• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memories that make you smile or laugh out loud

Teenagers hanging out in Brooklyn, down by the factories closed late evenings into night. There was always a bunch of us, early teens, sometimes 10 to 20 at a time. Boys and girls just hanging out, listening to music, etc. We would think of games to play. One of them was 'Blindfold Make-out' . Line up a few guys, or girls, usually 6-10 at a time, blindfolded. You'd go up to the girl and kiss her gently. She would have to guess who it was. If correct, both of you would go in the doorway across the street and make-out for a while. Same with us guys, we'd stand there, lined-up with blindfolds, and a girl would come up to you and kiss you. Guess correctly, and there you go with her. Most were gorgeous, a few not so. Me... I solved that issue for myself. I observed what sneakers each girl was wearing, and memorized. I was able to look down from my blindfold at the girls feet, so now I knew which girl came up to me and kissed me. Hmmm.... I feel like Kathy tonight, so when see comes to me, I'll guess her name. When we go together, she asks how did I know. I tell her, I knew those soft, sweet lips could only be you....... You couldn't pry her off me !

I worked in a grocery store as a stock clerk part time starting in high school until I was 20, and had a lot of funny things happen while working there with a bunch of other young mischievous guys that I still think back on and laugh about.
One time me and my buddy Phil were in the break room and spotted a box of donuts sitting on top of the lockers. We opened the box to snag ourselves donuts but found they were old and petrified. Phil said wtf and proceeded to chuck one of the petrified donuts on the floor where it shattered into 100 pieces. I grabbed one and did the same, after enjoying watching 3 or 4 donuts explode as they hit the ground, we wandered off back to our work.
About a half hour later a call came over the PA. “All stockers report to the break room immediately!”
We headed there and the store manager proceeded to scream at us all at the top of his lungs “who did this?!!!”. He was livid and his face was red as a beet.
To this day when I see Phil he brings that time up and asks how did we keep a straight face and not give ourselves up by laughing?
What fun it was to be young and immature!
I had another coworker Nick who was a nice guy but sort of slow, and not one to participate in mischief.
One evening I told Nick a joke I can’t repeat here, and he smiled and chuckled but I suspected he didn’t “get it”.
I got back to stacking boxes and about 5 minutes later Nick started cracking up laughing, I looked over at him, realized he’d been thinking about my joke and finally after 5 minutes he “got it”.

starting in high school until I was 20,

You were in high school until you were 20 ?

01 A5.jpg

You were in high school until you were 20 ?

View attachment 1689238
Nope, I started at the store at 16 when I was in high school. Worked there almost 4 years until I was was 20, and a sophomore in community college, when they fired most of the stock crew for anything they could make up, since many of us had been there more than a couple years and were on the “old” Union contract making gobs of money per hour and they wanted to hire new employees making less than half as much. I was top scale making $35 or so an hour in todays money.
I was a few months away from leaving to go to 4 year university to finish my degree and had a ton of money saved up by then even had started buying stocks and mutual funds with the excess money then, so it didn’t hurt me financially much, but still bitter of the corporate games to get rid of high paid part timers and the corrupt UFCW union for looking the other way and not fighting for members like we paid dues for them to do. Otherwise some of my favorite memories of late teens were from working there and the friends I made there and many more funny stories beyond the couple I told.

Come on, man....it was a joke.
You know, like when the media takes a sound bite and plays it out of context?
I have no reason to think that you were in High School 6 years.

The very first roof that I sheeted with plywood, I fell off 2 or 3 times. One of the times I was near the ridge. (peak) Often times the spacing of the trusses isn't exact so you have partial sheets nailed in place with the overlap/waste hanging over where you cut it down to size in place. I had a 30" piece hanging over so I went to cut it off. I was standing on the section that was being cut off. Once I cut to the edge of it, it started to slide and I suddenly realized my mistake. I surfed this small section of plywood down the slope and off the whole roof, right over the head of some weed smoker burnout guy that was just walking by.
Whoa..what the hell, man ??
I wasn't hurt but what a sight it must have been to others....me sliding down with a circular saw in my hand, surfing over the head of the jobsite idiot!

Back in the late 80's or early 90's, I was driving my '70 Charger with some buddies in the car, going through a parking lot. For a moment, we were distracted by some girls walking through the lot and I must've turned my head to check them out. When I looked ahead again, there was a flash of chrome and BANG! I hit a shopping cart, I was probably going 30 mph. Didn't even think about hitting the brakes! The thing that makes me chuckle to myself even to this day is one of my buddies exclaiming, "You punted it...you punted it!!"

The girl I dated from England in 1975 before the internet who told me what the line about Mark's and Sparks meant.
Dodged the bullet on that one.
I also told Ian much later that I thought One Of The Boys was the better song. (For the obvious reason)
But I guess Bowie's song did it's job.

Screenshot_20240919_171003_Google.jpg

The girl I dated from England in 1975 before the internet who told me what the line about Mark's and Sparks meant.
Dodged the bullet on that one.
I also told Ian much later that I thought One Of The Boys was the better song. (For the obvious reason)
But I guess Bowie's song did it's job.

