• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question to you all.....

Sammich lol. Reminds me of an old friend and that's what she always said it. She was also a medical transcriptionist and electrolytes was speeeeled electric lights even after we all showed her the right way. And dang it all to heck, she be white! :D

Radiator? How do you pronounce it?
I say Ra-d-ator... My cousin from Colorado pronounces it Ray-d-ator
When my granddaughter was little she couldn't pronounce her R's, so a hamburger was ham-bo-ger and turkey was tow-key. That kid was and still is adorable.

In mu opinion, JUST not the same!
As cr8crsh put it:

1. It's the Bastardizing of the spoken and written English language.
2. It's the Dummying down of the populace.

The willful act to not conform.
Not an East Coast dialect that I STILL have

I was born and raised here in SoCal and never ran into the "ask vs. aks" pronunciation until I got to Basic Training at Ft. Polk, Louisiana.
The very first time I heard "aks" was from my Drill Sargeant - and I wasn't about to question anything he said!

What do you mean "can be"? They are the worst!
Chicagoese:
Tree= three
Boat= both
Da= the
There's tons of others, but I digress. Why do they call it the "liberry instead of library, and Po-lease for the cops, and then there's the am-bull-lance that take their shot up family members away? They just want to remain tribal and not/never leave the planation!
For fucks sake!! Thats how the Norwegians talk!!

I had a shop teacher, [white] in college that had a slight speech impediment. The 2 big ones I remember he said were quarger=quarter, and baddrey=battery. It cracked up the class when he talked about his quager beer night in class.

I was born and raised here in SoCal and never ran into the "ask vs. aks" pronunciation until I got to Basic Training at Ft. Polk, Louisiana.
The very first time I heard "aks" was from my Drill Sargeant - and I wasn't about to question anything he said!
Good call not to question!!!

I had a shop teacher, [white] in college that had a slight speech impediment. The 2 big ones I remember he said were quarger=quarter, and baddrey=battery. It cracked up the class when he talked about his quager beer night in class.
Have you been around any secind and 3rd generation Scandinavians? Have you been around 2nd and 3rd generation Germans? You need to travel to the upper midwest...way up there. Iron range and north in MN and northern WI. Go up into the UP of MI and listen to them talk. It is just a dialect not much different then the ghetto.

Now the **** they talk about is a whole other discussion...

In mu opinion, JUST not the same!
As cr8crsh put it:

1. It's the Bastardizing of the spoken and written English language.
2. It's the Dummying down of the populace.

The willful act to not conform.
Not an East Coast dialect that I STILL have
Dialects are not dummying down the populace. I dont know were the statement "The willful act to not conform'' comes into play but whatever floats your boat.

Whut ya'll askin us fer? Why not ask someone who's actually Black if you wanna know about Black accents...No Black B-Body owners here you can ask?

My Fathers side of the Family is from a small Island in Maryland...People talk really different there...My Mothers side are from the South and have harder accents than "They" do...I have an accent and use certain phrases because my parents spoke that way...As did my Grandparents...And all my Friends and Family.....Is there any other reason for an accent?

How my Grandparents spoke...

Sooooo...I pretty much only lurk here...But this little snippet of Racism triggered me a bit into leaving my first comment...
See I have a Black trainee...A young man who shows up every day for work and wants to be more than he is now...Who constantly thanks our boss for hiring him and who truly appreciates the training he's receiving...He's got long dreaded hair (which does worry me, as we work with some heavy equipment) and has "that" accent...We do Ironworking and heavy construction in case you're wondering...It's not an office job...He's helping build the world that We/You live in...As fast as he's learning he'll be running a crew himself within a year...He didn't know how to use a drill when he started...Six months later he knows how to use every power tool I own, weld, cut with a torch, follow assembly instructions and diagnose basic problems with high voltage motors and low voltage control wiring...I can send him out with a truck and parts and have him do certain jobs on his own...He was raised by a single mother without a solid father figure to show him anything...He's the same age as my oldest son and he tells me regularly he looks up to me like a Father and tells me how much he appreciates everything I've taught him...We've had honest discussions about Race and what it's like growing up without a Father...What it's like growing up as a little Black boy...
He and my son had the same toys...Liked the same Superheros...Played the same video games, read the same books.......

