• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange noise in 440. I’m almost stumped

Bobby Sixkiller

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
It sounds like a belt squeaking. Come about 1000 to 1100. Goes away at 2000. No belts on. Oil pressure is good. 65 70 on highway. 25 to 30 at 650 rpm idle. I’ve pulled all accessories. Alt water pump ps pump. Pulled the oil slinger out. Swapped the distributor. I’ve been driving it like this. Thought it was a belt. Seems in front. Middle to lower. I’ll look more in a bit. It was late yesterday afternoon when I started trying to find it. I really thought it was a belt squeal. No knocking. No exhaust noises. No air leaks that I can find. Even plugged the vacuum ports. No smoking. No misfires. Runs great. 130 to 140 compression

If there’s a bolt for the lower pulley that’s too long it can touch the timing cover and make a squealing sound.

Reminds me, my gas pedal squeaks like a vacuum leak about through that rpm range. Must lube that roller before next drive...

Much maligned muffler bearing....
Do you have a mechanical fuel pump?
Get a long screwdriver or a piece of a broom handle and place it up against different components and have your ear touching the handle. You will at least be able to narrow down the area its manifesting from.

5E7D86B2-1C89-40B5-B1BB-7026300B6106.jpeg
Found it. Cam bolt rubbing cover. A tiny bend in the cover. Probably from someone prying off the water pump housing.

had a cam bearing come out of the block and block the oiling hole , it would squeal like a belt . used a broom handle up against my ear , then the other end on the engine looking to find the source of the noise . cup your hand over your ear with that broom handle between your hand and ear . set the tip on the engine and a new world of noise come to lite . might even be a bushing in the alt or water pump . check it out and locate it .

Reminds me, my gas pedal squeaks like a vacuum leak about through that rpm range. Must lube that roller before next drive...
Wayne, never lubed my gas pedal ever; hmmmm. Glad he found problem.

Instead of a broom handle or screwdriver use a length of hose.
Works great and you can detect noise vs air leak better, in some cases.

Auto Transport Service
Back