• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question to you all.....

It seems to me, you hear " creek " in the south. And " crick " in the north, generallg speaking. But, "aks " is everywhere.

I have no room to talk or comment. Youz peeple wouldn't not unnerstan my Brooklyn accent. Fuggeddaboudit.

I was born in the midwest, grew up on the West Coast. I have family (white black and red) on both coasts the Midwest and Texas and they all sound different.

Whut ya'll askin us fer? Why not ask someone who's actually Black if you wanna know about Black accents...No Black B-Body owners here you can ask?

My Fathers side of the Family is from a small Island in Maryland...People talk really different there...My Mothers side are from the South and have harder accents than "They" do...I have an accent and use certain phrases because my parents spoke that way...As did my Grandparents...And all my Friends and Family.....Is there any other reason for an accent?

How my Grandparents spoke...

Sooooo...I pretty much only lurk here...But this little snippet of Racism triggered me a bit into leaving my first comment...
See I have a Black trainee...A young man who shows up every day for work and wants to be more than he is now...Who constantly thanks our boss for hiring him and who truly appreciates the training he's receiving...He's got long dreaded hair (which does worry me, as we work with some heavy equipment) and has "that" accent...We do Ironworking and heavy construction in case you're wondering...It's not an office job...He's helping build the world that We/You live in...As fast as he's learning he'll be running a crew himself within a year...He didn't know how to use a drill when he started...Six months later he knows how to use every power tool I own, weld, cut with a torch, follow assembly instructions and diagnose basic problems with high voltage motors and low voltage control wiring...I can send him out with a truck and parts and have him do certain jobs on his own...He was raised by a single mother without a solid father figure to show him anything...He's the same age as my oldest son and he tells me regularly he looks up to me like a Father and tells me how much he appreciates everything I've taught him...We've had honest discussions about Race and what it's like growing up without a Father...What it's like growing up as a little Black boy...
He and my son had the same toys...Liked the same Superheros...Played the same video games, read the same books.......

Anyway...Long story...He's a good man and when I see someone else stacking yet one more card in the deck against him over something so petty as an accent it disgusts me...I'd love to be able to sit a few of the sneaky racists I encounter down with him and let them talk to him for an hour...I bet at the end of that hour they'd regret a lot of the Racist crap they say and think..............If not then I wouldn't feel bad busting their lip...

Here's me and my 1st Charger BTW...

charger1.jpg

And here's my second...

0523161844b.jpg

Also...I know no one likes a New guy showing up spouting off about morality...Sorry...Kinda...

In St.Louis Hwy.Forty is pronounced Hwy.Farty

Whut ya'll askin us fer? Why not ask someone who's actually Black if you wanna know about Black accents...No Black B-Body owners here you can ask?

My Fathers side of the Family is from a small Island in Maryland...People talk really different there...My Mothers side are from the South and have harder accents than "They" do...I have an accent and use certain phrases because my parents spoke that way...As did my Grandparents...And all my Friends and Family.....Is there any other reason for an accent?

How my Grandparents spoke...

Sooooo...I pretty much only lurk here...But this little snippet of Racism triggered me a bit into leaving my first comment...
See I have a Black trainee...A young man who shows up every day for work and wants to be more than he is now...Who constantly thanks our boss for hiring him and who truly appreciates the training he's receiving...He's got long dreaded hair (which does worry me, as we work with some heavy equipment) and has "that" accent...We do Ironworking and heavy construction in case you're wondering...It's not an office job...He's helping build the world that We/You live in...As fast as he's learning he'll be running a crew himself within a year...He didn't know how to use a drill when he started...Six months later he knows how to use every power tool I own, weld, cut with a torch, follow assembly instructions and diagnose basic problems with high voltage motors and low voltage control wiring...I can send him out with a truck and parts and have him do certain jobs on his own...He was raised by a single mother without a solid father figure to show him anything...He's the same age as my oldest son and he tells me regularly he looks up to me like a Father and tells me how much he appreciates everything I've taught him...We've had honest discussions about Race and what it's like growing up without a Father...What it's like growing up as a little Black boy...
He and my son had the same toys...Liked the same Superheros...Played the same video games, read the same books.......

