• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post up facts and things that hardly anyone knows...... (for entertainment purposes only. NO need to fact check)

Speaking of our avian friends, birds pant with their mouths gaped open in hot weather to cool themselves.

"The avian respiratory system is the most efficient in the animal kingdom, which explains how birds get enough oxygen to power flight, even at high altitudes where oxygen is scarce. A key feature that makes avian respiration special is the fact that they have static lungs and breath unidirectionally by breathing with air sacs throughout their body instead of diaphragms common in other land animals.

When a bird draws in a breath of air, it travels through the nares (or nostrils) down the trachea into a series of posterior air sacs located in the thorax and rump—in their butts. When a bird exhales that same breath, it does not leave the body as it does with mammals but rather moves into the lung where oxygen is absorbed and carbon dioxide expelled. When a bird inhales for the second time, that same breath of air moves from the lungs into the anterior air sacs. The second and last exhalation is when the stale air leaves the bird’s body through the nares.

Every breath a bird takes requires two breathing cycles to complete a single breath, making the air passing through the lung unidirectional and always fresh and full of oxygen. Bird lungs are small and rigid, with the gas exchange region of their anatomy organized into a series of parallel tubes that bring deoxygenated blood into the lung at the opposite direction the air is flowing. This “counter-current” gas exchange is efficient and unique to bird lungs and partly enables species, such as the Bar-headed Goose (Anser indicus), to fly over the summit of Mt. Everest without issue. Human explorers, on the other hand, struggle for fresh air at 29,029 feet above sea level because mammalian lungs never expel all the stale air during exhalation, making mammalian explorers long for the ability to use their butts to breath continuous fresh air like the birds."

From the article Birds Breathe With Their Butts.

20240720_103740.jpg

From the highest point on land (29,032ft) to the lowest
point in the ocean (-36,037ft) is 65,069ft, or 12.33 miles
top to bottom.

I've tried it various times and I haven't seen a difference. {for the record, I did an empirical test just to prove my girlfriend wrong LOL}
Haha. The rules say no documentation required! That lets the Old Wives Tales come back to life. :rolleyes:

Hosting the 2006 World Cup caused Germany to experience baby boom. Nine months after the football competition, birthrate in Germany was up to 30% higher compared with the same period in the year before.

Hosting the 2006 World Cup caused Germany to experience baby boom. Nine months after the football competition, birthrate in Germany was up to 30% higher compared with the same period in the year before.
Funny because watching soccer only makes me want to change the channel.

Yup, way bigger nowadays....
View attachment 1705826View attachment 1705827View attachment 1705836

Go back to 1873. The SS Atlantic (420 feet long) was a ocean liner of the White Star Line, and second ship of the Oceanic-class. The ship operated between Liverpool, United Kingdom, and New York City, United States. During the ship's 19th voyage, on 1 April 1873, she struck rocks and sank off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada, killing at least 535 people.

Now for the mostly unknown:

Several newspapers reported that a body of one of the crew members was discovered to have been that of a woman disguised as a man. "She was about twenty or twenty-five years old and had served as a common sailor for three voyages, and her sex was never known until the body was washed ashore and prepared for burial. She is described as having been a great favorite with all her shipmates, and one of the crew, speaking of her, remarked: "I didn't know Bill was a woman. He used to take his grog as regular as any of us, and was always begging or stealing tobacco. He was a good fellow, though, and I am sorry he was a woman."

Go figure, this happened in 1873 mind you!!!

SS Atlantic (1870) - Wikipedia
Lots of women are pretty strong but they are not in the Olympics.......
And ya do, dontcha?? ASSHOLE lol

Yup!
Did you know alfalfa hay is not good for horses?
Cows can eat it without issue. Horses can eat some, but can develope issues if over consumed. Regular western sweet timothy grass is better for them.

Cows have 4 stomachs. Horses have 1.
Timothy hay is what prairie dogs like....
My ex wife ate as if she had four stomachs but she just had one the size of four human stomachs.
:rofl:
I've tried it various times and I haven't seen a difference. {for the record, I did an empirical test just to prove my girlfriend wrong LOL}

:rofl:

I agree. I don’t care to watch or play soccer, golf or bowling.
BORING.

Auto Transport Service
Back