals. Then it will be as I bought it, same wheels and all. I did re-tub it and a new windshield frame,everything else is original

20211120_104804.jpg 20211120_104826.jpg

Nice 5.
Mines a Golden Eagle also. Dropped in a
360 to replace the 304 @ 145,000. Raised
two kids with it as it was my daily driver.
I had to let this one go to help finance my
current project.
Image03082014111221.jpg

Same deal with me i had it before I got married, daily drive, raised 3 sons drove them around in it, parked it, almost scrapped it. Correctly listened to my wife and restored it
She's way smarter than me

Last weekend found my quadralift goes down a few inches over 20mph. My 21 Trailhawk gets its first repair now. Down a steep hill into a 90 degree departure. Got the back too.
4F60BD1B-FAE2-48A8-98AA-49B863998303.jpeg
08D30F57-8FA8-408D-8E9B-43B8443D8EF8.jpeg
08D30F57-8FA8-408D-8E9B-43B8443D8EF8.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back