• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

View attachment 221521
View attachment 221522

Here's the stop, I had this bumper laying around from a bumper kit I bought and never knew where it went........until now.

When I bought my 68 and drove it home from Michigan, that bumper was missing off the clutch stop. As soon as it got over 60 mph it made a horrible metal on metal banging. At the time I had no idea what it was, and I feared the worst! Once I got it home and started looking around I discovered that exact bumper was missing. Turns out if was in the glove box.....no idea why.

And it hasn't stopped, no snow up until now and now it's dumping down relentlessly. I took the day off work to get some things done and they canceled school so now I'll be sled riding with the kids..........sure beats being at work! DSCN0036.jpg

Wow, We don't have much but its coming i guess and there talking about closing school here in the AM, with all this wind i imagine it will be a real mess if the snow starts flying, sounds like its trying to tear the woods up out there tonight lol..

Burn out in the shop maybe lol... Heck just 4 months from now winter should be over........... should :)

Finally got the trans hump done, I've been putting off because I needed a helper and plenty of time to stick around incase of a fire. I called one of my car buddies out to lend a hand and he showed up with his father in law (another one of my car buds) so it went quickly. They jumped under the car and had the tranny out while I finished up the hump, then they laid under the car beating the metal out tight when needed and scrubbing out the fires. I chose to just drill 5/16" holes and plug weld it in so it wouldn't get all warped up, seam seal it and then repaint the bottom with bedliner and back in with the tranny. Here's how it came out, pretty happy with it.DSCN0038.jpgDSCN0037.jpgDSCN0039.jpgDSCN0040.jpgDSCN0041.jpgDSCN0042.jpgDSCN0043.jpgDSCN0044.jpgDSCN0045.jpg

Sweet . . . great looking job on the fabrication 747 Mopar . . . won't be too long now . . .

Hey Dev,

It's been a while since I've been on, and as usual you've been crazy busy!

Just my 2 cents worth on the TKO-600:

I installed a complete TKO-600 kit in my '70 Vette and absolutely loved it except for high RPM shifting, which as you mentioned, is a known issue of the trans, but other than that you are goin to LOVE it; it will seem like you're driving a completely different (better) car.

Keep up the amazing work!

A little more work tonight. Got the carpet back in and figured out how to seal the shifter off since I will be using a console (didn't want a boot under the console). The only way to get the tranny in or out without pulling the headers (headers rest on the steering not allowing the motor to tilt far enough) is to remove the shifter from the top of the tranny before hand so that was a must (did I mention I hate pulling headers). I cut a hole big enough to allow the shifter to be removed from inside the car then made a cover plate with rolled edges (for stiffness) that bolts over it to close it back off. I was going to do what some factory cars do and that's just let the foam rest on the top of the tranny to seal the hole but after making this plate I decided to go this route (pancake it under the plate). I think this will work really well.

DSCN0049.jpg
DSCN0050.jpg
DSCN0052.jpg

This shifter is a gonner! Not really digging the whole semi truck look plus I want it in the console with a short boot just like my auto shifter was so I'll make a new one soon with my pistol grip on it.

DSCN0053.jpg

Another minor issue resolved, since I have a GPS operated speedo I won't be using the hole for the cable so I had to make a plug.

DSCN9998.jpg

Here's what my buddy at the auto store dug up for me to use for the safety switch on the clutch pedal. I think this will work great with the long lever and mounting bracket. I was going to use a brake switch but with them you would be able to start it when the pedal was only pushed 1/2" or so. This one is a normally open switch that can be mounted at the bottom of the stroke with plenty of travel so you won't have to worry about bottoming it out meaning you'll have to push the pedal all the way down. I don't want to find out what happens when you fire a motor on choke (fast idle) that has a few ponies if you know what I mean.

DSCN0055.jpg
DSCN0054.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dev,

It's been a while since I've been on, and as usual you've been crazy busy!

Just my 2 cents worth on the TKO-600:

I installed a complete TKO-600 kit in my '70 Vette and absolutely loved it except for high RPM shifting, which as you mentioned, is a known issue of the trans, but other than that you are goin to LOVE it; it will seem like you're driving a completely different (better) car.

Keep up the amazing work!

I believe you, it's gonna be fun for sure. I do have a question though, what rpms are you running yours up to? I read that the TKO 600 had upgraded syncro's to allow high rpm shifts (6,000). I run mine up to 6,000 or just shy of it all the time but never over 6,000 (I have my rev limiter set at 6,000). According to my cam specs it should top out at 5,800 but it doesn't seam to agree haha.:headbang:

Hey Dev,

The engine in my Vette was basically a de-tuned sprint car engine with Hilborn 8-stack injection (electronic), 11.5:1cr, and SWEET Pro-Action heads (dyno'd at 600+ hp) so I was redlining at around 7200rpm and at that point it would sometimes be impossible to shift, let alone being "tight".
I mic'd the bellhousing before installation and it was within spec, so I always excluded that as the cause.
I doubt your big-inch Mopar is going to be turning near that kind of RPM so you may not have any issues, though on the other hand you've got stump-pulling torque that may cause issues; I guess that makes it a toss-up.
The one thing I could do to help at all was to shift slowly, no banging shifts at redline, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Sorry, I know this post isn't much help, but like I said, maybe you won't experience any issues at all.

