• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temperature Issues

Radiator repair shops will put radiators in a tank with chemicals to clean out corrosion, restoring the flow to new levels.
Sometimes the gunk inside will not come out and you end up with a bill for the service and a junk radiator.
Not if you deal with a reputable radiator shop, Kern. We would routinely send out radiators, where they would tank them and pressure-test them. If they were not good, we weren't charged. We would then tell the customer a replacement was required.

I have a local guy that charged half price if the radiator was deemed to be junk. Maybe it is naïve of me but it seemed that they did deserve something for making the effort.

I have a local guy that charged half price if the radiator was deemed to be junk. Maybe it is naïve of me but it seemed that they did deserve something for making the effort.
Maybe as a "sole" customer, yeah, I could see that. Back in the garage days, we were a usual customer so we only got charged for a rad that "passed". Unfortunately, a rad shop I'd used for many years since closed up. Seems those are few and far between anymore.

I'd copy as close to the factory max cool setup as possible, it worked then and it should work now. 26 inch radiator with shroud, stock 20 inch 7 blade clutch fan. You could try your luck with a repro or do like me and just recore an original one. I run 16 degrees of initial timing and 36 total, and only burn 100LL avgas. No cooling problems, no fuel boiling, no hot soak, no spark knock in a factory stock 440 with A/C. You could get away with 93 pump gas if you lower the compression, or better yet have aluminum heads.

Last edited:
I have 2 BB stroker motors, 570 amd 580 hp. Both with the same cooling setups and they don't run hot. 22 inch factory radiators recored at Glen Ray, factory shrouds, Hayden clutch fans on 216 blades, Flowkooler pumps, and full flow 180* thermostats. And agree with the above that if your timing is retarded, or your carb is running lean, that will contribute to a hot running engine.

Quick update. My wife got me a Flowkooler water pump for Father’s Day. Almost done with install. I also went back through a book of receipts that the seller of my car had and found a receipt from 2015 where he had the radiator gone through (pressure test, re-cored, etc). So I can at least cross that off my list (crazy he paid $400 to have the radiator work done). Will let everyone know how the temp goes when I drive it. Still need to check timing as well. Thanks again everyone for the input.

Radiator repair shops will put radiators in a tank with chemicals to clean out corrosion, restoring the flow to new levels.
Sometimes the gunk inside will not come out and you end up with a bill for the service and a junk radiator.
Back in the day after cleaning they would pull the top tank and run a rod down each tube. Last one I had done cost me $35 miss those days.

And sliced bread was $0.39 loaf and gasoline was $0.45/Gallon (high test).......welcome to reality.....
BOB RENTON
Reality is bread and gasoline are readily available but try to find a shop that rods out copper radiators.

Reality is bread and gasoline are readily available but try to find a shop that rods out copper radiators.
The premier radiator supplier/repair facility is : GLEN-RAY
Glen-ray Radiators, Inc. • 2105 North 6th Street • Wausau, WI 54403 • PH: 800.537.3775
Restorationradiators.com
call them
BOB RENTON

Bob at Glen-ray is a great guy to work with and I have one of his 26" radiators in my road runner. The down side is shipping cost and down time from California to Wisconsin.

Bob at Glen-ray is a great guy to work with and I have one of his 26" radiators in my road runner. The down side is shipping cost and down time from California to Wisconsin.
So what....the best is worth the wait and cost...just plan ahead...his warranty cannot be duplicated....
BOB RENTON

Quick update. My wife got me a Flowkooler water pump for Father’s Day. Almost done with install. I also went back through a book of receipts that the seller of my car had and found a receipt from 2015 where he had the radiator gone through (pressure test, re-cored, etc). So I can at least cross that off my list (crazy he paid $400 to have the radiator work done). Will let everyone know how the temp goes when I drive it. Still need to check timing as well. Thanks again everyone for the input.
So how did you make out?

So how did you make out?
Not great but not horrible. I put in a Flowkooler water pump. It helped about 5 to 10 degrees but car still got up to 220 in traffic with AC on. That doesn’t sound any butter but it was getting up there before even before I got in traffic. Long story short I am buying a different radiator. I checked timing, etc to make sure there weren’t other issues. I am leaning towards a cold case brand radiator. I was hopeful that the water pump would would make a bigger difference but that’s ok.

