• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poly motor

chrisd

Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
A buddy of mine called me today while he was in a junkyard and described what sounds like a poly 318 engine. He didn't know the car (he's not a Mopar guy), but said the engine looked complete. I planned to go and check it out, but got stuck at work. Hopefully, I'll make it tomorrow. Question is, is the engine worth getting or getting parts from it? I don't have any plans for it, but if there are things on it (or the car) that are difficult to find, I wouldn't mind saving them before the crusher. Any opinions?

Not a high demand for Poly motors.I had one in a 66 Charger and it was the biggest turd ever....
Jim

Not a high demand for Poly motors.I had one in a 66 Charger and it was the biggest turd ever....
Jim

Well, hopefully I'll get off tomorrow and at least check out the car.

Single or dual four barrel intakes are hard to find. If it has one of those, might be worth grabbing and flipping it.

Finally made it to the car. It's a stripped down 4dr '65 A body. Barely enough left of the car to tell that. The motor was a complete weathered poly with a 2bl intake. Not much left there. If someone's in a bind for something, I could take another look.

Walk away. The rebuild market for poly's is miniscule at best. If it was an original motor staying in the original car, it might be worth rebuilding to keep it with the car, but other than that, it is worthless.

Finally made it to the car. It's a stripped down 4dr '65 A body. Barely enough left of the car to tell that. The motor was a complete weathered poly with a 2bl intake. Not much left there. If someone's in a bind for something, I could take another look.

A poly in a 65 A body??? If it is original it's 1 of 1!! Be a tight fit!! Probably a 273 LA or the car is a B body.

A poly in a 65 A body??? If it is original it's 1 of 1!! Be a tight fit!! Probably a 273 LA or the car is a B body.
I was thinking the same thing! I'm approaching 60 and have never seen a poly head engine in an A body....

The only thing of value is a 4bbl intake or dual otherwise people give them away. I do have a rebuilt one for my 65 coronet with a dual quad and an extra one rebuilt with a 4bbl intake.

OK, since I'm unfamiliar with '65 and back Dodge's, I believe I've figured out it's a '65 Coronet 4dr. (I think) Like I said there is alot gone. The front clip is gone and I don't remember any badges except the paint markings from the wrecking yard. However, with that said there may be something worth getting on the car. I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the factory a/c heating unit is under the dash. It did have at least one a/c vent on the bottom side of the dash on the driver's side.

Auto Transport Service
Back