BTW - I got my entire trans/shifter/slave/throw-out setup from Keisler. I don't fault them in the least; I always figured I was over-taxing the trans.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. 7,200 rpm is definitely over 6,000 by a healthy amount haha. We'll see soon I hope, you don't actually think this car is hibernating all winter do you???????? Still waiting on the driveshaft to come back (should be very soon) and then the next day with unsalted dry roads I'm trying it out and since Drew already put 700 miles on it I won't even have to baby it.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. 7,200 rpm is definitely over 6,000 by a healthy amount haha. We'll see soon I hope, you don't actually think this car is hibernating all winter do you???????? Still waiting on the driveshaft to come back (should be very soon) and then the next day with unsalted dry roads I'm trying it out and since Drew already put 700 miles on it I won't even have to baby it.

the seal sure looks like it'll work . . . another top notch fabrication . . . now all that you're waiting on is your drive shaft . . . and look out ! ! !

So the break in period is over . . . dang . . . may need to make a road trip to be up there for this test drive ! ! ! Whoooohooooo ! ! !

What a crap night! I only have a few minor things to wrap up before I can try out the tranny but noooooooooooooooo, nothing can go right. First off I didn't realize DOT4 was such a pain to find so I didn't have the right fluid to get it bled so I figured I would get the Carb rebuilt (yeah right). I took it apart and cleaned it up, it looked really good inside with all of the original jetting and power valve which was great but once I went to button it back up half the bolt holes were stripped out :angryfire:. I ended up getting almost nothing done and who knows how long it will take to get a Heli Coil kit to fix all of the jacked up threads so who knows if I'll even get it out before the white stuff flies again.

Man.......sorry to hear it! That stinks. Flip side, tranny, hump and shifter turned out great Dev. As always, professional grade work!

What a crap night! I only have a few minor things to wrap up before I can try out the tranny but noooooooooooooooo, nothing can go right. First off I didn't realize DOT4 was such a pain to find so I didn't have the right fluid to get it bled so I figured I would get the Carb rebuilt (yeah right). I took it apart and cleaned it up, it looked really good inside with all of the original jetting and power valve which was great but once I went to button it back up half the bolt holes were stripped out :angryfire:. I ended up getting almost nothing done and who knows how long it will take to get a Heli Coil kit to fix all of the jacked up threads so who knows if I'll even get it out before the white stuff flies again.

That sucks Dev, Ive had the same thing happen to me with those stripped out miseries, mine is the manifold itself, i need a set now for my 73, i haven't even looked where i can get a set of the heli jobs, i do have another i can use and may try that out... Hope this turns out good for you...

Man.......sorry to hear it! That stinks. Flip side, tranny, hump and shifter turned out great Dev. As always, professional grade work!

Thanks Prop, It really wasn't a big deal it's just that we had a handful of really nice dry warm days that week and I just missed them (I'm itching to try it out).

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks Dev, Ive had the same thing happen to me with those stripped out miseries, mine is the manifold itself, i need a set now for my 73, i haven't even looked where i can get a set of the heli jobs, i do have another i can use and may try that out... Hope this turns out good for you...

They're a pretty quick easy fix it's just a matter of getting them (Heli Coil) because #12-24 isn't a very commonly used size. Just about any auto store should be able to get them for you, mine was $31.00 for the kit and I'll have them tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Much better night tonight, got the Dot 4 fluid and the Heli Coils will be here tomorrow. I wish everything was this easy to bleed, I filled it, crawled under and cracked the bleeder open and by the time I crawled back out from under it the reservoir was almost empty and it was running all over the floor. After that one round of pumping and bleeding got all of the air out and it was done:hello2:. After really looking the console fit over I don't think I'm going to have to change anything, I rotated the speakers to put the terminals at the top which took care of them and I think if I make my own shifter lever it will clear everything and end up right where my other shifter was. If it stays nice and I get all of the drywall hung for the wife I might get to go for a ride tomorrow.:headbang:

Nice work as always Devin .. great fabbing and design work as ususal

Thanks Tallhair. I'm a little bummed out today, the car is sitting on it's wheels finally, carb ready to go, everything checked off and I failed to notice the Demon won't except the Holley fuel line setup (different bowl threads). So here I am waiting 2 more days for the right one to show up when it's absolutely beautiful outside, really disappointing.

Thanks Tallhair. I'm a little bummed out today, the car is sitting on it's wheels finally, carb ready to go, everything checked off and I failed to notice the Demon won't except the Holley fuel line setup (different bowl threads). So here I am waiting 2 more days for the right one to show up when it's absolutely beautiful outside, really disappointing.

Nooooooooooooooooo . . . say it aint sooooooooo . . . . So sorry 747Mopar ! ! !

You'll get to drive it...I have faith.

Also an FYI..Dot 4 is typically used for motorcycle brake fluid and can be purchased in any motorcycle or atv dealer store. That should help if a future need arises.

Auto Transport Service
Back