View attachment 1729232
I bought my first suit from Marks & Spencers..... (Sparks) - never failed a job interview wearing that suit.
Still have it to this day, even though it doesn't fit any longer. (material shrunk with time) :lol:

I went to M&S to buy my wife (then gf) a surprise birthday gift - a new bra. Having failed to research correctly beforehand by rummaging through her clothing drawers.....I improvised in-store.
T
he lovely young lady serving me asked what size I needed. I looked around and then held out both hands 'cupped' and rotated them about an inch away from her gorgeous boobs, and said..... "Your size will be perfect"

She looked at me, smiled, and said hang on one minute. She grabbed the right one, and thanked me. The bra was a perfect fit.

It was afterwards when quizzed on how I knew the size that I was worried. My gf just laughed and called me an idiot. :lol: She still laughs about that incident to this day.

The English girl worked the switch board and PA at our local now defunct department store. I met her there.
English accent over a deep south store PA. Fancy that.
I had another come and go girl friend about that time. Met her while I was working in the men's clothing department at that same store.
So I know all about men's fashion and suits I guess
About the only thing of interest in that part is she was a certified bra fitter for women that had had mastectomies in ladies undergarments.
And she was well qualified for the job.
Really hope she is alive and doing well. She had a rough time as a child . Adopted and had a good heart and chest.
She went to the west Coast for a key punch job.

Like most of you, too many to remember.....

Had a guy once that I put up on an evaporator tower to get some motor conduits installed.
Every time you walked by at ground level you could hear him up there drilling holes..."he must really be going at it!" Hot damn what a go-getter.
Late in the day I decided to climb up there to check on him, only to find him fast asleep with tape wrapped around the trigger of his corded drill....with absolutely zero progress.

Yeah, he was fired......but I couldn't help giggling about it even as I handed him his check.

Many, MANY years ago, I was running 13 ohs/teens at Irwindale, the FIRST one, and I wanted a 12 so bad I could taste it.
I had been running thru mufflers, so I decided to see what I could do uncorked.
Turned out, in the other lane was a car I had looked at earlier, a BOSS 9 Mustang, tuned by Earl Wade, an excellent Ford guy.
I left on him, and held him off to the finish line, picked up a timeslip of 12.96, 107, for my first ever 12 second pass, and beat a boss 429 at the same time.... with a 350 powered four speed 57 chevy.
Now, 12s are really slow, get used to a high9/low 10 car, 12s don't impress.
But it sure is a great memory for me, 40+ years later. More so than any of the races I've won.

I remember my daughter getting a big hit in junor league softball....as she rounded the bases she started blowing a bubble that grew to about the size of a cantaloupe. There she was, trying to scoot around the bases with this giant pink bubble flapping around in front of her face....everyone near that game was cracking up.

When I was a kid like 9-10 years old, my 2 older sisters 12 & 13
we were driving up to Pinecrest lake
in my dad's red 65-66 Buick Skylark convertible,
it's one of his visitation weekends, we went camping or fishing a lot
"when he showed up"
we had his dogs Flash & Baron, a yellow & a black both labs
in the car too as we got to elevation
the dogs started to fart really bad, my dad started cracking jokes
stepping on a duck or frogs etc., laughing my butt off at the time...

We get to the lake & campgrounds, set up camp a couple of lean-too's
to keep rain 'if any ever' off, or pinecones falling from hitting us in our sleep
as it starts getting dark, he starts hitting the JD,
were all cracking joke & laughing up a storm...
Dad comes back from the bathroom or from out of the woods,
his pants tucked into his boots & the waste pulled way down, his shirt rolled up
with his cowboy hat pulled way down over his eyes ears, dad acting the fool
dancing around the campfire, we're laughing our asses off
people from all around the campsites came over to see what all the raucous is
we had like 20 people us 4 & a bunch more many were young ladies
& young kids too...
I know he was 1/2 lit too, but he was usually a happy drunk & fun on trips
not mean or irresponsible "really"
I will never forget that night, I laughed so dang hard,
I couldn't catch my breath & started coughing...
We met a couple groups we kept in touch with
& we (dad) would plan camping trips with the groups...

Was probably 92 and my then GF (now wife) and I had been dating since 89.

As she was in college, l thought it would make a nice gift to give her a hot pot (a plug in kettle that you could make things in like coffee, tea, soup...)

Seeing it was empty l filled it with candy and thought it was a nice gift.

It went over like a fart in a spacesuit. I've never lived that down all these many years later,

Was probably 92 and my then GF (now wife) and I had been dating since 89.

As she was in college, l thought it would make a nice gift to give her a hot pot (a plug in kettle that you could make things in like coffee, tea, soup...)

Seeing it was empty l filled it with candy and thought it was a nice gift.

It went over like a fart in a spacesuit. I've never lived that down all these many years later,
Now I think that was a nice gift...

But I'm a guy, & don't read too much into it...

something nice & useful, with sweets in it too...

Why do some women get pissed about stuff like that ?
Lisa would ask me for a vacuum, or a specific pot & pan set,
or something like a percolator coffee pot for Christmas or BDs
now;
If I bought her something like that, that she didn't ask for
she took it like I was insinuating something else, so sensitive...
But I loved her...

Well she wasn't pissed but more like, gee thanks...Lol.

As guys we're just practical and being mechanically inclined we see things differently.

She does laugh about it now.

Auto Transport Service
Back