• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restomod charger pics

Man.......sorry to hear about the bad gig with the tranny. Hopefully santa tosses a t56 down your chimney. Congrat's on the new job though! Sounds a heck of a lot better than what you're working now. Good luck!

Pretty sure Santa isn't going to do that haha.

- - - Updated - - -

what I'd really appreciate is if someone could get me the proper tail shaft height from an original setup. Maybe from rocker panel pinch weld to pinch weld left to right and how far up? Should have measured mine before removing it but I really didn't expect this.

what I'd really appreciate is if someone could get me the proper tail shaft height from an original setup. Maybe from rocker panel pinch weld to pinch weld left to right and how far up? Should have measured mine before removing it but I really didn't expect this.

When I put the 727 back in my car, I can see that the tail is 1 1/2-2" higher than it sat with the TKO600. That's more than enough to give a vibe. I loved the overdrive, but there is no point if you can only drive 60MPH anyways. I found anything after that it started to vibrate.

Here is a photo of how much I'd have had to cut (including trans crossmember) to get tail high enough to have angle right. If I didn't have dynamat already layed I probably would tackle it.

IMG_3703_zps09ffa759.jpg

IMG_3704_zpsd211cc57.jpg

i set my drivetrain up to run 3 degrees downward tilt and left the rear end exactly where it was from the factory. I can cruise 125 all day with no vibrations.... I'd say just check the output angle of the trans and if its 3 deg down you will be ok...dont get too much or too little or it will induce vibrations

Damn that sucks to hear about the trans issues man, hopefully you can make the jump to a viper t56 though! Proven badassery right there

On a sidenote I have no problem hacking up my vehicles and welding them back together if you'd care to donate a 5 speed to the Frankenstein Fund lol

- - - Updated - - -

And congrats on the new job opportunity! Sounds promising!

Damn that sucks to hear about the trans issues man, hopefully you can make the jump to a viper t56 though! Proven badassery right there

On a sidenote I have no problem hacking up my vehicles and welding them back together if you'd care to donate a 5 speed to the Frankenstein Fund lol

- - - Updated - - -

And congrats on the new job opportunity! Sounds promising!

Thanks, I'm exited to see what 40 hrs feels like again and to never hear another alarm clock again haha!!!!! If you want it it's for sale! Now to clear this up, I'm more than willing to cut it up just not going to do it for this tranny but for a 6 speed.

- - - Updated - - -

i set my drivetrain up to run 3 degrees downward tilt and left the rear end exactly where it was from the factory. I can cruise 125 all day with no vibrations.... I'd say just check the output angle of the trans and if its 3 deg down you will be ok...dont get too much or too little or it will induce vibrations

Good to know.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks about right Wookie although mines really close to where it needs to be without cutting into it and I did get it up to 65 mph with no issues.

and I did get it up to 65 mph with no issues.

If you can manage 88 mph you might be able to travel back to 1985! Just sayin!!

- - - Updated - - -

When I put the 727 back in my car, I can see that the tail is 1 1/2-2" higher than it sat with the TKO600. That's more than enough to give a vibe. I loved the overdrive, but there is no point if you can only drive 60MPH anyways. I found anything after that it started to vibrate.

Here is a photo of how much I'd have had to cut (including trans crossmember) to get tail high enough to have angle right. If I didn't have dynamat already layed I probably would tackle it.

IMG_3703_zps09ffa759.jpg

IMG_3704_zpsd211cc57.jpg

I fancy that shifter! Looks like a good length and the pistol grip is sweet

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you'll have to explain that one to me??????? Forgive me I'm a little so sometimes haha. I'm a little curious to how that shifter even works since it's not even in one of the shifter locations (shift rail comes out the back)? Does it improve the shifting?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you'll have to explain that one to me??????? Forgive me I'm a little so sometimes haha. I'm a little curious to how that shifter even works since it's not even in one of the shifter locations (shift rail comes out the back)? Does it improve the shifting?

Yes rod comes out the back and hangs over the tail shaft causing the slip yoke to have to stick out too far so it clears shift rod when in 1st, 3rd or 5th. This and a combo of a bad driveline angle results in a high speed off load vibration when the splines relax. Thus the 727 back in the car.

