• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original mufflers question for HP engines

If you think you have some right quarters under there, come on over to the early A body ranks. My exhaust guy whined and cried about how tight it was between the torsion bar and the frame on my 66 Cuda, and how hard it would be to get the pipe around that and the trans. All while he was doing it in front of me and it took him about 20 minutes to get the head pipes done.

You know that they can just put the in/out flanges on the mufflers onto a pipe expander and open the bell to 2.5”, right?

2.5 are the 21856 Cadillac ones someone posted before get your extensions 2.5 id x 2.5 od. sorry to many posts lost track what your doing thought you were going with a 2.5 H-pipe going down to a 2.25 muffler and 2.25 tail pipes. waldrons sells the whole kit for 750 shipped with mufflers.

I agree on the Cadillac mufflers.
Remember a Cadillac 472 had SINGLE exhaust.

Way, WAY back when, the famous "Silver Bullet" used four Cadillac mufflers
I don't remember if series or parallel.

Way, WAY back when, the famous "Silver Bullet" used four Cadillac mufflers
I don't remember if series or parallel.
2 in parallel on each side.

I had one on my 77 fury 360 with single exhaust it was quiet and made good power.

the point was if you want quiet the quiet flow ss mufflers are quiet plus flow a little better than stock. then there was talk about more flow with the dynomax super turbo. I said if you want more flow then the quiet flow than go with the borla because they flow better then the dynomax plus no drone and a better sound without being too loud. the ultraflos are crazy loud. read my first post #16

That is the first and only reference I’ve ever seen to borla making a quiet muffler. Literally they are never in the conversation for quiet. They might be to you.

My personal theory for a quiet exhaust with good power output:
1. The proper size tubing all thru the muffler for the application (my opinion in this case, 2.5) . No necking down to a smaller size inside the case.
2. The biggest, longest case that will fit under the car.
3. If power is more important, a straight thru muffler ( dynomax ultraflow, or similar)
4. If quiet is more important, a triple pass. (Turbo, tho they are too short, hemi, or caddy muffler) Flowmaster, if you like that sound, but at least three chambers!

That is the first and only reference I’ve ever seen to borla making a quiet muffler. Literally they are never in the conversation for quiet. They might be to you.
I don't know what your point is. never said they were quiet. what mufflers are you running ?

Point is the rest of us are having a different discussion than what you are.
read post 16, 48, 58. you brought up the turbo dynomax that you said drone and need an extra cost resonator that some cars have no room for. they are not a stock type muffler and much louder than a stock muffler and get louder with age. the point is the dynomax are not a stock type muffler they are a turbo muffler.

Last edited:
Got under the car yesterday and wire brushed some of the crud off the rear pipes and that exposed holes thru the pipe. They are toast. So new system is in order. Just one more question, which may raise a can of worms but here goes. What is the actual benefit of the H pipe? Mopar big blocks got them but not the 383 and below. At least from the factory. Is there any real benefit to them in a 383?

Got under the car yesterday and wire brushed some of the crud off the rear pipes and that exposed holes thru the pipe. They are toast. So new system is in order. Just one more question, which may raise a can of worms but here goes. What is the actual benefit of the H pipe? Mopar big blocks got them but not the 383 and below. At least from the factory. Is there any real benefit to them in a 383?
maybe a couple HP and a little quieter sound. I would rather have a x-pipe that adds a little more HP then the h-pipe and a lot nicer sound. not sure what mufflers classic exhaust uses but you can delete them and reduce the price. they will build the pipes for the muffler length you tell them. I have their tails pipes for my 67 RT I have not put them on yet but they look good I had them in about 2-weeks.

20241015_133810.jpg

I must have given the right answer for the h-pipe nobody said anything ? or maybe this was a private conversation and I should have not posted here ?

Over the years I have heard various reasons for the H pipe but the one that makes most sense to me is that the factory did not install them until the RB block came along. A balanced exhaust system seems to make sense too but why I do not know. I believe you are correct. Small increase in HP and maybe there is a better tone to it.

In addition to a few extra HP, an H pipe mellows out the exhaust tone, but the difference on a stock engine with relatively quiet mufflers is minor.

Auto Transport Service
Back