• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Trunk looks awesome! Im planning on doing something like that to my truck too. Exciting about the transmission! Thats gonna be bad ***!

i have driven 370 miles & 3.91 gear at 90mph in overdrive is awesome!!! you will love it!!!!

I'm sure I will. I'll have to check out your thread because I didn't know you were racking up the miles yet? Yours is an auto isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Watched the Purge Anarchy last week and they play this song at the end credits. Makes me think of your car with the stars and stripes hood! New car theme song maybe? I know you like heavy so I think you'll like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUBGChhGwO0

Not sure what to say Goon? I really didn't hear any music just weird sounds like some freaky horror movie? I like the artwork with the guns in it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Trunk looks awesome! Im planning on doing something like that to my truck too. Exciting about the transmission! Thats gonna be bad ***!

Every time I drive it now I'm make believing that it's a standard and I have an extra gear haha!:3gears: I still can't believe Ill have one already because it was expected to be more of a 1 or 2 years down the road thing not at the end of the summer so you bet I'm excited. I've wanted to drive the car allot more and much further distances but the gears were killing it so this will really make a huge difference.

YEP it is an auto a518 mopar trans with a bunch of HD diesel parts inside,it has lock up converter & OD,you will need a very well made & balanced drive shaft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had to sell my iroc z & my dodge Dakota if i wanted to keep the Charger,so now the charger is all i have to drive. i am blessed & happy to have my car!!!

YEP it is an auto a518 mopar trans with a bunch of HD diesel parts inside,it has lock up converter & OD,you will need a very well made & balanced drive shaft !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had to sell my iroc z & my dodge Dakota if i wanted to keep the Charger,so now the charger is all i have to drive. i am blessed & happy to have my car!!!

LMAO I think you made the right decision.

I'm sure I will. I'll have to check out your thread because I didn't know you were racking up the miles yet? Yours is an auto isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what to say Goon? I really didn't hear any music just weird sounds like some freaky horror movie? I like the artwork with the guns in it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Every time I drive it now I'm make believing that it's a standard and I have an extra gear haha!:3gears: I still can't believe Ill have one already because it was expected to be more of a 1 or 2 years down the road thing not at the end of the summer so you bet I'm excited. I've wanted to drive the car allot more and much further distances but the gears were killing it so this will really make a huge difference.

Ya it's definitely Industrial Heavy... lots of noises, clanging and then some heavy guitar leading into the America The Beautiful stint... I really only like the part where the music comes in, I hear ya though it's not everyone's bag that's for sure so no offense taken!

A huge thanks to Drew Williams for the great deal on the TKO 600 tranny kit, got it today and everything looks great. I figured the fact that he had a Dana rear might be the only hold back on getting this installed since I have a 8 3/4 but the local auto store sells a universal that has both cups making it a straight up swap:headbang:. So the plan is to have the auto out tomorrow night, install bellhousing and check alignment (Summit stocks offset dowels if it's not within specs), and get it wrapped up by Sunday. The weather here is crappy with nothing but rain so it's perfect timing to tackle this job. Can't wait

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention he ended up using an 8 bolt crank so the flywheel and clutch are all still brand new :headbang: which really sweetens the deal. I thought these were more of a bolt in tranny but a quick look at the rear most shifter location shows how much Keisler milled out to clear the cross member. I really like the master cylinder setup too, it bolts right threw the original clutch linkage hole so that will be nice. He even sent all of the paper work which is great, Thanks a bunch

Attachments

• DSCN9981.jpg
    DSCN9981.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN9982.jpg
    DSCN9982.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN9983.jpg
    DSCN9983.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN9984.jpg
    DSCN9984.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 304
A huge thanks to Drew Williams for the great deal on the TKO 600 tranny kit, got it today and everything looks great. I figured the fact that he had a Dana rear might be the only hold back on getting this installed since I have a 8 3/4 but the local auto store sells a universal that has both cups making it a straight up swap:headbang:. So the plan is to have the auto out tomorrow night, install bellhousing and check alignment (Summit stocks offset dowels if it's not within specs), and get it wrapped up by Sunday. The weather here is crappy with nothing but rain so it's perfect timing to tackle this job. Can't wait

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention he ended up using an 8 bolt crank so the flywheel and clutch are all still brand new :headbang: which really sweetens the deal. I thought these were more of a bolt in tranny but a quick look at the rear most shifter location shows how much Keisler milled out to clear the cross member. I really like the master cylinder setup too, it bolts right threw the original clutch linkage hole so that will be nice. He even sent all of the paper work which is great, Thanks a bunch

Amazing! Anxious to watch this happen and hear your thoughts! MANNN PEDAL TIIIIME (fer racin' obviously!!!)

SAAAAAAAAAWEET....you know what the manual guys say dont ya...."I LIKE TO DRIVE MY CARS" like goon said fer racin baby. lol you gonna love it.

I'm sure it will, can't wait!!!!! I've never owned (or driven) a V8 with a standard so I'm pretty anxious to bang some gears, my daily driver is a V6 standard and I love it even though it isn't anything to brag about so this outta be good. Last night went pretty well, got the 727 pulled (forgot how much stuff there was to unhook) and the flywheel and bell installed but since there was nobody to crank the motor while I watch the dial indicator that's all the further I could go. Picked up the universal and pilot bearing today although it's going to take some work. The pilot sold for this setup (can't get it by this weekend) is just a Ford pilot bearing from a Mustang fitted into a bushing so that it fits into the torque converter nose bore so I'll have to machine a bushing to install it (always something). Sunday is looking pretty iffy on finishing this and it might take till next weekend with the growing honey do list but I'll drive it before I park it for the winter.

