• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foods that you tried ONCE but never again...

Sardines is another one that I won't touch. Used to be a guy that would go into the lunchroom early and heat some up in the nuke machine and everyone bitched about that when it was time to go to lunch. Geez, what a stink!
I quite like occasionally sardines on hot buttered toast, a bit of grated tasty cheese on top with some ground pepper & salt (like they ain't salty enough) :lol:

Chuck 'em under the grille until the cheese just melts....eat straight away. Don't say yuck until you tried it.

Yeah yeah....everyone says they wouldn't feed sardines to their cat....but they are tasty, and a staple in places like Italy & Spain....in fact all around the Mediterranean.

I love spicy food but if something is blazing hot but has no flavor, I don't see the point.
Mom was born in Tennessee and she grew up eating and cooking food southern style.
We ate a lot of food fried in oil or butter. I'm surprised I wasn't 300 lbs by the time I left home.
Rarely did she cook a meal that we struggled to choke down. It wasn't always great but rarely ever bad.
Mary is a great cook too. She tries recipes she finds online or in magazines.
I've had a spotty record with cooking though. I've screwed up numerous meat loaf attempts. I had to ask YOU GUYS how to cook a decent burger but you came though for me and I do thank you all.
I've never had gourmet French food and have no desire to try it.
Mary's dad is from Iraq and their people have some really different dishes. Some are outright amazing and some looks too weird to try.
Meatloaf is pretty easy, or NOT easy.
My Ma has a recipe she uses oats, I think an egg or two.... you know I really don;t know, but it was extremely good. I should ask her exactly how she did it sometime.
Sorry, that's not too helpful.
For an easy, can't miss pretty good meatloaf:
Beef
Box of stuffing mix

Take beef, mix dry stuffing mix into it. If you make a smaller amount, don't use all the stuffing mix. It won;t be bad if you put too much in, but it is better when you get the balance right.
You can put your favorite spices in, but it won;t need any salt. We usually add a little black pepper, and then put a little on top as well. Sometimes some extra garlic.
Put in bread pan
Put in oven.
About 2/3 the way through cook, pull it out and top dress. You can do it one of (3) ways:
Put ketchup on it
Put your favorite BBQ on it
Or, and I know this is part of my Ma's, you put a mix of like 2/3 ketchup and 1/3 BBQ mixed together on it.
Return to oven to finish cook, top dressing will reduce some.

You don't need the stuff on top, but it is tradition for us.
We usually use either 85% or 90% beef for this. Whichever is on sale.

Stuffing mix has all the goodies you want to mix into beef. The dry bread in the mix will absorb the fat so it can't escape while it cooks, which is how you keep it from being bland. I know people use saltines, I have never found a single recipe anyone made I liked that way.

Sardines is another one that I won't touch. Used to be a guy that would go into the lunchroom early and heat some up in the nuke machine and everyone bitched about that when it was time to go to lunch. Geez, what a stink!
I had a coworker that would eat sardines for lunch. He'd unscrew the tin and pluck 'em out and suck 'em back, right out of the tin. Where's the puking smiley??

I quite like occasionally sardines on hot buttered toast, a bit of grated tasty cheese on top with some ground pepper & salt (like they ain't salty enough) :lol:

Chuck 'em under the grille until the cheese just melts....eat straight away. Don't say yuck until you tried it.
If you have never had bacarones (sp } in Spain or Portugal you have struck out if you were there.

Yeah yeah....everyone says they wouldn't feed sardines to their cat....but they are tasty, and a staple in places like Italy & Spain....in fact all around the Mediterranean.

Sounds like tripe. My great Aunt used to eat that crap ....boil it up for hours with onions....and served with a parsley white sauce. The entire time it was cooking would make us kids puke, and it smelled like hot urine.....tasted like a rubber hot water bottle.

Never never never again.
Tripe is intestine. If it is cleaned properly and fried crispy it is good. I don't count on any place doing it right so I won't eat it. Medudo has boiled stomach lining, which had a bumpy, chewy texture. Big nope from me. Use regular meat!!

Tripe is intestine. If it is cleaned properly and fried crispy it is good. I don't count on any place doing it right so I won't eat it. Medudo has boiled stomach lining, which had a bumpy, chewy texture. Big nope from me. Use regular meat!!
Tripe is the stomach lining (menudo), intestines are tripas. For Mexicans anyway.

The cow/beef has 4 stomachs and they are all used for menudo depending what part of Mexico you are from.

The 4 types of tripe are (in order of digestion); tripe (stomach lining), honey comb, omasum, and abomasum. Then comes the intestine.

1719673591871.png

And all of them process ****, hence why I will not touch it.

I had a coworker that would eat sardines for lunch. He'd unscrew the tin and pluck 'em out and suck 'em back, right out of the tin. Where's the puking smiley??
Canned sardines were my go to emergency rations during my truck driving years. Quick source of protein that never went bad. When I was a dispatcher, I would eat them while at my desk, extremely effective means of getting rid of guys who wanted to argue about their loads.

Coffee, lima beans, anything to do with liver, and red beets are on the no-fly list.

I hated lima beans until the first time I ate them baked Pennsylvania Dutch style. Amazing what a difference the recipe makes.
I trust your judgement, but if I saw those at Shady Maple I'm pretty sure I'd still avoid them like a poison tipped porcupine.

