• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take your kids hunting

I quit hunting about 20 years ago. I used to hunt a lot. I don't think I could kill for sport anymore. I know all the arguments for hunting, conservation, meat, etc. I just choose not to do it any longer. There is not a chance in Hell my kids would enjoy it. We are conservative Republicans not flaming liberals.
I thought the same thing about my kid until the other day. Asked me to take him hunting with me. Absolutely floored me!

Last edited:
If you ever want to see a lot of Elk, go to Estes Park. CO. That place is overrun with them. I mean you could see 100 of them downtown. Because they are so accustomed to humans, tourists think they are tame and try to touch them. This goes especially wrong during the rut.

Last edited:
So proud of my daughter.. She’s the one in purple.
She used to go hunting with me when she was younger; shot a deer when she was 12, a moose at 14. She spent six years in university getting her biomedical science degree then lab-X-ray. Now she is back here, working at the same hospital as me and her mom.
Three of her female coworkers are also hunters, they went out this morning for the first week of bird season and got a few grouse. No husbands or boyfriends involved, just four white collar medical professional girls. For two of them it was their first hunt and first kill. Three of them have gun licences and buy their own guns and ammo.
Gotta keep the traditions alive and I couldn’t be prouder.

IMG_1078.png

IMG_1077.png

IMG_1076.png

IMG_1075.png

Last edited:
For many years my cousin and I hunted together, Then it was with our sons, then his grandsons, my oldest grandson does not have much interest in hunting. Unfortunately I lost my cousin in September. I do hope that his grandsons will still want to chase a pheasant with me on Thanksgiving morning

View attachment 1553710

View attachment 1553711

View attachment 1553712

View attachment 1553713
Sorry to hear that... May he rest in peace

by the way love that dog/s labs
my favorite hunt was/is always pheasant
& the occasional quail fast lil' buggers

I need to find the slides of my girls & boys hunting, while young
convert them to photos, girls (4) were great bird hunters
boys (2 & usually a friend too) loved elk or bear, the quest/the hunt

did some duck hunting too, sitting in the blind & working the dogs
girls (my 3 & my niece) didn't like the cold & 4am wake up much
my boys (son & nephew) dug it,

I'm not a big duck hunter anymore now either, sort of moved away from it
I did love working the dogs thou, really the reason why I even did it

my nephew is the only one that still hunts with me now, he's 50 now
my boy is in the Navy (lifer diver) always deployed somewhere, & he loves it

I like to walk & stalk/pursue an animal, not sit in a blind & wait/call them in
for that reason too, I don't do much deer hunting anymore either
all my buds like to sit on their asses, not walk & stalk them,
that's not hunting to me...

(I'm/we're) getting soft I guess

So proud of my daughter.. She’s the one in purple.
She used to go hunting with me when she was younger; shot a deer when she was 12, a moose at 14. She spent six years in university getting her biomedical science degree then lab-X-ray. Now she is back here, working at the same hospital as me and her mom.
Three of her female coworkers are also hunters, they went out this morning for the first week of bird season and got a few grouse. No husbands or boyfriends involved, just four white collar medical professional girls. For two of them it was their first hunt and first kill. Three of them have gun licences and buy their own guns and ammo.
Gotta keep the traditions alive and I couldn’t be prouder.

View attachment 1723200

View attachment 1723201

View attachment 1723202

View attachment 1723203
That's great they can always fend for themselves :thumbsup::thumbsup:
great life skill...

20 years ago I would have never thought I would miss a deer season. I still go out with my bow. I think mostly so I can keep the conversations with my customers. Swap some pictures and stories. I don't plan on killing another deer. I do like to eat a couple pheasants a year and love to work my dog.
I have very fond memories of being the kid that got to go hunting and fishing.
The last year I hunted with my grandpa and my great uncle, grandpa was 88 and uncle Bill was 91.
Yeah that was like me my Uncle Tink was really my mentor
he's my dad's Uncle, former Marine & later a Green beret col,
he had 3 boy all older than me by 8-12 years/I also called them uncles
(all Marines & Army too)
Tink he loved bird hunting especially, he's the guy who got me to train & work dogs too
He lived out on the delta, Bethal Island had a nice 1000+ acre farm/ranch
had a killer boat his whole life too (also loved fishing, so did my dad)
I've had a lab of some sort for most my life, since I was like 10,
1st as a kid I had 2 Flash (yellow) & Barren (Black)
then I had "The Duke" (Black, stud sired 81) then "Duckessa" (yellow female)
then "Dan the Man" (yellow one of Duke & Duckessa's pups)
then "Lord Budnicks" (chocolate) most recently "Elvis of Budnicks" (chocolate)