MMMM new parts! :blob1: Looks good man! Thats exciting! I've never driven a V8 standard either! Manual transmissions are so much more fun! Definitely looking forward to see how this turns out, I wanna do something like this to my 71 Satellite which will be the next project.

Had a little time today to tinker around and figured I'd get the pilot bushing taken care of so I would have it. I just took the Ford bearing and made an aluminum bushing for it to fit into and had the correct O.D to fit the crankshaft "man do I love that Monarch Lathe".

DSCN9992.jpg

DSCN9993.jpg

This was a pleasant sight, I've been concerned that I had a rear main leak but it's dry as a bone around the seal and looks to be just a pan gasket :hello2:.

DSCN9986.jpg

Here's the carb swap, out with the Holley Vac Sec and hello too the Demon DP. Here's a little something interesting I noticed about the jetting on these 2. I've had really good luck with Demons being really close right out of the box so I checked out the power valve and main and guess what???????? The Demon is set up almost identical to where I ended up on the Holley which was way off.

DSCN9985.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight I'll get a buddy to come over and tackle checking the bell housing alignment and if it checks out I'll try to get the tranny bolted up. Who am I kidding? If it checks out I'll get allot more than that done, hopefully close to being done.

Got the pilot bearing installed but the bell housing is .010" out with a limit of .005 so that put a stop to everything in a hurry. Since tomorrow is Sunday I'm in no hurry now (all my garage time is Fri & Sat nights), I'll order the offset dowels from Summit and be ready next weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I misunderstood the directions. If the bell housing is misaligned more than .005 it needs adjusted but mine reading .010 means it out .005 (.005 both ways from center). Dammit I could have had it in there!! Oh well I got something more important done anyways, I put new axle bearings in the 4 wheeler so me and the kids can do some riding tomorrow.:headbang:

I've never had to check bell alignment before. Hell my trans has the bell cast on.. sounds like a pain in the *** caused by manufacturing tolerances being loose. Anyway...can't wait to see the videos...win wink

Devin you'll get it!! Besides the 4-wheelers await and fun is fun, im a little late i guess but keep on with the fun!!!

Like Goon says, that extra man pedal that's made fer racin is really going to put a smile on your face lol. I didn't see where you mentioned your tranny used a special pilot bushing. If not, the National FC-69907 is a needle bearing that works great with no modifications - although you already have it taken care of.

DAYUM I'm jealous of the new trans!! That's gonna be fun for sure, looking forward to seeing how you like it as I'm still kind of on the fence as far as 5 vs 6 speed

You are after my own heart with this. The Dash gives me ideas for my own now. I was going to do spun metal but now I don't believe I will. I have 18" Assanti custom wheels made on my GTX project and it made it handle like a dream and look great. From what I see, what ever you put on will look great. I hope to see you and the car at a show some day. Nice work.

Like Goon says, that extra man pedal that's made fer racin is really going to put a smile on your face lol. I didn't see where you mentioned your tranny used a special pilot bushing. If not, the National FC-69907 is a needle bearing that works great with no modifications - although you already have it taken care of.

Yes it takes a special pilot bearing, the tranny is basically a Ford Mustang tranny that Tremec has upgraded for more torque handling capabilities and higher rpm shifts. The input shaft is a bit shorter meaning it engages the pilot bearing where the converter would normally seat (the big bore)
instead of the smaller bore originally for the pilot bearing. Of coarse that means it's a Mustang diameter as well so you just need a Mustang pilot bearing bushed to fit the bigger converter bore. American Powertrain wants $60.00 for this bearing that I have just a few bucks in.

- - - Updated - - -

DAYUM I'm jealous of the new trans!! That's gonna be fun for sure, looking forward to seeing how you like it as I'm still kind of on the fence as far as 5 vs 6 speed

I'll let you know because I was on the fence as well between the 6 and 5 speed before deciding on the Viper trans (I could afford it) but then this deal made the decision easy for me. What I've learned is the Viper trans doesn't have the ideal gearing with the final drive of .50 while the T56 is perfect with the .64 but requires allot of cutting. The TKO 600 has the same final gear but makes a bigger jump from 4th (1:1) to 5th (.64) where the T56 has another gear in between, the T56 is also a single rail shifter meaning smoother shifting and can be shifted at higher rpms. The TKO can be shifted at 6,000 rpm and shifter feels tight. I'm hoping to try it out this weekend but the forecast is looking iffy, I'll be sure to let you know.

- - - Updated - - -

You are after my own heart with this. The Dash gives me ideas for my own now. I was going to do spun metal but now I don't believe I will. I have 18" Assanti custom wheels made on my GTX project and it made it handle like a dream and look great. From what I see, what ever you put on will look great. I hope to see you and the car at a show some day. Nice work.

Thanks, glad you liked it. Sounds like you only read the beginning because it's done.......... wheels and all!

- - - Updated - - -

I've never had to check bell alignment before. Hell my trans has the bell cast on.. sounds like a pain in the *** caused by manufacturing tolerances being loose. Anyway...can't wait to see the videos...win wink

It must be common since they all recommend it? For the price of these Bell housings they should be guaranteed to fit or your money back if you ask me but I'm sure the engine blocks may not be perfect either.

Yeah tolerance stacking can become a problem. When you don't control all of the parts in your own quality program I could see why it may be necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back