• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question to you all.....

Why do a certain RACE in America, and yes, America only, pronounce the word ASK as AKS?

And yet, no one corrects them?

Dayz sazz "ax" or pass tense "axed" in podunk Toledo Ohio.

Liberal D) Easily Offened Snowflakes & my 1st Amendment.jpg

I have a dear friend who uses "seen" wrong all the time as in "I seen this guy walking down the street" we all know it should be "saw" said:
So.. if I looked at a guy lying on a table, would I say " I saw him on the table" ?

To me, poor speaking and poor grammar reflect on a person negatively. I am in no way an expert. I graduated High School and attended no college except for Carpenters apprenticeship.
I try to be clean and presentable when I expect to be around others. I keep my work area clean, wear deodorant and try to keep it all together. Why? Personal respect and pride, man!
I speak like I write, clear and to the point and with as few mistakes as possible. This is what I prefer when dealing with other people. Do your best. Don't be lazy. Show some self respect and speak with confidence.
I see poor writing here and elsewhere and often weigh the risks of calling the people out. Some are just lazy people and some do it so often I get the impression that they are just lacking a proper education. Some people are so damn cool, I would not risk to hurt their feelings by mentioning their errors. Then, there are the mistakes due to posting from "smart" phones with Autocorrect. In that case, it is up to the author to over-ride the phone. Mine changes MOPAR to MOLAR....as if my cars have teeth!

Denzel is a good as they get at his craft and is indeed a very wise man on top of it all. A true class act. I love his work and his views on things in general. Hope we have him public for many years to come.

If I can understand what they're saying, accent doesn't matter.

The way people pronounce words is no different than the way some people spell them. They're just wrong; I guess because they're ignorant. I've seen plenty of posts on this website where people have made comments about others spelling words wrong and then they get shot down about it for calling the person who spelled the word wrong out. And, to answer your question, you correct them and don't make the assumption that nobody else does.

To me, poor speaking and poor grammar reflect on a person negatively. I am in no way an expert. I graduated High School and attended no college except for Carpenters apprenticeship.
I try to be clean and presentable when I expect to be around others. I keep my work area clean, wear deodorant and try to keep it all together. Why? Personal respect and pride, man!
I speak like I write, clear and to the point and with as few mistakes as possible. This is what I prefer when dealing with other people. Do your best. Don't be lazy. Show some self respect and speak with confidence.
I see poor writing here and elsewhere and often weigh the risks of calling the people out. Some are just lazy people and some do it so often I get the impression that they are just lacking a proper education. Some people are so damn cool, I would not risk to hurt their feelings by mentioning their errors. Then, there are the mistakes due to posting from "smart" phones with Autocorrect. In that case, it is up to the author to over-ride the phone. Mine changes MOPAR to MOLAR....as if my cars have teeth!

Precisely!

Yet another post about the lack of grammar and being ignorant. Well news flash! You can be a English major and be a ignorant person or you can own a Chrysler product , frequent a car forum and feel the need to point out others lack of proper spelling and be ignorant.
I call it being impolite, a lack of common manners, could be a insecurity issue that prompts a person to comment on a lack of grammar skills of others in all places , a car forum. Maybe said accusers are thinking there **** doesn't stink and being above it all.
Then there is my favorite accusation, the spelling offender lacks pride in themselves. Ive heard that one a few times. As if some unknown knows there character, what that person does for there family, there standing in the community and work place. Its incredible or maybe just sad the things that get tossed about here.

So.. if I looked at a guy lying on a table, would I say " I saw him on the table" ?
It all depends on the tense. If it is past tense, then yes, you "saw a guy on the table", or you "saw a guy lying on a table". If it is current tense, then it would be "I see a guy on a table" or "I see a guy lying on a table". If "seen" is to be used to describe a guy lying on a table, it would be "I have seen a guy lying on a table".

Per http://proofreading.ie/portfolio/saw-or-seen/ this is the explanation:

EXPLANATION OF WORDS:

Saw
is the PAST TENSE of the verb see, and usually comes immediately after NOUNS and PRONOUNS.

Seen is the PAST PARTICIPLE of the VERB see.
Generally, seen is used alongside have, has, had, was or were in a sentence to make COMPOUND VERBS.

USAGE: saw : This word is a stand-alone VERB. It doesn’t need another VERB to prop it up.

