• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ProForm Distributor Install With No Start!

67Survivor!

Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Installed the "Mopar ProForm" electronic ignition in the '67 GTX tonight. Took my time, ensured the ECU was grounded, all wire connections are correct and secure. Distributor is installed with correct orientation. Turned the key, NO START! Rechecked everything, verified spark plugs are firing. What am I missing?:thankyou:

Check pick up air gap, should be 0.008". Also check pick up coil resistance, should be 150-800 ohms.

If you have spark and fuel and air it should run. How did you verify spark? I'm guessing you installed the distributor wrong. It will still send a spark. Just not when it's supposed to.

If you have spark and fuel and air it should run. How did you verify spark? I'm guessing you installed the distributor wrong. It will still send a spark. Just not when it's supposed to.
If one distributor was removed and the other installed and the oil pump gear wasn't changed or moved the new distributor either goes in correctly or 180 degrees out. Even at 180 degrees out you will get a pop back through the carburetor or something to indicate the engine is firing.

If one distributor was removed and the other installed and the oil pump gear wasn't changed or moved the new distributor either goes in correctly or 180 degrees out. Even at 180 degrees out you will get a pop back through the carburetor or something to indicate the engine is firing.
Actually the distributor can be installed with the timing anywhere

Check the Bulkhead connector. Had something similar and for no reason what so ever one pin had come loose.
from memory its the middle plug set. also just replace same harness with a Evans wiring and when connecting some pins moved so always pays to check

Is the firing order correct? Did you wire the cap for counter-clockwise rotation (RB Engine)? I have wired for clockwise rotation more than once when tired.

Just how good of a reputation does Proform have? Yeah, not my first choice.

Got it running. It was a timing issue. Got a ProForm because it was within my budget. We'll see what happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back