• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling "custom" builds.

Darius

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Some of you know my car and what went into it. (https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/b-body-stiffening.1121/)
How tough is it to sell cars like this? So much went into it it is not much like the stock stuff one is used to seeing and working with/on. Does this "limit" one's market or enhance it? I know as strongly as I know anything I would NEVER get as much out of it as I have in it cash wise so that is not the question. Just wondering what the general attitude is about something like this. Would YOU buy a "done" car like this???

look at what some are going for then with the work you have done add 15 grand and say o.b.o you can always go down on the price but you cant go up and say o.b.o

I've sold several and you will be lucky if you break even.High end cars you never can tell. Sometimes you have to consign them,or auction them at the big time auctions.Even sold on here.Done all that. Auctions you may get 2 high rollers bidding against each other and you may do ok, if they are just in it for who's Johnson is bigger.
B J, Mecum, Russo/Steel , it's all a game.Sometimes you win but not often.

To answer your question, “would you buy a done car like this? Me personally, I would not. I guess when you think about it there are people who are car enthusiast and like to buy and sell and own different cars but really don’t want to get into the blood, sweat, and tears of working on them. Personally for me I would not feel comfortable standing at a car show with a completed car that someone else did all of the work on and then trying to represent it as mine. I would prefer to do all the work myself. Then be able to talk about all of the issues, learning, time and work I put into the car with others.

There are lots of guys with cash and no time, regardless of capability, that want to build it themselves but cannot. OK, I work in Silicon Valley. These guys want to buy, drive, perform basic maintenance and enjoy. I have buddy's that will work on a car for five years and buddy's that will write a check in five minutes. They both love and appreciate these cars. Done tends to be done to a single person's taste, that's where it gets squirrelly. A straight-up by the VIN numbers build is easy for both parties. A resto-mod is pretty straight-forward; either you like it or you don't. Everything else, you need to find the right buyer. Lots of really well done cars right now on the major sites and asking top dollar but I see so many relisted over and over. Needing to sell is different than would be nice. Best of luck either way but with time and patience and the right price, it'll find a new home.

The $200,000 cars that the shops build that go up for auction rarely get half of what the build costs.
Common sense thought: To get the money, you have to find that ONE guy that has to have it. Maybe more accurately, at an auction, you need TWO guys that love it and will bid against each other until one backs out.

First off, beautiful car. I just looked through your build and it looks a really well done car. As to value, ultimately it comes down to what someone will pay but I would say your car is worth somewhere in the $45-$50K. While I think your dash and interior are really nice, this is a bit too personal for some, I think it would sell for more and/or faster if the interior looked more stock but that just my opinion. I do think if you was to get the most out of it you are going to have to be patient and wait for the right buyer. There is probably some guys overseas who would snatch it up.

I would only buy a "done" car. My back is shot and have no prospect of being able to do the work myself. You will be fine when it comes time to sell.

To the right buyer it's worth quite a bit. I watched your car come together and know the quality, it's a sweet ride. I'd keep it before I'd ever take a raping on the price, too nice of a car.

My brother had a saying,"Ask your price and if you can wait long enough,someone will pay for it."

Here we go, the million dollar question! I have done what you did, to GM's and someone will buy it for two reasons. First, get in it and go, no problems. Second, the look is fun and the thought that goes into it is out of the box and many enjoy that alone. I own one now, that I bought done and was done in 2006. I just bumped into it at a car show. It wasn't for sale, but he sold it anyway. I'm that person you are looking for and we are out there. Restomod's are all over the place so you and me aren't that odd. Where do you start and stop on a car, no one wants those old brakes, so you change out the master cylinder and put disc brakes on it. It's not pure anymore so why not move on from there. I get the purist thing and enjoy a completely original car as much as the next person. To build a car your way, is to build a car the way you think it should have been built or like buying a new challenger that looks like a 71, but isn't. To give you an idea, I paid $30,000 for mine, 2 years ago this month. We can argue that I paid to much or, wow, what a deal, it's doesn't matter, I love my car. I get in it and I'm gone. I love doing 70 mph at 1600 rpm, knowing the car will go faster and stop better than the car was ever originally built to do. I would have bought it if it was a 383 or a 426 and loved it and never have changed it, but it's a 5.7 Hemi, 65 Coronet and it's mine. For the record, at cruises, I have people crawling all over it. To me, it's a bitchin ride!! Good luck!!

There's a *** for every seat and a seat for every ***. In this case you should stick to your price and don't let it go on the cheap unless your hurting for bucks, then you gotta do what ya gotta do to survive brother. Good luck but I hope you really don't have to sell, you've got a lot of blood. sweat and beers in that beauty.

Custom high end cars can bring good money, do not be afraid to ask what you think it is worth. Just look at some of the crap on eBay that they want $50K or even $100K for, I know that they probably don't get that but they sure try. You have a beautifully done car that appears capable of getting in and driving anywhere any time, that is worth something, actually that is worth a lot. Do not be afraid to start high, through in the old "OBO" and see what fish bite.

First it’s a Camper, then Ham Radio. Now thinking of selling the GTX? Don’t do it.

all kinds of people out there

ol' adage;
there's an *** for every seat
just need to find that ***

they may not want to pay as much,
but they are out there

priced right, it will sell
overpriced it, it will sit with very little interest
need to find that niche'

The diehard MoPar crowd sometimes is the hardest sale too
some are really picky about what "personal" choices have been made,
Vin tag & fender-tag readers etc., will want to pick it apart
they don't read the ad before coming to look
or just there to lowball you, get a deal

Mopar Galen Govier fender tag -has no #'s matching parts-.jpg

I'm sure you've heard stuff already at shows etc.

most of my old cars have been custom in one way or other
or racecars, all of them sold sooner or later, close to or what I wanted

sort of depends on how they are built
specifically built to taste cars, built to your personal taste
color, interior choices, engine choice, sound, stance, or even stereos **** etc.
has to appeal to someone, just as much as it did/does to you

need to find that guy that has to have it
& has a taste like yours

good luck if you are trying to sell

I wasn't really considering selling the car right now. Just bummed like the rest of us about losing an entire season because of the dictators and virus excuse. In my "state of depression" I was in the garage looking at the car and just wondered. Someday it will be gone whether it is me who sells it or whoever ends up with it in the family after I croak.

All the more reason to wear it out. Heirs will just sell it. They are already well taken care of.

Auto Transport Service
Back