Last edited:
The way people pronounce words is no different than the way some people spell them. They're just wrong; I guess because they're ignorant. I've seen plenty of posts on this website where people have made comments about others spelling words wrong and then they get shot down about it for calling the person who spelled the word wrong out. And, to answer your question, you correct them and don't make the assumption that nobody else does.
Don, I hear what you are saying, and my reply is my opinion and not intended to offend. As I previously mentioned, I choose NOT to call people out on this forum for misspellings or grammar issues when I see them because this is a public forum and I do not want to shame anyone or start a fight. If this were the English Spelling and Grammar forum, then maybe, but this is the B-Body forum, and we are all brothers and sisters in our love for MOPAR's. I would suggest this; if someone finds a spelling or grammar issue they feel the need to call out, do it via a PM to the "offender". I will add that many people that may make spelling and grammar mistakes are top notch mechanics, welders, body and paint men or women or the people who can build a car from the ground up who would give you the shirt off their back. I vote to let the little stuff slide or take it up in private.

Aw....I gotta (!) do it.....more than one MOPAR (MoPar?) is MOPARs, not MOPAR's.
Plural, not possessive.

Just messing with you.

Aw....I gotta (!) do it.....more than one MOPAR (MoPar?) is MOPARs, not MOPAR's.
Plural, not possessive.

Just messing with you.
No worries man! Like I said, I am not perfect, in fact, far from it! I enjoy hanging out with you guys and never take anything personally.

And then there's my favorite accent, "The Regular Guy"!

Dialects are not dummying down the populace. I dont know were the statement "The willful act to not conform'' comes into play but whatever floats your boat.

Uh,
Still just more Babble huh Steve?

Exactly what I said
A Dialect is a Dialect
The Willful act of mis-pronouncing a WORD such as ASK into AKS is another thing...

Because SFSI, They were NOT taught that in School.

Hmmm,
Just pull up a "search" on why Black people use the word "AKS"

Op-Ed
The 'ax' versus 'ask' question
Using 'ax' for 'ask' dates back to at least Chaucer, so why do we consider it illiterate today?
January 19, 2014|By John McWhorter

• Email

• 1553x2048.jpg
"Ax" is as integral a part of being a black American. (Edel Rodriguez / For TheTimes )
Few things stick out more in black American speech than the pronunciation of "ask" as "ax." And when I say that it "sticks out," I'm being polite.

Attitudes about Ebonics have evolved somewhat as hip hop has become America's favorite music. Even the strictest grammarian would have to agree that Kanye West's "Gold Digger" in standard English wouldn't be worth hearing. And Americans from Jesse Pinkman in "Breaking Bad" to Key and Peele get that it's OK to speak "hood" when you're among friends.

But "ax" is a special case. It's often the first thing even black people bring up as an example of bad grammar. Garrard McClendon, a black professor and talk show host, has titled a book "Aks or Ask: The African American Guide to Better English."

As a black linguist, I have come to expect that, during question sessions after any public talk I give on language, someone will ask: "What's with 'ax'?"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Aks
The /aks/ variable in AAVE is unique in that it is the only example of such a phonetic shift, and thus is unique to the word ... In the United States, the /aks/ variant is a particular feature of African American Vernacular English (AAVE). ... What retards say when they don't know how to pronounce the word ask. ... Short people; 14.

3. Simply put, just too many "examples"

It's a Black thing from what the internet states

For whatever reason, right or wrong, using "axe" in place of "ask" sounds ignorant to me. That said, I notice in reading and comparing my three dog breeds, that certain dog breeds are, without a doubt, more intelligent than others.

That said, the question comes to mind in some circles that some ethnic groups seem to be more ignorant or more intelligent than other ethnic groups. Could this really be the case? Who knows? Without testing everyone and interpreting the results (and assuming any one test would be accurate in the first place) nobody knows. But you have to admit it is an interesting question. Now personally, it seems to me that Asian people (I used to refer to them as "Oriental") are less ignorant than the rest of us ("us" meaning having European roots/ancestors). But that is not an opinion based on any facts/research/exams.

But back to my original hypothesis, certain dog breeds are much easier to train than others, and this has been attributed to differences in intelligence. I guess the only chance I have to answer that question definitely with respect to us humans is to ask someone in the know after my final demise and arrival at whatever awaits us on the other side.

And i repeat, for whatever reason, "axe" in place of "ask" would still sound ignorant to me no matter who said it.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back