Anyway...Long story...He's a good man and when I see someone else stacking yet one more card in the deck against him over something so petty as an accent it disgusts me...I'd love to be able to sit a few of the sneaky racists I encounter down with him and let them talk to him for an hour...I bet at the end of that hour they'd regret a lot of the Racist crap they say and think..............If not then I wouldn't feel bad busting their lip...

Here's me and my 1st Charger BTW...

View attachment 629302

And here's my second...

View attachment 629306

Also...I know no one likes a New guy showing up spouting off about morality...Sorry...Kinda...

Well said sir!

From what I have heard back in slave times if the slaves spoke like their owners they would be ridiculed by their peers so they formed their own dialect.
By the way in St. Louis its Sant Loos, you warsh in the zink and higway farty/sixty far intersects with highway farty far.
Bellefontaine is Bellfountain.

And in the right spots in the midwest dudes maybe something else. And are crackers really crackers?
My info is that "Cracker" was a reference to slave owners that would "crack" the whip as a warning to their slaves to obey....or else.

There was a black woman on a YouTube video that discussed exactly what the OP mentioned.....She was embarrassed for her people and didn't understand the difficulty so many have with AXE/ASK.

Also. I've had it with ******** that cry RACIST any time they are called on bad behavior. It is a cheap shot and DEvalues a situation where it actually applies. Sometimes a person is an ignorant asshole and it has absolutely nothing to do with what they look like.

Last edited:
Imo , aks, is not a product of accent. Old style English may have a soft a. Southern draw may have a y sound in it. Those are examples of accent. Aks , is neither. It is only a mispronounced & spelled word.

I worked with a black guy that was a really great Carpenter Framer. He has 2 sons, both went to college and got degrees. (In what....I don't know) One son decided to work in construction but was not very well skilled. He talked like a hoodrat. I asked him one day...."Hey Eric, I'm curious about the way you speak. I would think that after $50,000 in college tuition, you'd speak different." He responded....."I likes to tokk street".
(I like to talk street)

Thumbs DOWN.JPG

I am sure we all have some word we pronounce wrong........I know I have a few, lol...

I worked with a black guy that was a really great Carpenter Framer. He has 2 sons, both went to college and got degrees. (In what....I don't know) One son decided to work in construction but was not very well skilled. He talked like a hoodrat. I asked him one day...."Hey Eric, I'm curious about the way you speak. I would think that after $50,000 in college tuition, you'd speak different." He responded....."I likes to tokk street".
(I like to talk street)

I'm sure it could also just be that particular individual.

We've been celebrating dumb white kids for years.

I'm sure it could also just be that particular individual.

We've been celebrating dumb white kids for years.

Dude, like Spicoli's on his own trip.lol. Did you notice, twice, Stu. said " let me ASK you a question" ?

I’m originally from Minnesota and even though I moved away 3+ decades ago people still frequently ask me where I’m from because I have an accent. Yah you betcha - boooaat - pop vs soda etc, etc. it’s kind of a Scandinavian thing. They made the movie Fargo in Minnesota and really over do the accent as they do in Grumpy Old Men and a few others that come to mind. I took offense to Fargo for some reason but didn’t really to the others. I don’t mind when people comment on my accent and sometimes joke about it. But I also wouldn’t expect that it be taught in the schools like the dialect I’m referring to for African Americans.

I think it’s mostly and inner city thing and a way to connect with students in that environment in SOME cities. I still think it’s appalling for it to become acceptable to speak, write, expect tests to be communicated in that street dialect. I flatly don’t agree with it. Our teachers and adults need to be preparing these and all kids for a successful life after school. I believe it’s being made more difficult for them by sanctioning street talk. My mother would correct us ANYTIME we used improper grammar or slang etc. I’m probably beyond the scope of what was asked here but it got me going too. Check it out bro!

Auto Transport Service
Back