Anyway...Long story...He's a good man and when I see someone else stacking yet one more card in the deck against him over something so petty as an accent it disgusts me...I'd love to be able to sit a few of the sneaky racists I encounter down with him and let them talk to him for an hour...I bet at the end of that hour they'd regret a lot of the Racist crap they say and think..............If not then I wouldn't feel bad busting their lip...

Here's me and my 1st Charger BTW...

View attachment 629302

And here's my second...

View attachment 629306

Also...I know no one likes a New guy showing up spouting off about morality...Sorry...Kinda...

Are you talking about this white guy being racist?

For fucks sake!! Thats how the Norwegians talk!!
I didn't see any mention of pickled herrings. :lol:

Now this is Norwegian...
ShockMansion24.jpg

I grew up on the Nortern burbs of Chicaga. Misspellings intended for da accent.

Just paid my Sears mastercard bill, at Sears. The black cashier informed me twice that the terminal was going to ' aks" me questions
When done she bid me good bye with, " have a GOOT one". Though it was said in a friendly manner, i found it unprofessional.

I bin to da Dakoootas. Eh?
And today I learnt a haf a werd. Mutha.

Have you been around any secind and 3rd generation Scandinavians? Have you been around 2nd and 3rd generation Germans? You need to travel to the upper midwest...way up there. Iron range and north in MN and northern WI. Go up into the UP of MI and listen to them talk. It is just a dialect not much different then the ghetto.

Now the **** they talk about is a whole other discussion...
Yep I have and even spent more time then I would have liked up in Ya...Hey Der land. Too many O'lees, Sven's, Lina's to suit me. But it is more of the local when it comes to dialects and pronunciations. The main point from the OP is how illiterate people have become because they don't want to improve themselves using the verbal word and prose. They then wind up working in a menial job...can one say Mickey D's...and demand a so called living wage from those types of establishments and still talk like an ignoramus. Our education system as it stands now has completely done away from the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetic. The foundations of being a success later in life and that is my opinion only. But you seem to want to compare dialect with ghetto and there is no comparison. Dialect is regional where ghetto is slang. And you know what? It's every where one turns and that is just plan incomprehensible...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Sillycomb = Silicone
Hoe the Doe = Hold the door

Must be a yankee thing. The only time I've ever heard aks was on everybody loves Raymond show. I thought it was some sort of speech impediment such as when my sister could not pronounce spaghetti when she was very young. She would mix up some letters all the time.
Overuse and improper use of the word "like" seems to be the trend up here with our youth.

It looks like the majority of responses here are discussing -language stumbling and bumbling- with race or ethnicity as being a factor.

Our language is constantly trashed and for the most part, it is intended depending on the situation.--(A kind of singing/chanting if you will)

What amuses me (and likely Kern as well) is when the media speakers that (presumably intend on clarity and believability:rolleyes:) smash up the language and meaning of words as a matter of course.---When one is asked (in an official investigative situation) what the meaning of the word "it" is--how can laughter be suppressed?

My favorite word that is mispronounced a majority of the time is nuclear.--In fact my spell check tells me I have even spelled it wrong here.

Most speakers of the word give it three syllables. nu-cu-ler.:realcrazy: It is a two syllable word--nu-clear.

I guess the stumble comes from the word--clear- that is one of many that are tough to speak as one syllable.

As others have said --speaking is a complex gymnastics and a skill that is learned like any other task. Some languages train/teach what can become really tough to overcome. My Scotish grandmother (for example) had a very strong accent/brogue. She learned it early and never lost it into her nineties.

Last edited:
Must be a yankee thing. The only time I've ever heard aks was on everybody loves Raymond show. I thought it was some sort of speech impediment such as when my sister could not pronounce spaghetti when she was very young. She would mix up some letters all the time.
Overuse and improper use of the word "like" seems to be the trend up here with our youth.

Your mention of the use of the word "like" is a good example of how learning --speak-- is still underway.
When one uses the word -like- in your example, --they are using it as a comma in speach. They could as well have used --er--um--uh instead.

BTW--All of my speaking here on this topic is just from my uneducated observations over the years. English was tops for my least liked topics in school.

Just for fun--- let's start a conversation about proper -punctuation- in posting. :steering:I make no attempt at being correct wit punk chew ation.#$%

Auto Transport Service
Back