Yeah that's understandable, and with the your car we know you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty with fabrication haha. I might be interested though man! Sorry I think I missed it but what was the problem you were having with the 2-3 shift? I'm with you that if I'm gonna go all hack-n-slash I'd at least want it to work well afterwards

Devin, If you could grab ahold of a 833 and some parts, this nightmare may be over, but new tires twice a year could cause more... Just sayin.. and im sorry but ive never had any luck with autos and anything outside of the 4-speed that gos to the car, i know its probably been me but with my 4-speeds, i know how to fix them, helps my state of mind, especially when i can change most any problem quickly :) And i do hope im not offending you telling it!!! im thinking if i tell it, you may have a new project, inside the original! :) just for giggles ive been putting a 4-speed in my 73 for 9 years,,,,,, im not quite sure its going to happen but i kid ya not,, if i could manage to do it, i would..... and being truthful its not power shifting, slamming the gears, its there cheaper to repair most of the time and with all the 833 trans in my young days cars, i never tore one up and i was bad with them.

Yeah that's understandable, and with the your car we know you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty with fabrication haha. I might be interested though man! Sorry I think I missed it but what was the problem you were having with the 2-3 shift? I'm with you that if I'm gonna go all hack-n-slash I'd at least want it to work well afterwards

It just has a hesitation allot like a truck tranny, it goes into every gear fine but these trannies from what I read just don't like being banged threw the gears but instead shifted easily.

I've been away from the Charger for a while now, here's why. I promised my daughter that I'd build them a playroom in the basement and a month later voila! If you look threw the arched doorway you can see what I started with, I used a foam forming system to build the basement which provided plenty of anchor points (thick plastic ties). I still have to build an entertainment center for their TV and games but it's pretty well done.

DSCN9424.jpg
DSCN9423.jpg
DSCN9422.jpg
DSCN9421.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now for my Christmas gift from my daughter.:icon_santa: She knew I hated that broken Emblem. I also bought pads for my new man pedals haha.

DSCN9412.jpg
DSCN9409.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And then the big news if you haven't been following my Viper tranny thread is I have everything except the bell housing to start the install. I cannot wait for this one!
View attachment 231552

Looks great. Ya gotta love a daughter that knows what Dad will really like! Looks like she has a Dad that knows what she really likes too! She will probably use that room as much or more than you use your shop.

Devin, If you could grab ahold of a 833 and some parts, this nightmare may be over, but new tires twice a year could cause more... Just sayin.. and im sorry but ive never had any luck with autos and anything outside of the 4-speed that gos to the car, i know its probably been me but with my 4-speeds, i know how to fix them, helps my state of mind, especially when i can change most any problem quickly :) And i do hope im not offending you telling it!!! im thinking if i tell it, you may have a new project, inside the original! :) just for giggles ive been putting a 4-speed in my 73 for 9 years,,,,,, im not quite sure its going to happen but i kid ya not,, if i could manage to do it, i would..... and being truthful its not power shifting, slamming the gears, its there cheaper to repair most of the time and with all the 833 trans in my young days cars, i never tore one up and i was bad with them.

Thanks Ron but an Overdrive is a must for me so I can come visit haha. I'm going with the Viper trans for several reasons but most importantly is that it's a proven tranny, the T56 has become the Cadillac of Overdrives and has earned a reputation of being smooth shifting and capable of taking some good abuse. The 833s are also well proven but lack that magic gear (or 2) that set's you at ease while doing 70 mph down the freeway.:toothy10: No offense ever taken Ron!

Nice work on the room for your Daughter. Looks like it turned out great. Looking forward to seeing the Viper tranny install.

The last piece has arrived, the Quicktime bellhousing. Here's some more eye candy for the Charger. The daughters gift made me dislike my ugly gas cap even more so I took advantage of Year Ones 30% off and ordered a new one and a new dome light lens. The upholstery shop just finished the trunk panels too, didn't have time to clean them up and just threw them in there.

DSCN9425.jpgDSCN9430.jpgView attachment 231689DSCN9431.jpg

Agreed. Man that trunk looks great. You could probably draw up diagrams with dimensions and sell them!

Thanks guys, Once I get a chance I'll show how their made and installed (really simple).

- - - Updated - - -

That all looks awesome... Loving the trunk panels!! and I bet your plenty happy to have that bellhousing in your hands!!

Thanks Goon! You bet, those were the only things stopping the install so it's go time this weekend.

Wish I could be there this weekend to lend a hand and see it all up close! BTW the room for the kids looks great and nice to see your girl enjoying it!

Auto Transport Service
Back