(I just lost my beloved Elvis July 30th, way too young 9 y/o, liver cancer, tumor,
caused internal bleeding of the spleen... man I miss my dog)

I'm currently looking for a good lab, don't care if papered or not
just want a good dog I can teach & be my buddy

I could go on a hunt & not ever shoot, so long as if I had a dog to work
& I'd be fine with that, happy
don't get me wrong I love the hunt still, I love shooting too, it's in my blood
but killed my quota, plenty
& I enjoy the act of hunting more than the kill, I still love the meat thou...

Last edited:
I am hoping to take one of my great nephew’s pheasant hunting this fall. His grandpa bought him a shotgun. So he should be set. The peasant population is up this year and we have some good private land to hunt.

So daughter and I went elk hunting on our property in Alberta. She had missed the last few years as she was away at schooling, but now that she is back home and working we managed to make opening day. While she was away she took the firearms course, got her licence, and picked out and bought her own rifle. Savage 110 in .308.
Our buddy called the bull in to 180 yards, daughter fired once and it was all over. A beautiful fat, healthy animal. Dad couldn’t be prouder.
IMG_1106.png
IMG_1098.jpeg

So daughter and I went elk hunting on our property in Alberta. She had missed the last few years as she was away at schooling, but now that she is back home and working we managed to make opening day. While she was anway she took the firearms course, got her licence, and picked out and bought her own rifle.
Our buddy called the bull in to 180 yards, daughter fired once and it was all over. A beautiful fat, healthy animal. Dad couldn’t be prouder.View attachment 1728536View attachment 1728537
A memory to last a lifetime, for both of you! Great job from both of you. Take care!

Sweet! That is a big body. Is that a Roosevelt Elk @Sahara ?
I don’t think these are Roosevelt Elk, those are larger yet. This one was fat as a pig, with a barrel shaped body. Should weigh around 900 pounds. The biggest one shot here was around 1100 pounds.

Congratulations! We don't have any grandchildren interested in hunting. So I can see unloading my stuff someday.
Since you have your own (private game farm) heh heh. Maybe you could use a .358.

Congratulations! We don't have any grandchildren interested in hunting. So I can see unloading my stuff someday.
Since you have your own (private game farm) heh heh. Maybe you could use a .358.
It’s been pretty good; daughter didn’t take up all of my interests but fishing and hunting was something we always enjoyed. Her fiancé is also into it, and she has three female coworkers that shoot and hunt as well. It’s great to see the traditions carry on, and ultimately I will give her the land. She is aware that it is to never be developed or sold. I would definitely be interested in a 358. That’s also a great elk caliber.

Back in post # 13, I stated my grandson wanted to hunt on our land in the mountains but he had not taken/completed the Hunter Safety course required for him. This past April, I told him I was taking the course and he should too. We both attended 5 nights for 3 hours and the shooting range on Saturday. We both completed it and he plans on going deer hunting next month. I've had 2 friends volunteer to take him up there as they would like to hunt. A few weeks ago, a black bear was caught on a cellular game camera checking out a tree stand 150 feet from our cabin. Very cool. Another cougar was on a photo about 600 feet from our cabin on the western side of our property.
Terry W.

Bear Aug2024A.jpg

Bear Aug 2024 B.jpg

Cougar 8-3-2024.jpg

Back in post # 13, I stated my grandson wanted to hunt on our land in the mountains but he had not taken/completed the Hunter Safety course required for him. This past April, I told him I was taking the course and he should too. We both attended 5 nights for 3 hours and the shooting range on Saturday. We both completed it and he plans on going deer hunting next month. I've had 2 friends volunteer to take him up there as they would like to hunt. A few weeks ago, a black bear was caught on a cellular game camera checking out a tree stand 150 feet from our cabin. Very cool. Another cougar was on a photo about 600 feet from our cabin on the western side of our property.
Terry W.

View attachment 1729380

View attachment 1729381

View attachment 1729383
This was my place last night. Six bears is a new record on the camera. They are playing on and eating the alfalfa bales.
WLD_0013.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back