• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

Cool list.
Two things I noticed:
1) A 440 Cuda ran 14.01. Pretty darn close to 13's!
2) A rambler 390 ran 14.2. That would have put it fifth in this whole list of cars. Not too bad!

My father-in-law had been building high performance engines for almost 60 years - he owns a speed shop. Anyway, he said that the machining work on AMCs was by far the best of any American manufacturer.

I still have a copy of the Car Life road test of the '68 GTX 440 (done in tandem with a Hemi convertible for comparison.) The Car Life test car was equipped with factory air conditioning, power steering, and power brakes. Baby Blue had no power options, and ran consistent 14.2 times at Capitol Raceway back in the day. Seems consistent with the Car Life numbers.

1701569676523.png

Cool list.
Two things I noticed:
2) A rambler 390 ran 14.2. That would have put it fifth in this whole list of cars. Not too bad!

My father-in-law had been building high performance engines for almost 60 years - he owns a speed shop. Anyway, he said that the machining work on AMCs was by far the best of any American manufacturer.
The two Hemi Charger 500 cars had the fastest top speed,except for the 427 Corvette,which is a sports car,not a Muscle car. Even the Cobra KR wasn't as fast on top end. This list shows the real world numbers these cars ran,not the 11 and 12 second times shown in the current pure stock drag races,where the cars are obviously seriously worked over. The modern numbers show what the cars are capable of with a workover,this list shows what the cars actually ran in stock,as delivered form.

I still have a copy of the Car Life road test of the '68 GTX 440 (done in tandem with a Hemi convertible for comparison.) The Car Life test car was equipped with factory air conditioning, power steering, and power brakes. Baby Blue had no power options, and ran consistent 14.2 times at Capitol Raceway back in the day. Seems consistent with the Car Life numbers.
My 1969 383 RamAir Super Bee ran some 14.2's at my home track at Sparta, Ontario. It had factory 3.91's and SureGrip. Mostly ran high 14.3's and 14.4's. My current 1967 Coronet R/T has run a 14.28 at the same track. It is completely stock with 440, automatic and 3.23 gears. Pretty much the same performance as my SuperBee.

RT drags.jpg

RT sparta Drags.jpg

Cool list.
Two things I noticed:

With that date, it was likely one of the M code A body 'cudas.

My 1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 notch ran a 14.25 at Cayuga. It had 50,000 original miles and was absolutely bone stock with 3.23 gears.

68 S.jpg

Not sure if you will be able to open these pictures from a magazine article on the car from Musclecar review.

Attachments

• BARRACUDA.pdf
    642 KB · Views: 72
  • BARRACUDA2.pdf
    625.8 KB · Views: 89
Files opened up O.K. for me, Dave. Very nice Barracuda!

Thanks Dave, that article was published in October of 1992, and the pictures were taken about a year earlier. 32 years ago, man am I old!

68 chrysler 300 375hp, stock everything 323s
14.80s.

Wish I could find my Luskville dragway slip from 1979/80 that I had in the Bee glove box for decades. I know she ran 99mph... with a 2:94 rear gear.

I think I remember that car. Was in Buffalo NY and ran at Niagara and Lancaster drag strips.
I am the current owner of that Road Runner. Have had it for over 30 years. Picture is around 1971. When I got it, the car was painted green and white and the original Hemi motor was gone. Car is restored back to the PP1 Red, Auto on the column, the Dana 60 w/4:10 that was used for racing is still in the car.

Photo1a.jpg

PC100284.JPG

I am the current owner of that Road Runner. Have had it for over 30 years. Picture is around 1971. When I got it, the car was painted green and white and the original Hemi motor was gone. Car is restored back to the PP1 Red, Auto on the column, the Dana 60 w/4:10 that was used for racing is still in the car.

View attachment 1568479

View attachment 1568480

A few more pics...

Photo2a.jpg

Jim's Car 021.jpg

8CB470F8-5429-4DBF-88E8-C762190CBD65.png

P1010310.JPG

View attachment 1568479

View attachment 1568480
I raced at Lancaster once, back in the early 80's. Kinda scary there racing at night, especially the return toad through the woods. You're lucky the car survived.

Auto Transport Service
Back