Make sure to use the recommended thermostat for the Flowcooler water pump to optimize the flow rate. You can cool a big block with a 22” radiator but everything has to be right. It took a while to get my GTX to cool properly, the radiator core was new along with everything else in the stock cooling system. My biggest problem turned out to be low speed air flow. The cooling fan/ fan clutch and shroud made the greatest difference.

If you can find a real radiator shop, they can sweat the tanks off and rod out the core. Stuff builds up in the tubes like old plumbing or your arteries if you eat too many cheeseburgers. It affects flow as well as heat transfer…

I
Make sure to use the recommended thermostat for the Flowcooler water pump to optimize the flow rate. You can cool a big block with a 22” radiator but everything has to be right. It took a while to get my GTX to cool properly, the radiator core was new along with everything else in the stock cooling system. My biggest problem turned out to be low speed air flow. The cooling fan/ fan clutch and shroud made the greatest difference.

If you can find a real radiator shop, they can sweat the tanks off and rod out the core. Stuff builds up in the tubes like old plumbing or your arteries if you eat too many cheeseburgers. It affects flow as well as heat transfer…
I got a new fan clutch, 18” fan and factory shroud put in before I went the hi flow water pump rout. So not sure what I can rule out at this point other than biting the bullet and upgrading the radiator to an aluminum. I was able to find a receipt from the previous owner that showed he had the radiator (it’s a factory 26” radiator) gone through, pressure tested, etc, back in 2016 so I would think my current radiator is doing everything it can.

I

I got a new fan clutch, 18” fan and factory shroud put in before I went the hi flow water pump rout. So not sure what I can rule out at this point other than biting the bullet and upgrading the radiator to an aluminum. I was able to find a receipt from the previous owner that showed he had the radiator (it’s a factory 26” radiator) gone through, pressure tested, etc, back in 2016 so I would think my current radiator is doing everything it can.
Rather than the "try this and if that doesn't work, try something else" syndrome, call:
Glen-ray Radiators, Inc. • 2105 North 6th Street • Wausau, WI 54403 • PH: 800.537.3775
Restorationradiators.com
call them....he's expensive but worth the wait and cost. I spent ~ $ 1400 for the 26" max cool option; for a numbers matching radiator......his guarantee is excellent; quality is worth the cost .....IMO.....don't waste your time with an aluminum maybe it'll work radiator or what your "buddy" thinks ....... BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Rather than the "try this and if that doesn't work, try something else" syndrome, call:
Restorationradiators.com
call them....he's expensive but worth the wait and cost. I spent ~ $ 1400 for the 26" max cool option; for a numbers matching radiator......his guarantee is excellent; quality is worth the cost .....IMO.....don't waste your time with an aluminum maybe it'll work radiator or what your "buddy" thinks ....... BOB RENTON
I wound up purchasing an aluminum radiator.
Restorationradiators.com
I don’t think there is anything damaged with my current 26” radiator. As I noted previously, it’s been gone through, pressure tested, recored, etc by the previous owner (I have the receipt). I am not concerned with not having the factory radiator as my car is not numbers matching or anything. I would up going with an aluminum radiator. It’s supposed to be delivered the first part of next week. I am very optimistic that this will fix my issue. I will post an update as soon as I get it installed and tested. This is a good time to test as it has been around 100 degrees here in Oklahoma seemingly for the last couple weeks.

I have 1968 charger with a 440. It is a factory non-AC car (doesn't have original motor). I installed a vintage air kit in it a few months back. The car ran hot during the "bad months" already and it seems to have gotten worse since I put the AC kit in. It had an oversized fan in it with no shroud. I put the correct 18.5" fan in it and got an OEM shroud. Seems to have helped a little but not a whole lot. Reading in some other forums it looks like there are different water pumps for AC/Non-AC cares (6 verse 8). Is that a good place to start? Thoughts/Opinions? I don't want to go the aluminum radiator route just yet because of cost. I drove it last weekend and it got up to almost 220 degrees. It was about 95 degrees outside. The temp seems to spike at idle and then drops down when I get going.
Have you tried to bleed the air out of the cooling system?

Have you tried to bleed the air out of the cooling system?
Bleeding air from the system only needs to be done once. After the t-stat opens for the first time, any entrapped air will be purged. Drilling a small hole (~ 1/8" diameter as everyone seems to recommend) in the t-stat valve plate/basket accomplishes nothing.....with the exception IF the head gasket is leaking allowing combustion byproducts to leak into the cooling system......then you need to replace the head gasket(s)......
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back