Sushi, went to a restaurant in San Francisco with a nice lady from Thailand. On the counter were little boats passing by in a little canal loaded with various types of sushi where one could kinda serve yourself when you spotted a "sample" you wanted to try. Don't like the idea of raw fish in the first place. Never again. At least I was in good company.

Coffee, lima beans, anything to do with liver, and red beets are on the no-fly list.
Sliced pickle beets are actually pretty good! I have never liked cooked beets of any recipe, but pickle beets make a nice refreshing side in the summer. I get these:
They have a "clean" taste. I don;t know how to describe why I don't like cooked beets other then "dirty" somehow.

Edit: oh, make sure you never ever spill the red juice out of a jar of pickle beets. Good luck getting that stain out.

Lima beans are only good in my Grandma's 7 bean salad. But then, that salad recipe makes wax beans taste good lol.

Sardines??? Nope not never not no-how!!! Anchovies??? Yes!!! That being said not the actual fish itself but rather like this...Y'all use Worcestershire Sauce??? It has processed Anchovies in the recipe and I use the crap out of that stuff for marinades and flavorings. In addition, I use it when it is a paste for recipes calling for it. Knowing what those two are made with and for, when the dish is ready, ya just don't know its there. Tripe...Stomach...no thanks because once again, no internal meats for me...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Canned sardines were my go to emergency rations during my truck driving years. Quick source of protein that never went bad. When I was a dispatcher, I would eat them while at my desk, extremely effective means of getting rid of guys who wanted to argue about their loads.
Wouldn't want to be a 'rider' in your truck and I can think of better ways to get rid of guys who wanted to argue about a load LOL

Tripe is the stomach lining (menudo), intestines are tripas. For Mexicans anyway.

The cow/beef has 4 stomachs and they are all used for menudo depending what part of Mexico you are from.

The 4 types of tripe are (in order of digestion); tripe (stomach lining), honey comb, omasum, and abomasum. Then comes the intestine.

View attachment 1686365

And all of them process ****, hence why I will not touch it.
th-1837243140.jpg

Sushi, went to a restaurant in San Francisco with a nice lady from Thailand. On the counter were little boats passing by in a little canal loaded with various types of sushi where one could kinda serve yourself when you spotted a "sample" you wanted to try. Don't like the idea of raw fish in the first place. Never again. At least I was in good company.
Where I come from, we call that stuff BAIT!!! cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Sliced pickle beets are actually pretty good! I have never liked cooked beets of any recipe, but pickle beets make a nice refreshing side in the summer. I get these:
They have a "clean" taste. I don;t know how to describe why I don't like cooked beets other then "dirty" somehow.

Edit: oh, make sure you never ever spill the red juice out of a jar of pickle beets. Good luck getting that stain out.

Lima beans are only good in my Grandma's 7 bean salad. But then, that salad recipe makes wax beans taste good lol.
Other than eggplant, I consume just about every Vegetable/Fruit as some vegetables actually are, known to humankind. Beets??? Cannot get enough of them. If you taste dirt from them it's because some people never peel the skin off when they cook them and that is most likely where the dirt taste comes from. Pickled ones??? HELL yes!!! Any and all Beans/Legumes I also scarf down. Limas or Butter beans are one of my favorites and I routinely have them as a side to a meal. I also have gotten into a product called Super Beets. They are sweet individual squares that help with one's BP and 2 a day have helped me with managing my BP as of late:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Coffee. That stuff not be only taste gross, the smell is hideous.
I love it, it's a staple for me
if it's (not) cooks/perked or dripped or pressed correctly
it can be bitter as hell, even for a coffee person

My dad would drink camper coffee, a lil' 'Jack'/wiskey in it
(I know you don't drink either)
I used to do that a lil' back in my 30's too, after dinner snort
or Kalua or Bailys, or some fresh made coffee liquor'

Yukon Jack with a hot cup of coffee after hunting/shooting
was a tradition for years

a few of the flavored creamers that are real cream 'are OK'
Chocolate or hazelnut etc.
but a lil' goes a long way, some are way too sweet for my taste

life's too short to hate something, that bad,
that has 100s
if not thousands of very good variations of it, from 100 different countries
you've never had a great cup then
or a properly prepped cup
I know it's not for everyone :blah:

I liked it as a kid even, my mom would have real cream & sugar in hers
I'd sneak sips
I'm more of a straight up fresh black coffee guy,
if it's a lil' acidy (gets bitter) like some coffees can be...
I'll put like a teaspoon of cane sugar in a 12 cup pot,
(or chickery over the grounds before it's perked the next time)
it mellows the acidity/sometimes when it has a slight bitter taste
it's usually too weak if it's bitter, IMHFO

Almost nothing worse than an old pot sitting
& served to a customer, it's freaken' gross

I know I will never convince ya',
but you need a good "fresh" brewed cup to properly judge it
not some swill from a greasy *** truckers/roadside restaurant

IMHFO, fresh ground coffee beans smell like heaven to me,
I don't know what heaven smells like
but;
I hope it smells like fresh ground coffee, from whole beans/brewed
(perked or even dripped)
fresh hot brewed coffee & bacon &/or sausages smell :poke:
then I know I have arrived

Like Steve McQueen says;
Steve McQueen On Coffee -doesn't ask me stupid questions.jpg
:carrot:

Last edited:
When I was a dispatcher, I would eat them while at my desk, extremely effective means of getting rid of guys who wanted to argue about their loads.
I did the same thing, for the same reason, when I worked at the sperm bank.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back